JOHN LEGEND- THE NEXT STEVIE OR UNMITIGATED HACK?

Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts
edited April 2005 in Strut Central
Well, which is he? I hated "Ordinary People" at first but it's grown on me a little bit after hearing it incessantly for the past month or so (plus it's my daughter's favorite song other than anything by Usher). So is he deserving of pop/soul icon status or is he better suited twinkling the keys and singing covers in a 2-bit lounge in Jersey, hoping his tip glass will fill up with enough dollar bills to pay for the cabride home? DISCUSS.

Comments

• TREWTREW 2,037 Posts
    i think dude is onto something.

hopefully kanye will keep his 'influence' to himself and let john do his thing.

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
    Agreed he could easily go the sappy route, but I've liked his two hits so far. I vote to keep John Legend on the island.

People who bought this record also bought:
    Musiq Soulchild, Anthony Hamilton, Raheem Devaughn

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts

No dude, I'm B-LIST[/b], he's C-LIST[/b].

• coselmedcoselmed 1,114 Posts
    I'm not really feeling him, but I like the "house" version of Ordinary People they play on Hot97 at night.

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
    I'm not really feeling him, but I like the "house" version of Ordinary People they play on Hot97 at night.

Then you'll absolutely love the Heavy Metal remix 12" version where they turn the song into a rock power ballad. Not sure what the target market was on that one. Nu-Soul fans who want to broaden their horizons but not so far that they end up adding USE YOUR ILLUSION to their collection? Queensryche fans looking for something "heavy" but still "musical"? John Legend fans who want to make absolutely sure it's ok to hold up their lighters when they hear this song?

BAFFLED IN NC

• coselmedcoselmed 1,114 Posts
    the Heavy Metal remix 12" version where they turn the song into a rock power ballad

That sounds pretty awesome...I'm a big fan of the "Monster Ballad." Which radio station are they playing it on? G-105 or K97.5?

• No dude, I'm B-LIST[/b], he's C-LIST[/b].

The real question:

John Legend--Black Enough For Romania????

• catchdubscatchdubs 492 Posts
    rock power ballad

not QUITE a rock power ballad, the start of that song is actually kind of cool in a minor-key, mid 90s hiphop kinda way. especially with the rim-hits replacing the snare. but i agree it cheeses up once the guitars come in.

• ayresayres 1,452 Posts

No dude, I'm B-LIST[/b], he's C-LIST[/b].

• Well, which is he? I hated "Ordinary People" at first but it's grown on me a little bit after hearing it incessantly for the past month or so (plus it's my daughter's favorite song other than anything by Usher). So is he deserving of pop/soul icon status or is he better suited twinkling the keys and singing covers in a 2-bit lounge in Jersey, hoping his tip glass will fill up with enough dollar bills to pay for the cabride home? DISCUSS.

For me, he's falls more in the 'wet blanket' column. I quite liked the Kanye joint - used to love u(?) - so I took a chance on the album. Stuck the CD in the car and drove off to work, listened to the majority of it, but it was so lyrically and sonically syrupy it left me and the girlfriend feeling pretty nauseated. It's all like 'my beautiful black queen'....'soooo sincerely baby'....'candles n' incense' etc etc etc - horribly cloying.

I also have issues with his voice, it's just plain irritating. I could pretty much listen to all of Stevies 'good' work back to back and never get tired of his vocals, but over two tracks of John Legend had me reaching for the eject button/sickbag. Comparisons between him and any great (or even good) soul artists is pretty trite stuff. I reckon people want a new saviour of soul so bad that they'll throw that title at pretty much anyone who shows a bit of promise. For the record I'd put Dwele in that category as well - mad overrated.

I binned the CD as soon as I got home.

• DigginDiggin 319 Posts
    Personally, one of the better (most consistent) "neo-soul" records in the last years. Unlike many other similar artists (like a lot of Hidden beach and indy stuff) his music doesn't sound like "elevator music" , there's substance in his music IMO. I saw him live a few months ago and it was quite good.

• TREWTREW 2,037 Posts
    there's substance in his music IMO. I saw him live a few months ago and it was quite good.

haven't been myself but aparrently his current tour with alicia is killin it (if you like pianist/vocalists)

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    Just saw his CD on sale next to the register at Starbuck's. I'm just sayin'.

