Kitsch Cinematographystrut.

Mr_Lee_PHDMr_Lee_PHD 2,042 Posts
edited January 2007 in Strut Central
I watched The Virgin Suicides the other night but what really impressed me about it was the cinematography. It reminded me of the way Jackie Brown was filmed.Anyone who has seen either knows what I'm talking about.. all the really unnecessary but simple, carefully thought out shots and cuts that give it such a great and memorable vibe.Eg: In Jackie Brown: The split screen thing, the little added shots like the car ride with Max Cherry where it cuts to a shot of the slider going to 'Drive' on the dashboard and when Jackie slides down the window on the and it cuts to the side view.Anyone know any other films with the same kind of vibe of cinematography?Its the bomb and I need more.Paece. Lee.

Comments

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    If you're interested in framing and structure of shots rather than the editing can't recommend Wong Kaw Wai's In The Mood For Love highly enough. The thought that has gone into every shot is breathtaking - the film would have half the impact without the mood created by the cinematography.

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    It's been years since I've seen any of his films, but I think Peter Greenaway has a pretty unconventional approach to cinematography. Speaking of using split screen techniques, "The Pillow Book" comes to mind. His catalogue is pretty tough to digest for the average viewer, and very on the "artsy" side, but he's definitely trying to do something different.

• Mr_Lee_PHDMr_Lee_PHD 2,042 Posts
    Excellent. I'll czech em both.

Yeah, theres so much to be said for the minor details and how things are done. It brings so much to the film.. even right down to what mm film it was shot on.

• Any and every Wes Anderson film ("royal tenenbaums", "life aquatic" etc...) has the nuttiest framing and cheeky camera trickery. As does all Michel Gondry stuff(especially in his music videos-- anyone got that 'directors series' dvd of all his music videos???? amazing stuff. Harmony Korine's "gummo" has some pretty beautiful cinematography in it aswell...

• PunditPundit 438 Posts
    on the more mainstream tip the coen brothers do some real purdy films. O brother comes to mind.

• gravelheadwrapgravelheadwrap corn 948 Posts
    on the main stream tip as well, i thought little miss sunshine had great cinematography as well as use of color

• DrJoelDrJoel 932 Posts
    Paul Thomas Anderson is my main man. Magnolia is a beautiful looking film. Hard Eight had its moments in that regard as well as did Punch Drunk Love.

• most of the greats of the early 20th century relied heavily on this "kitsch cinematography" thing. though i wouldnt necessarily qualify it as kitsch. pre-digital effects, like wipes and split screens and vignetting n shit. i really like abel gance's shit. and dodes like godard used it to great effect, though im no fan of godard. um, im sure there's more. kurosawa, i mean, the wipes n shit. it really added to the flicks.

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    Punch Drunk Love.

i rarely hear much talk about this at all, but i liked this movie

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts
    "Before Night Falls" (2000), had the sweetest cinematography in a film than I remember that deserves a watch.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    If you're interested in framing and structure of shots rather than the editing can't recommend Wong Kaw Wai's In The Mood For Love highly enough.
    The thought that has gone into every shot is breathtaking
    - the film would have half the impact without the mood created by the cinematography.

Nice pick.

The Australian Christopher Doyle is the cinematographer on most of Wong Kar-wai's work, also check 2046, Six Days and Chungking Express.

Though there are many other good films he's worked on, with Wong KAr-Wai, and also with other directors, both in Asia and elsewhere.

definately

Another personal favourite of mine is Fabio Cianchetti (La Terra, Besieged, The dreamers) who's work a lot with Bernardo Bertolucci,
    personal favourites at the moment are Besieged and The Sheltering Sky.

I can't say I'm convinced by either Sofia Coppela, or Tarantino though.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Just to be clear here, I don't think we are
    actually talking about cinematography with
    many of these films. Framing and angles are
    generally handled by the director, although in
    many cases the DP/cinematographer is given complete
    control of camera setups (according to the director's
    wishes) and will make framing and placement decisions,
    so some of these things can fall under cinematgraphy.
    Split screens, wipes, and other trickery mostly fall under editing
    and post-production, although may have been planned in
    advance by the director and/or art director.

Cinematography is mainly in reference to the photographic
    quality and atmosphere of the film - so, a well-lit shot
    would be good cinematography, and a highly stylized and
    maybe say use of saturated color in a scene would be kitsch
    cinematography ... but split-screens and tricky segues
    are something else altogether.

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    christopher doyle is a drunken douchebag, but he is one talented douchebag.

days of being wild is not too shabby either.

• erewhonerewhon 1,123 Posts
    Just to be clear here, I don't think we are
    actually talking about cinematography with
    many of these films. Framing and angles are
    generally handled by the director, although in
    many cases the DP/cinematographer is given complete
    control of camera setups (according to the director's
    wishes) and will make framing and placement decisions,
    so some of these things can fall under cinematgraphy.
    Split screens, wipes, and other trickery mostly fall under editing
    and post-production, although may have been planned in
    advance by the director and/or art director.

Cinematography is mainly in reference to the photographic
    quality and atmosphere of the film - so, a well-lit shot
    would be good cinematography, and a highly stylized and
    maybe say use of saturated color in a scene would be kitsch
    cinematography ... but split-screens and tricky segues
    are something else altogether.

• dziga vertov is purdy awesome in this area