When buying 12"s...

AaronAaron 977 Posts
edited June 2005 in Strut Central
I'm having trouble justifying spending big bank on an original dance 12". Case in point, that Alpha Omega 12" with Donna McGhee on the A-Side and Ethel Beatty on the B-Side. Why not reissue?Exibit B:[/b] Exibit C:[/b] You get the picture.FORM METHOD=POST ACTION="http://soulstrut.com/ubbthreads/dopoll.php">INPUT TYPE=HIDDEN NAME="pollname" VALUE="1118021647Aaron">When buying 12"s...[/b]I buy the originalsI buy the reissuesI only buy reissues to fill in the gapsINPUT TYPE=Submit NAME=Submit VALUE="Submit vote" class="buttons">

Comments

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    Hi,

If you like the song enough, then I guess you'll drop dough on it...Nowadays, I'll only cop reissues if they are legit from the label & sound better than the og's. If not, I'll soulseek it if I'm feeling cheap. If it comes down to having a cruddy, free mp3 or a cruddy 11.99 repress/bootleg, I'll keep my $$$ & save it for an original down the line...

The infamous James Trouble expressed some interesting opnions on reissues on another board. I was surprised that the debate didn't move over to the 'strut.

Peace

h

• AaronAaron 977 Posts
    Hi,

If you like the song enough, then I guess you'll drop dough on it...

Actually, I'm saying that I won't if the song has been reissued.

• ariel_calmerariel_calmer 3,762 Posts
    The infamous James Trouble expressed some interesting opnions on reissues on another board. I was surprised that the debate didn't move over to the 'strut.

Oh, move over it did

For the record... talking shit about people who reissue classic funk tracks on 45s, as they were presented, versus CD compilations, is ridiculous. Not to mention hypocrical.

I generally am fine with reissues of 12"s, but for LPs I like to get the original, if possible. Depends on how pricey we're talking. I'm far more of an LP guy tho.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    it's all music

• Yes, it's all music.

While we're at it, anyone who sees this "PROMO" alike 12" around should know that it is a bootleg:

I'm telling this here because I see this bootleg on ebay all the time for the price of an OG and sellers act like they have no clue (insert your opinion here).

Also, i'm not even sure if the OG promo copy of this 12" looks like this one.

it's all music

• ayresayres 1,452 Posts
    it's all music
    it's all music
    it's all music
    it's all music
    it's all music
    it's all music

• i don't get paying big $$$$ for a 12" that you are going to be playing out all the time, it's gonna get messed up anyways why bother paying $$$$$

it's all music indeed

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts

MUSIC, PLAESE!

• Mr_Lee_PHDMr_Lee_PHD 2,042 Posts
    If I'm just buying 1 then I'll try and get the original press. If I'm buying doubles for getting tricky in the set then I'll go for reissues.

• erewhonerewhon 1,123 Posts
    I can't afford to pay the price for every 12" reissue I'm after. I'd rather take my chances finding 'em in some DJ's crates for $1-2, even if that means waiting a year or two.

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    i try not to spend more than $3 for most 12"s when im out in the field.

if its a reissue and the sound is nice then i might be tempted.. but for the most part if im in a shop that sells new records i'd prefer to spend my loot on new records...

there's soooo many great little labels dropping incredible 12"s that its nearly impossiible to keep up with all the new stuff as is .. so i tend to avoid the "disco classics" bins. that shit tends to sit around forever as well.

the other big problem is that the noise levels in most of the local shops is sooooooo heinous there's no way you could ever evaluate the pressing quality of alot of these reissues / boots , so its a waaay too much of a crap shoot.

• mrpekmrpek 627 Posts
    If I find it and can afford it. I buy it!

• AaronAaron 977 Posts
    I can see only buying origianls on collection pieces that'll never be Richard Simmons' brow -- holy grails like 24 Carat Black, Headless Heroes, and anything on ECM -- but for those pieces that are regularly gettin' sweaty, what is the point of dropping around a bill for a Sylvia Striplin 12"?

I probably just don't get it...

• mrpekmrpek 627 Posts
    Now with Alpha Omega's and etc. it isn't as common but back when you would hear someone rockin doubles of Rare's that were burned through to dust... you kinda had to grimace a bit.

• Options
    I might drop large loot once a month on a disco 12, but I'm not fiending to get everything under the sun. It's def in vogue right now, and you'd be stupid to be buying up stuff in such a high market - it's not going to go down too much, but the current volume of high quality reissues will calm the market IMO.

Tend to stick with what I find in collections and off-center stuff such as the Derrick Harriott track on Dimitri's comp.

Disco in the JA sense on the other hand....

K in Canada.

• AaronAaron 977 Posts

Disco in the JA sense on the other hand....

What's that?

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    word KL speaks truth... spending a bill on sylvia striplin is out of the question if you ask me... especially considering i've never paid more than 5 bones for anything on uno melodic.

right now im stickin with 83 - 87 brittish / euro synthpop and hi-nrg 12"s... a quick switch from 45 to 33 and yer usually in bizniz.

• Options
    Just means extended 12" mix - often with enhanced effects (primarily that "Boo Boo" sound prevalent through the easily attainable Studio 1 Disco compilation). Many of the effects crossed over to NA disco via Island roots (Bo Kool "Love Money").

Disco Devil

Keep On

K.