Who should get the LEAD ROLE for SR???

IronfeetIronfeet 516 Posts
edited January 2007 in Strut Central
Did sombody say Speed Racer the Movie! About Time 20 years late... Though I would like to see a Ninja Scroll Movie or Naruto Movie...Who can you see playing the lead roll as speed???Or Trixie???Release Date: May 23rd, 2008 (wide)MPAA Rating Notes: (12/15/06) Although the Wachowski Brothers are famous for their R-rated 'Matrix' movies, the tone of this 'Speed Racer' movie will be family friendly, so a rating in the G or PG range is most likely.Distributor: Warner Bros.Production Company: Silver PicturesSpecial Effects Note: (12/15/06) For this movie, the Wachowski Brothers will be reuniting with John Gaeta, the special effects guru responsible for many of the amazing visual tricks achieved in their three 'Matrix' movies.Cast: None announced yet.Cast Notes: (12/15/06) Johnny Depp was attached to star for a long while (several years ago), but is no longer likely to be in the running. The other actor whose name has been attached to this movie (much more recently) is Vince Vaughn, who was reportedly a force in keeping the project alive, and who will appear in a supporting role (possibly as Speed's mysterious older brother, Racer X).Director: Andy Wachowski and Larry Wachowski (the Matrix trilogy)Director Notes: (12/15/06) Among the many directors who have been involved in some way or another with this project over its many years of development (before the Wachowski's coming aboard) were Julien Temple ('Earth Girls Are Easy'), Gus Van Sant ('Good Will Hunting'), Alfonso Cuaron (Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban) and Hype Williams ('Belly').Music: It is extremely likely that the catchy theme song ("Go, Speed Racer, Go, Speed Racer, Goooo!") will be updated by a popular musical group... my guess is a loud techno version.Screenwriter: Andy Wachowski and Larry Wachowski (the Matrix trilogy)Screenwriter Notes: (12/15/06) Among the many screenwriters to have a go at 'Speed Racer' over its years in development were Jeffrey Abrams ('Regarding Henry'), Jennifer Flackett and John Lau (cowriters of 'Madeline'), Patrick Johnson (cowriter of 'Spaced Invaders'), J.F. Lawton ('Pretty Woman'), Mark Levin (cowriter of 'Madeline') Jeff Vintar (cowriter of 'Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within') and the writing team of Christian Gudegast and Paul Scheuring (2003's 'A Man Apart'), the last team being particularly interesting because they were paid over $1 million for the job, which was news-worthy as being unusually high for a screenwriting assignment.Based Upon: The 1960's Japanese animated series, also known as Macha Go Go, which ran for 52 episodes. There was also a short 13-episode revival series in 1993.Premise: Not much is known yet (10/18/01) about the exact details of this film's premise, except that it will follow the racing exploits of Speed Racer, a charming young driver lucky enough to be behind the wheel of the Mach 5, a "super car" that can make amazing jumps, go underwater, and other tricks using amazing gadgets (like razor saws in the front, jet propulsion, bright headlights, a bulletproof windshield, and a robot bird). Aided by pet chimp Chim-Chim (not a "monkey" as reported elsewhere, like Variety), his father, "Pops", little brother Spritle, girlfriend Trixie, and mechanic Sparky (because, you see, he works with spark plugs), Speed (last name "Racer") tears through the racing circuit. But who is the mysterious Racer X he comes across occasionally (and what does he have to do with Speed's long-dead brother, Rex?) (That at least, is generally what the animated series is about).Filming: Production is scheduled to start in June, 2007 in Germany.Genre: Action, Chimp, Eye Candy, Racing, Teen, TV ShowOfficial TV Show Site: SpeedRacer.comMessage Board: Share your thoughts on our "Speed Racer (2008)" Message Board Input about Greg's Previews of upcoming Movies, or any movie covered here, is encouraged. Just e-mail Greg Dean Schmitz using our feedback form. Please note that all release dates are subject to change.

Comments

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Is Speed Racer a Caucasoid seen through the eyes of Japanese cats?
    A Japanese cat w/ Western Features to appeal to both sets?
    A Japanese-American cat?

