yo Funkmaster Flex gets my respect because of....

matamaticmatamatic 488 Posts
edited January 2007 in Strut Central
http://funkmasterflex.podomatic.com/All of these big name dj's that are on their towns version of "hot 97" wouldNEVER EVER do some shit like flex did with this. Check the "greatest records of all time" parts 1-5. Old school hip hop headsSTAND UP! Yeah I know he ain't the nicest on the wheels. And I know the story about the payola and whatever, but I give him props for giving old school (REAL old school) hip hop some burn in this day and age.

Comments

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    http://funkmasterflex.podomatic.com/

All of these big name dj's that are on their towns version of "hot 97" would
    NEVER EVER do some shit like flex did with this. Check the "greatest records of all time" parts 1-5. Old school hip hop heads
    STAND UP!

Yeah I know he ain't the nicest on the wheels. And I know the story about the payola and whatever, but I give him props for giving old school (REAL old school) hip hop some burn in this day and age.

I don't know how anybody could disrespect Flex.

• And Flex plays that kind of shit pretty much any day.

• but on an everyday tip, i just tune in to the "throwback @ noon" with Mr. Cee

or "Old School @ Noon" with Uncle Red Alert for the half hour version.

doing it everyday in 2007.

• kennykenny 1,024 Posts
    wow

i gotta visit New York one of these days.

• And Flex plays that kind of shit pretty much any day.

I guess I was going by what I read and how everyone talks about how "rap/hip hop radio sucks now". I guess that statement doesn't apply to old school shows right?

Man alot of mix dj's on the radio can't even go back that far in the crates..and if they do it's rappers delight and the message which is cool but you know...

• DrJoelDrJoel 932 Posts

but on an everyday tip, i just tune in to the "throwback @ noon" with Mr. Cee

Philly used to have an Old school rap hour at noon a while ago on Power 99, i haven't listened to radio for rap in quite some time, but i do remember this from a few years ago. I forget who the DJ was at the time, anyone?

• mordecaimordecai 2,204 Posts
    funkmasterflex.com kinda makes my eyes burn tho

And Flex plays that kind of shit pretty much any day.

I guess I was going by what I read and how everyone talks about how "rap/hip hop radio sucks now". I guess that statement doesn't apply to old school shows right?

Well, the regular rotation on NY rap radio is awful. They barely play rap at all anymore--just Fergie and lots of reggaeton.

But if you tune into the final hour or so of Flex's show, you usually won't be disappointed. A few weeks ago he closed out with a series of Cold Crush tapes.

And most of the mixtape dudes that have the midnight slot are good. I always check for Green Lantern... Whoo Kid makes my ears bleed, though.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts

but on an everyday tip, i just tune in to the "throwback @ noon" with Mr. Cee

Philly used to have an Old school rap hour at noon a while ago on Power 99, i haven't listened to radio for rap in quite some time, but i do remember this from a few years ago. I forget who the DJ was at the time, anyone?

Probably Doc B, one of the best DJs in the game, in ANY city.

• http://funkmasterflex.podomatic.com/

All of these big name dj's that are on their towns version of "hot 97" would
    NEVER EVER do some shit like flex did with this. Check the "greatest records of all time" parts 1-5. Old school hip hop heads
    STAND UP!

Yeah I know he ain't the nicest on the wheels. And I know the story about the payola and whatever, but I give him props for giving old school (REAL old school) hip hop some burn in this day and age.

I don't know how anybody could disrespect Flex.

i've heard some great sets and some really lazy ones. i agree that he deserves respect but he definitely doesnt bring his A game to every show. the last time i saw him was a few years ago and when opened up for a tribe reunion show. there were a few other djs ahead of him and he must have told them not to play any biggie records cause thats basically all he spun. he kept the mic pinned between his shoulder and his neck and i dont even think he was using headphones, just scratching or dropping in the first beat of every song. this would have been fine if he killed it on the mic, but he really didnt say much.

i saw biz do a similar type of set about 10 years ago (not much mixing or scratching) before a krs show and he had the crowd going nuts - just being funny and charismatic. at the time, the benjamins had just come out and he was doing this classic old school set, but he kept stopping the records and throwing benjamins back on. people were jumping out of their seats.

• Is there anywhere tracklists of the shows?

• ayresayres 1,452 Posts

i've heard some great sets and some really lazy ones. i agree that he deserves respect but he definitely doesnt bring his A game to every show.

He does around 300 shows a year, 3 -4 hours per show. What do you expect?

i've heard some great sets and some really lazy ones. i agree that he deserves respect but he definitely doesnt bring his A game to every show.

[KVH]He should be aware of those nights when I tune in and do something special.[/KVH]

• tonyphronetonyphrone 1,500 Posts

• DeeRockDeeRock 1,836 Posts
    And Flex plays that kind of shit pretty much any day.

Man alot of mix dj's on the radio can't even go back that far in the crates..and if they do it's rappers delight and the message which is cool but you know...

I'm finally back on the radio after a few year hiatus and low and behold I do the "Throwback" show. Well I came in all excited and couldn't wait and dropped nothing but the joints. Well, after the very first show the PD sat down with me and said it wasn't really what they thought it was gonna be and could I play stuff like "Rappers delight" and songs that everyone knows!

• or "Old School @ Noon" with Uncle Red Alert for the half hour version.

nice, even in this pic Red was already bout 10 years deep in it...respect.

• DeeRockDeeRock 1,836 Posts
    So I'm listening to this right now and I played the exact same records on my throwback show. I'm gonna see if we podcast or have online broadcasting.

• i've heard some great sets and some really lazy ones. i agree that he deserves respect but he definitely doesnt bring his A game to every show.

[KVH]He should be aware of those nights when I tune in and do something special.[/KVH]

you wont hear any of the good mixshow djs here (philly) have any lazy sets where they just drop mix with some sound effects. im sure the average listener doesnt really care, but its a let down (for me) to drive through nyc and hear flex suck. i still have a bunch of dubbed tapes from '94 where he kills every mix. sounds lazy to me.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    in chicago we have boolumaster, who is incredible

(also dudes like kid scratch, dj lil john, etc who are really, really good)

• JimBeamJimBeam Seattle. 2,012 Posts
    What SD lacks in mixshow radio deejays, LA more than makes up for. Their shows have been gettin shifted all around amongst format changes and stuff, but LA traffic at a standstill is absolutely tolerable when a Beat Junkie is killin it on the airwaves.

• What SD lacks in mixshow radio deejays, LA more than makes up for. Their shows have been gettin shifted all around amongst format changes and stuff, but LA traffic at a standstill is absolutely tolerable when a Beat Junkie is killin it on the airwaves.

Mr Choc on Power 106 is one of my favorites, I don't haven't listened in a while and don't always like the music he plays but he is always on point.

• JimBeamJimBeam Seattle. 2,012 Posts
    yeah, about 2-3 years ago on power 106 seemed like the heyday of the fantastic 4 show. shit was incredible. choc and j-rocc would KILL IT consistently. Yeah, they had mandated playlists, but who cares what tepid shit was gettin played? they were absolutley fuckin it up w/ doubles and remixes. j and the damn horn drops every three seconds. i loved it.