What shall I put at the top of my queue on Netflix

SouthCrackalackSouthCrackalack 3,853 Posts
edited January 2007 in Strut Central
I am on the 2 dvd/disc at a time deal. My girl and I like to get one dvd that I REALLY want to see, and she gets something that usually, we both dig(which is great). But, I am the one that will get and kind of music related shit, or the weirda or tripped out artsy shit, ya dig? I'm also BIG COMEDY fan...bI do like the sarcastic type shit..or if it's clever as fuck..lots of types of shit that I know a of lot of strutters dig too, since I have seen certain mentions of things here and there. Basically what i'm getting at..is how about some suggestions of shit you think i'd dig..(sure some of it I have already seen, but I havent even went through and updated my "Q" since we joined, so I am sure there are all kinds of dope shit that has came out in the past few years that slipped right through the cracks. I like all kinds of shit..so just name some shit that are MUST SEEs. I'm ready to update my list HARDCORE style after this post...so drop that knowledge,god.Thanks 'Strut,Heath.

Comments

• djkingottodjkingotto 1,704 Posts
    check out "the cruise." its a documentary style black and white joint featuring a tour guide in new york city and his endless facts and yammering. dude is officially nuts, but dope as hell at the same time.

• this is what I am talking about..good recommendations start pouring in!!!

• SnagglepusSnagglepus 1,756 Posts
    check out "the cruise."

Serious ... Speed Levitch is on some other s**t. Recommended.

If you dig early electronic music, the documentaries on Robert Moog, Leon Theremin, and Bruce Haack are all worth a peek.

• Yeah, I saw the one on Theremin, cool stuff..I bet the Moog one is great. Thanks for the suggestions. More, more, more!!!

If you dig early electronic music, the documentaries on Robert Moog, Leon Theremin, and Bruce Haack are all worth a peek.

• I love Amelie. It's got really witty humor. It's a French film, but don't let that stop you from getting it. After five minutes I usually forget that I'm reading subtitles and settle into the movie.

• I love Amelie. It's got really witty humor. It's a French film, but don't let that stop you from getting it. After five minutes I usually forget that I'm reading subtitles and settle into the movie.

yeah we(my ol' lady) already has it. She fucking LOVES it(along with a lot of foreign films)

Thanks!

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    Off the top of my head:

La Haine - Great French film about racial tensions in neighborhoods bordering Paris. Black & White, brilliantly shot.
    Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind - Michel Gondry (who did music videos for Bjork, the Foo Fighters, the Chemical Brothers, Daft Punk) at his best. Great if you enjoy a more serious Jim Carrey.
    Tom Dowd & The Language of Music - If you haven't seen this already, you must. Very well done documentary about legendary producer Tom Dowd, who did the Derek & The Dominos Layla sessions, most of the peak Arethra stuff, Allman Brothers, etc etc. A true pioneer.

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts
    Absolutely necessary is Werner Herzog's Cobra Verde. It's long and at times slow--like all of his films--but it is amazing (and Popul Vuh does the music).

Akira Kurosawa's Seven Samurai.

• bthavbthav 1,538 Posts
    I love Amelie. It's got really witty humor. It's a French film, but don't let that stop you from getting it. After five minutes I usually forget that I'm reading subtitles and settle into the movie.

yeah we(my ol' lady) already has it. She fucking LOVES it(along with a lot of foreign films)

Thanks!

check out Marc Caro and Jean-Pierre Jeunet's other stuff. City of Lost Children is a classic.

One mentioned in the thread Fatback linked to:

Gozu

This image ought to tell the story ...

• buttonbutton 1,475 Posts
    If you enjoy unconventional films, My Dinner With Andre is a pretty good one.

for old films, The Third Man is a surefire classic

Au Hasard Balthazar changed my whole notion of what a movie can be

Honorable mentions for Blood Simple and Spirit of the Beehive

• buttonbutton 1,475 Posts
    check out "the cruise." its a documentary style black and white joint featuring a tour guide in new york city and his endless facts and yammering. dude is officially nuts, but dope as hell at the same time.

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    Wattstax (1973)

Our Latin Thing (1972)
    Nuestra Cosa

- spidey

• djkingottodjkingotto 1,704 Posts

Honorable mentions for Blood Simple and Spirit of the Beehive

Blood Simple - yes! Cohen Brothers first big film. I thought they could do no wrong until that intolerable "Intolerable Cruelty" crap..

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    Our Latin Thing (1972)
    Nuestra Cosa

- spidey
    this is worth renting for the intro alone!
    does anybody here use the blockbuster service? does it come close to netflix in terms of obscure dvds?

• Our Latin Thing (1972)
    Nuestra Cosa

- spidey
    this is worth renting for the intro alone!

does anybody here use the blockbuster service? does it come close to netflix in terms of obscure dvds?

I just started the blockbuster deal, netflix was way too slow for me (3-4 day mailing time) as far as blockbusters selection - they have most of the dvds netflix would but not "Our Latin Thing"

But back to the topic may I suggest "Idiocracy" by Mike Judge, just came out today
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0387808/

• PABLOPABLO 1,921 Posts
    But back to the topic may I suggest "Idiocracy" by Mike Judge, just came out today
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0387808/

Yup just saw it, pretty funny.