Kinda like Gatchiman? Even though I viewed them as Caucasoids.

W/ the lack of large Asian Hollywood cats getting alot of screen time, I see them going w/ a regular Hollywood cat that can draw audiences.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    Hell, I want to see who's playing JAMES FUCKING BROWN in the upcoming Spike Lee (cringe?) biopic. I mean, who's fucking with the Funky Quarterback?

• waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts
    Seven or eight years ago, they were bouncing around Johnny Depp as the possible lead. He's probably too old for the role now. I haven't read a trade paper since I left LA five years ago, so I'm really out of touch with who they might cast.

Edit: Oops, I see that they already mentioned Depp in the notes. Gus Van Sant would've been an interesting and odd choice as director.

• waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts
    Hell, I want to see who's playing JAMES FUCKING BROWN in the upcoming Spike Lee (cringe?) biopic. I mean, who's fucking with the Funky Quarterback?

I heard something about who they might cast as JB a week ago or so, and remember thinking it might be a good choice. I can't remember who they said, though...

THREAD HIJACK LIKE A MO FUCKA!!!!!!!!! NO DOUBT.

That's the first thang that came to mind when I read this.

Whomever it is aint gonna do him justice. Shiiiiiiiiiiiit! This shit should be as big if not bigger than his Malcolm X movie.

Snoop as Bootsy.

• empanadamnempanadamn 1,462 Posts
    i think "they" were saying ursher was really showing interest, whatever that means.

• Hell, I want to see who's playing JAMES FUCKING BROWN in the upcoming Spike Lee (cringe?) biopic. I mean, who's fucking with the Funky Quarterback?

Whomever it is aint gonna do him justice. Shiiiiiiiiiiiit! This shit should be as big if not bigger than his Malcolm X movie.

Snoop as Bootsy.

Derek Luke as James
    Anthony Anderson as Maceo
    Larenz Tate as Pee wee Ellis

• luckluck 4,077 Posts

I heard something about who they might cast as JB a week ago or so, and remember thinking it might be a good choice. I can't remember who they said, though...

JOHNNY DEPP ALL THE WAY.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    Director: Andy Wachowski and Larry Wachowski (the Matrix trilogy)
    Screenwriter: Andy Wachowski and Larry Wachowski (the Matrix trilogy)
    Music: ...loud techno version.
    Genre: Chimp, Racing.[/b]

See: Scooby-Doo lunchboxes (>2000) and Dukes of Hazzard trucker hats.

• Hell, I want to see who's playing JAMES FUCKING BROWN in the upcoming Spike Lee (cringe?) biopic. I mean, who's fucking with the Funky Quarterback?

Snoop as Bootsy.

If Jamie Fox get the roll I will be very disapointed might as well give it to Kanye...

Though I wonder if Forest Whitiker could play Maceo or James??? Shoot Who would play James maybe the can use the same guy for Speed Racer the movie???

If all else fail just Hire Samuel L Jackson!

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts

Snoop as Bootsy.

Derek Luke as James
    Anthony Anderson as Maceo
    Larenz Tate as Pee wee Ellis

I totally picked a perfect person to play James, and nobody commented.

http://www.soulstrut.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=777417&an=0&page=5#Post777417

- spidey

I totally picked a perfect person to play James, and nobody commented. - spidey

Very Good Call, but he's not a big draw and I cant think of any movie he's done where he at least an under the radar talent.

Wait didnt he have a tv show?

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts
    The Wachowski brothers are directing this? I'm actually surprised they're still making films. After all that bullshit they went through (lawsuits, sex changes, divorces, etc.) that they would disappear.

I'm pretty 'eh about this film though.

That's very true, but I think he'd definitely be an interesting choice to go with.. look at what Mediocre bland tv show having Jamie Foxx did with Ray.

As far as Speed Racer.

^ He didn't sleep with Lindsey Lohan for nothing.

- spidey

Plus he comes with a built in Racer X.

- spidey