Multi-Colored Wax.

batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
edited June 2005 in Strut Central
Ive got a multi-colored sunburst marbled wax of Frisco Disco,12". Classic breakbeat that Slick Rick used for Mona Lisa.Ive got the Macy Gray 12" single remixed by Gangstarr w/ the grey/black/white swirl colored wax.Anybody got some crazy colored wax? NOT CLEAR COLORS. I just fall for those gimmicks.I wish I could post some pics.

Comments

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    Sold a Phantasm OST 12" which was yellow "blood splattered" vinyl. Looked kinda nasty/putrescent.
    T.N.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Sold a Phantasm OST 12" which was yellow "blood splattered" vinyl. Looked kinda nasty/putrescent.
    T.N.
    What year was it?

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    Those were cool. I know Bill Smith Custom Records still makes "blends like that"., where if you want it to look like "corn of diarrhea", you can. Giving new meaning to the phrase "scratch that shit".

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    What year was it?

I think it was promo only, definitely either 78 or 79.
    Peace
    T.N.

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    "corn of diarrhea"

that's the perfect description of this Beach Boy's Gimme The Night 12" i've got... browney yellow with all sorts of specs in it... nasty.

Those were cool. I know Bill Smith Custom Records still makes "blends like that"., where if you want it to look like "corn of diarrhea", you can. Giving new meaning to the phrase "scratch that shit".

That's what Im talkin' about.

Only 3 responses? Are these records rare, or should I say only era specific?
    Whenever I hunt I dont come up on alot of wax looking this way.

• LamontLamont 1,089 Posts
    Lotsa rock 7" (I can only think of RATM & White Stripes right now) have this.

Lotsa rock 7" (I can only think of RATM & White Stripes right now) have this.
    What RATM wax feature this? which single off of which album?

• jdeezjdeez 638 Posts
    spottieottiedopalicious 12" - pink marble vinyl.

• LamontLamont 1,089 Posts
    "Bullet In The Head" methinks

(Smiths 12")

Just found a few others in a Google search:

some Bob Dylan bootlegs:

Early 45 with Vangelis involvement:

Plasmatics:

A common term for these is "splatter", or "splatter vinyl", where it looks like someone got a paint brush and went crazy.

• djdazedjdaze 3,099 Posts
    here's a few my old roomate did on his punk label. the second and third ones are real subtle, hints of green in the yellow and white and red in the pink one. my favorites are the half and half clear blue and brown one and the white 7" with the color specks. That plasmatics one is dope as fuck.

• ayresayres 1,452 Posts
    Acid Rain riddim - all the 7"s are purple / multicolored with faux-Paisley Park label

• mordecaimordecai 2,204 Posts
    spottieottiedopalicious 12" - pink marble vinyl.

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
    The Dammed "Nasty" 12"

Supernatural 12"
    DJ Rectangle battle records. I'm sure it's just a trick of the eye but these thing seem huge when I'm scratching them. They are thicker, but I'm talking wider. Like I said I'm sure it's just a visual effect caused by the colors and the patterns.

• anasarcasmanasarcasm 365 Posts
    gold standard labs (a hardcore label...probably most famous for bands like mars volta and the locust) are well known for doing most releases on colored wax. the whole colored wax thing is probably most prevalent in punk circles...to denote pressing.

GSL colored wax gallery

as far as hip-hop de la-clearlake comes to mind

As we're talking about this, I have a 7" right here that's splattered a bit. It's the 7" by Stikky on Slap-A-Ham, porcelain green with yellow and black splatter. My camera isn't working, but this is the picture sleeve:

There was also a compilation on Scat Records out of Cleveland, a Xmas 7" EP featuring a great song by Puff Tube called "Let's Shave Rudolph". That one was Christmas green with what looks like red blood dripping, and small bits of white.

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    I have a bunch of punk/hardcore vinyl that is multi-colored. Very cool.

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    My favorite multi colored wax I have is this 11 record psych boxset put out by moxie. It's called the Boulders box set north american box. The vinyl are all different and really colorful. The music is rad, comparable to the Pebbles comps. Its very limited limited, they only made 100 sets. Mine is #37 which happens to be my favorite number. As long as I can remember that # pops up in my everyday life very frequently.

• mimmim 44 Posts

there's a funk/soul comp in shades-of-brown vinyl, "smokin' soul", something like that, i got one from that australian guy... john, i think he posts here as well.

that trippy-colored wax looks ok to me, but i hate picture discs. plain stupid. kitsch. so 80s. also, it's hard to see on them how G- they are...