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    I bought the CD for my girlfriend the day it came out. She listens to it all the time. I think it's great. Very consistent record, which is a rarity in today's world of singles.

• RaystarRaystar 1,106 Posts
    I think it too early to tell, I feel him but am not crazy about him.

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts
    He gets real Sammy Davis Jr. with the way he sings some of his words sometimes.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    He's from Philly. Remember a dude who used to perform around town, John Stevens? That's him. He went to Penn.

He ain't all that bad.

• TREWTREW 2,037 Posts

He ain't all that bad.

sayin, alotta folks i've spoke w/ seem to think he was gonna be the next d'angelo. but dude is doing his own thing. can't hate on that.

• I don't know. I like dude, he reminds me of Joe Jackson.

• BUMP.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    If the spectrum is between Stevie and hack, I'd have to say Legend falls closer to "hack" than "Wonder".

Then again, so do most people.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    5 years later = Garbage

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    To be fair, Stevie turned into mush, too.

[/devil emoticon]

[/devil emoticon]

after 30 years not 5

• JectWonJectWon (@_@) 1,654 Posts

[/devil emoticon]

after 30 years not 5

Nah'ledge dropped....

Hind site it 20/20 but it's definitely fair to say Legend ain't anywhere close to Stevie. Is it possible for a Stevie Wonder to emerge from today's main stream music scene, though? It doesn't seem like you can be a serious/dope artist and get the scans that some autotuned hot mess would get today. I know the argument is old as hell at this point but, even if Legend had some legendary shit rolling around in his brain we'd never be able to hear it as he might have wanted it to sound without the McMainstream influence making it shite'...

• the Sammy Davis Jr comparison is spot on

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts

[/devil emoticon]

after 30 years not 5

Nah'ledge dropped....

Hind site it 20/20 but it's definitely fair to say Legend ain't anywhere close to Stevie. Is it possible for a Stevie Wonder to emerge from today's main stream music scene, though? It doesn't seem like you can be a serious/dope artist and get the scans that some autotuned hot mess would get today. I know the argument is old as hell at this point but, even if Legend had some legendary shit rolling around in his brain we'd never be able to hear it as he might have wanted it to sound without the McMainstream influence making it shite'...

Question: Who has the talent of Stevie Wonder right now?

• JectWonJectWon (@_@) 1,654 Posts

[/devil emoticon]

after 30 years not 5

Nah'ledge dropped....

Good point...and I think the answer is no one in the mainstream. To me, the question reminds me of the Quincy Jones quote when he was asked if the Kanye being a young Quincy was accurate; his answer was "no comparison" and me made examples of the fact that Quincy is a musician who practiced his craft for 28 years before anyone knew who he was and actually plays and composes music. It's possibly arrogant but it's spot on.

It reminds me of the Legend/Wonder question because although Legend actually plays an instrument and can sing...he ain't even near Stevie on the epic status. That footage of young Wonder playing the harmonica, then getting on the piano then getting on the drums and ripping all of said instruments while singing as well is just crazy...I mean this is a dude who supposedly made Marvin Gaye say "don't ever let that blind cripple open for me again" due to him stealing the show..and he was like 18 years old or something.

So yeah....I don't think anyone has the talent of Stevie Wonder. Mainstream crippling talent excuses or not.

[/devil emoticon]

after 30 years not 5

Nah'ledge dropped....

Good point...and I think the answer is no one in the mainstream. To me, the question reminds me of the Quincy Jones quote when he was asked if the Kanye being a young Quincy was accurate; his answer was "no comparison" and me made examples of the fact that Quincy is a musician who practiced his craft for 28 years before anyone knew who he was and actually plays and composes music. It's possibly arrogant but it's spot on.

It reminds me of the Legend/Wonder question because although Legend actually plays an instrument and can sing...he ain't even near Stevie on the epic status. That footage of young Wonder playing the harmonica, then getting on the piano then getting on the drums and ripping all of said instruments while singing as well is just crazy...I mean this is a dude who supposedly made Marvin Gaye say "don't ever let that blind cripple open for me again" due to him stealing the show..and he was like 18 years old or something.

So yeah....I don't think anyone has the talent of Stevie Wonder. Mainstream crippling talent excuses or not.