studiostrut: acoustics, monitor, placement

pjl2000xlpjl2000xl 1,795 Posts
edited January 2007 in Strut Central
Aight ive been remodeling the studio and would like to do some DIY acoustic dampening and adsorption. I want to know about building bass traps (ive heard using mineral fiber in a makeshift box will work, but how many do i need and whats the prime location for them - intersecting corners?), acoustic foam (will eggshell mattress work), diffusers (i have my records now in front of the monitors by about 12 feet all pulled out at different lengths), Should i throw something on the ceiling and I threw a blanket on the one wall over the window? I dont really have a lot of money at the moment so DIY is gonna have to be the way. The monitoring situation in here sucks balls and it really needs an improvement. The room is about a 12x15 maybe? box. I have a pair of shit samson resolv 65a's. I did notice that a lot of bass freqs are collecting in the right hand corner. Ive been doing some research on www.gearslutz.com but want to see what the strut massive thinks.

Comments

• BamboucheBambouche 1,484 Posts
    Aside from sound absortion, I try to never have the monitors on the meter bridge of the console. I always prefer them to be on speaker stands behind the console; at least 6 feet away. The direct path to your ears and the reflected path to your ears off the console top are almost the same length. Because of this, at different frequencies the waves will match up and reinforce one another, making those frequency bands too loud. And at other frequencies, you'll get cancellation and those bands will be too soft. The net effect is a "comb filter". It's called this because the resulting frequency response plot resembles the teeth of a comb.

GearSlutz is good. Try also ProSoundWeb.