Teaching yourself how to play piano?

mr.brettmr.brett 678 Posts
edited January 2007 in Strut Central
Has anyone here taught themselves how to play piano recently? Do you know of any online resources that are helpful for teaching yourself how to play piano? I'm interested in learning how to play because 1) I want to play blues piano and 2) I want to get into music production, and I think some basic skills and a little understanding of theory will really help me. I've got a roommate who plays piano and he said he would show me stuff, but I don't know how much time he is willing to spend with me.

Comments

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    Get lessons. No book can do what a piano teacher can do for you.

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    Get lessons. No book can do what a piano teacher can do for you.

Yuuup, if you do it yourself you will give yourself a repetitive stress injury like blam. Learning piano is so much about technique and form at the beginning.

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    use your ear (and get lessons if you can afford it)

• Get lessons. No book can do what a piano teacher can do for you.

I emailed the director of the community music program at the University of Missouri where I'm a grad student. Looks like they have lessons taught by undergrad and graduate slaves. Hopefully there's still space.
    For now I'm reading up on theory at wikipedia. I'm a drummer and can read sheet music for drumset, but I don't know much about tones. At least they won't have explain what a quarter note is.

• If you were in my situation (wanting to learn how to play blues piano and start producing music), would you buy a midi controller or a full out keyboard with midi capabilities. I can probably drop up to $400 on it.

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    with 400 why not get both?

also pick this up from the library.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0385142633/ref=pd_cp_d_title/002-8628792-7730408

- spidey

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    full out keyboard with midi capabilities.

• full out keyboard with midi capabilities.

Can anyone recommend any models or brands, I don't know anything about this stuff.

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    full out keyboard with midi capabilities.

Can anyone recommend any models or brands, I don't know anything about this stuff.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

im diggin the emu thus far. its cheap too, and dizzzope.