Stephanie McKay LIVE!!!

batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
edited June 2005 in Strut Central
I went to Brooklyn Academy of Music to see McKay for free. It was hot2death. Simple 4 piece band w/ 2 backup singers. She played some stuff from the first album and some shit from the upcoming album. Straight Neo-soul/Funk stuff. She opened with a Sly and the Family Stone cover. I cant wait for the new album.

Comments

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
    Is she the lady from Portishead? I could be wrong. I think I remember that name from a Grand Slam article. Btw, shorty is bad! (bad maening good).

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Is she the lady from Portishead? I could be wrong. I think I remember that name from a Grand Slam article. Btw, shorty is bad! (bad maening good).
    She Fronted the Brooklyn Funk Essentials in the 90s. the dude from portishead produced a song or 2 from her last album.

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
    ok...i knew she was somewhat Portishead related. need to check out her jams.

need to check out her jams.

Her album is good but not Genre defining.Ive got the cd but my homegirl has got the import wax. Im jealous but the cd has a video.

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    need to check out her jams.

Her album is good but not Genre defining.Ive got the cd but my homegirl has got the import wax. Im jealous but the cd has a video.

I have the wax as well, I felt it was a very good album. Not great, but very good.

She can also be heard in Soulive's "Romantic" (which is how I first heard her) and she did background vocals on Tricky's Blowback album. Now does that exist on vinyl? Would love to have that for the music, and the Anton Corbijn photo.

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    the dude from portishead produced a song or 2 from her last album.

I think he produced the whole album. I'll have to double-check, though.

Herm

• She was also one of the backup singers on Amp Fiddler's European tour and she killed it!

She was also one of the backup singers on Amp Fiddler's European tour and she killed it!

I saw her sing backup for Kelis, at the Bowery Ballroom. It was Kelis' NYC promo concert. Mckay was lookin good, playing rhythm guitar in an all girl band. Kelis rocked it. She did "hello" by Lionel Ritchie.