Need help with vinyl to CD conversion

KaushikKaushik 320 Posts
edited January 2007 in Strut Central
I'm undertaking a project this year to convert my dad's vinyl collection to digital audio. He has a huge collection of Indian music on vinyl... from LPs to 45s and even some 78 rpm's from decades ago. This stuff is priceless and I want to preserve it for posterity. Anyone have recommendations on integrated hardware/software for recording vinyl on a PC?Ideally the solution will include:1. Recording, editing and audio restoration software2. An audio interfaceI can put together a home grown solution using Soundforge and an M-Audio interface. What I'm really looking for is something under $200 that's easy to use and has everything you would need, for my dad's sake -- he's a bit of a technophobe. thanks for the ideas!!

Comments

• SupergoodSupergood 1,213 Posts
    I don't have any answers for you on the interface front, but I've found that this easy-to-use audio restoration program offers pretty decent bang for the buck:

Magix Audio Cleaning Lab 11

Only 39.99 USD! Results are pretty good for the price (not WAVES quality, but also not costing a grand or up), and the GUI is straight-forward.

SG

• DrJoelDrJoel 932 Posts
    Hey how easy is it to play with those Declicker, Dehissers, etc to the point where you are taking away from the sound quality?

I have been thinking of getting one and that could be right up my alley. I am only semi-familiar with editing by looking at the soundwaves and don't want to get in over my head (although it doesn't look like this is very complex and as long as there is an Undo button i'm sure i could work it out) so plaese to rate this for a novice.

Thanks for the link, looks like a good program.

• SupergoodSupergood 1,213 Posts
    Hey how easy is it to play with those Declicker, Dehissers, etc to the point where you are taking away from the sound quality?

I have been thinking of getting one and that could be right up my alley. I am only semi-familiar with editing by looking at the soundwaves and don't want to get in over my head (although it doesn't look like this is very complex and as long as there is an Undo button i'm sure i could work it out) so plaese to rate this for a novice.

Thanks for the link, looks like a good program.

The program should be good enough for novices. I was pleasantly surprised with some of the results.

All restoration plug-ins by design affect sound quality in some shape or form though, so I use the lightest settings possible.

If you really wanna get super picky/anal (ayo) with yer sound quality, WAVES Restoration bundle is where it's at. Costs an arm and a leg, though, and is not as user-friendly.

SG

• DrJoelDrJoel 932 Posts
    Cool, thanks for the explanation. I may end up going with this, i am due for new needles as it is, so i may do everything in one shot and be good to go.

• DJCireDJCire 729 Posts
    Co-sign...

I use Easy Audio (Magix) for this and for even making mixes...

Super easy and you can't be it for the price...

• KaushikKaushik 320 Posts
    Thanks for the Magix suggestion, that looks good. I'll just need to pick up an audio interface to go with it. Any more suggestions out there?