Dr. King Tribute Songs (MLK RR)

SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
edited January 2007 in Strut Central
So, I'm on the air this Monday, and would of courselike to play at least a short set of music in tributeto Martin Luther King, Jr. Unfortunately, I'm a little shorton stuff to play (although I may have tracks in my collectionI am forgetting) ... I'll probably play the Miracles versionof Abraham, Martin & John - and I have the Big Maybelle 45,"Heaven Will Welcome You, Dr. King" on Rojac.Post up any titles you can think of, maybe I can dig 'emup and of course any MP3 action is beyond welcome.Also, if anyone has Nathan Davis' "Suite to Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr."already on MP3, maybe you could post it up - I think everybodywould be into that.Sorry to make this a "gimme" post, I'll post MP3 of my trackswhen I dig them out, too, and it can be more about sharing songsin tribute to MLK than programming my radio show. Thanks.

Comments

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    Badfoot Brown-Martin's Funeral.
    A necessity/essential.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    I've always liked The Bilesse Singers' "Memories Of Dr. King."

Sorry - can't go from 45 to mp3.

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts

King Holiday - The King Dream Chorus and Holiday Crew(1986)

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Seems a little obvious but, Stevie Wonder Happy Birthday. While you've got Hotter Than July out I would play Jamming. Stevie has a bunch of other songs that would be nice to hear on Martin Luther King Day, You Haven't Done Nothing, Living For The City and the history one off of SITKOL. Speaking of history I like the Gil Scott Heron song off of Moving Target.

Staple Singers Freedom Highway.

Pop Staples Why Am I Treated So Bad

Every performer who played at rallies with Martin Luther King tells this story; "When ever I played at a rally or in church with Martin Luther King he always said that _________ was his favorite song and asked me to sing it." For the Staples Singers it was Why Am I Treated So Bad, just before he died Pops recorded it with a spoken rememberance of MLK.

For Mahalia Jackson it was Eye On The Sparrow I think. I know I've heard others tell the exact same story, Belafonte, Peter Paul and Mary...

Try to find some songs from the Freedom Singers, I recommend Dog Dog. The Freedom Singers were associated with SNCC which was at odds with SCLC which was King's group, but that is old history. Also Eye On The Prize.

Bernice Johnson of the Freedom Singers went on to form Sweet Honey In The Rock who have no shortage of songs that would be nice to hear on that day.

James Brown Say It Loud

Aretha Think

Sam Cooke A Change Is Gonna

Miriam Makeba Come Go To Glory

Josh White Free And Equal Blues

Wade In The Water

Max Roach Freedom Suite

Unless you want to limit yourself to songs that mention King the choices are endless.

I'm sure you can find MP3 the internets, but start picking up albums for next year because we are talking good music here.

• "I Have A Dream" speech in its entirety with a little groove....

HERE

peace

• and also "Holiday" by Roy Ayers just recently issued and remixes by K. Dope and Spinna. Could upload Spinna's mix on request...just holla.

Lyrics to Martin Luther King's Favorite Song According to google:

"If I can help somebody as I pass along/ If I can cheer somebody with a word or song/ If I can show somebody he's traveling wrong/ Then my living will not be in vain."

I can not seem to find the name of the song these words are from.

In the I Have A Dream Speech he mentions the "words of the old Negro spiritual Free At Last..." Last year I tried to find the name of that spiritual and I could not.

Other MLK favorite songs from a google search:
    Mahalia Jackson Precious Lord
    His Eye Is On the Sparrow
    Pete Seeger We Shall Over Come

I can't find any more, but I know I have heard a variety of performers say that their version of such and such was Kings favorite song.

• BashirBashir 25 Posts
    James Chapman- In Memory of Martin Luther King. Nice sad soul song.

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    Archie Shepp "Dr. King, The Peaceful Warrior" from "Things Have Got To Change".

And if your listeners can handle some classic house stuff:

Mr. Fingers "Can You Feel It (Martin Luther King Mix)"

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    There's a few Folkways records with recordings of songs from the Civil Rights movement. I've got one but not with me right now, otherwise I'd mp3 it up.

• there's that Nina Simone song, "the King of Love is Dead" (or something). it's on a live album, i think "Nuff Said", that they recorded the day or the day after he was killed. moving stuff, i usually pull that one out for the occasion.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    So, I'm on the air this Monday, and would of course
    like to play at least a short set of music in tribute
    to Martin Luther King, Jr. Unfortunately, I'm a little short
    on stuff to play (although I may have tracks in my collection
    I am forgetting) ... I'll probably play the Miracles version
    of Abraham, Martin & John - and I have the Big Maybelle 45,
    "Heaven Will Welcome You, Dr. King" on Rojac.

Post up any titles you can think of, maybe I can dig 'em
    up and of course any MP3 action is beyond welcome.

Also, if anyone has Nathan Davis' "Suite to Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr."
    already on MP3, maybe you could post it up - I think everybody
    would be into that.

Sorry to make this a "gimme" post, I'll post MP3 of my tracks
    when I dig them out, too, and it can be more about sharing songs
    in tribute to MLK than programming my radio show. Thanks.

Thanks to everyone who responded, and I did download the
    Nancy Dupree, which was great. If anybody has any other
    songs to list, or has MP3 of the tribute tracks mentioned
    above, I'd love to hear them.

As promised, here are the two tracks I had that I am going
    to play, the Miracles & the Big Maybelle (which is amazing)
    as well as the Nancy Dupree track:

Smokey & the Miracles - Abraham, Martin & John - Motown 1969

Big Maybelle - Heaven Will Welcome You, Dr. King - Rojac 1968

Nancy Dupree - Docta King - Folkways 1969

Thank you those were great. I love that Folkways sound where you can hear the room itself. The horns in that Big Maybell song just explode.

Post up a play list after show if you get time.

• You should play "Shed a Little Light" by James Taylor. I think the crowd would enjoy that song.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Stevie Wonder - Saturn

• phatmoneysackphatmoneysack Melbourne 1,124 Posts
    Liquid People - Dreams (Martins Mix) on So True

Its a laid back jazzy house track with Martin Luther King's "I have a dream speech" laid over the top of it.

• i was always wondering if that song on the Air album was about MLK. It kept mentioning Martin and was real melancholy. I forget why i thought it might be. anyone listen to it recently?

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    You should play "Shed a Little Light" by James Taylor. I think the crowd would enjoy that song.

Sorry, I've already got "Shower the People" penciled in.

• d_wordd_word 666 Posts
    Badfoot Brown-Martin's Funeral.

Such a beautiful track. Great on so many levels.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    You'll want to turn the sound down tho.

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Hey,

Here are some:

-"Just a Dream"(exact title? Record not before me-related)-Donny Hathaway.
    -"Word Play"-Stephen Stills.
    -"A Change Gonna Come"-Sam Cooke; The Greatest Little Soul Band in the World (ft. J.J. Johnson).
    -"Together"-Cannonball Adderley Quintet (sort of).

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    I'm suprised nobody mentioned Public Enemy - By The Time I get to Arizona.....

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    I'm suprised nobody mentioned Public Enemy - By The Time I get to Arizona.....

I've been bumpin' that LOUDLY all morning.

Herm

• pknypkny 549 Posts

Holy shit, this is good. Thanks so much for sharing.