Non-urgent iMic mixer question

soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
edited January 2007 in Strut Central
For a couple of years I've had an old Numark DM2002X mixer hooked into my G5 via iMic for ripping vinyl to MP3. But to upgrade, I just tried swapping my Rane Empath with the Numark mixer. The Rane's "aux" and "booth" outputs to a set of computer speakers sounds fine, but using those same outputs to the iMic delivers only a crackly and unusable signal. I swapped back to the Numark and it still works fine. So it's not my cables, connections, or the iMic that's the problem; it has to be something about the Rane's output and how it works with the iMic or the G5. Anybody have ideas about why this is? Or better yet, how to correct the problem so that I can utilize the ostensibly better-sounding Rane for MP3 ripping instead of the cheapo Numark?Thanks!

Comments

• bthavbthav 1,538 Posts
    dumb question, but are you sending signal into the mic input by accident?

(fyi: im giten a friend to hound some rental joints in omaha, ill let you know what the word is)

• DJRELAXDJRELAX 452 Posts
    one is probably +4 and the other is -10, i dont own a rane but did you try all the outputs? is there a switch on the back that goes from '+4, -10 db' on it?

• dumb question, but are you sending signal into the mic input by accident?

Actually it *is* plugged into the input with the little "mic" icon, but that works fine with the Numark and it's the input I've always used. But I just noticed that little black switch in between the two iMic inputs. I've already stored the Rane, but next time I get it out I'll mess around with that switch and see if it makes a difference.

(fyi: im giten a friend to hound some rental joints in omaha, ill let you know what the word is)

Ha ha wow thanks! Dude Amit says he found a place but hasn't given me the details yet. If you have any references that would be helpful.

• yeah.. that lil switch on the iMic is for selecting between LINE IN or MIC on the 1/8 input. it might make all the difference if it's set for MIC right now.