compact digital cameras w/ hotshoe mount/adapters?

edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
edited January 2007 in Strut Central
i don't want to buy a digital slr cause they're too big to have on me all the time.is there such a thing as a compact digital camera that has a hotshoe adapter for an external flash? or some kind of device to buy to make any compact digi work with one? i like to bounce the flash off the ceiling when indoorsi hate the built-in flash on my canon sd600 and almost never use it.any leads are appreciated.

Comments

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    not really, most camera companies have started to phase out their "compact w/ slr like feature" models because the general populus doesn't care about them. The camps are divided, they either want an ultra slim sexy camera to impress friends or a slr w/ lots of control.

The last line to combine the two really effectively was the canon s80, but that has been discontinued.

The canon g series has a hotshoe, but it's not exactly compact.

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
    thanks! i can't find any that aren't discontinued either. i think i might have to buy one of off ebay. i found this one that seems like it has a lot of manual controls in addition to the hot shoe mount. it seems small enough.

they are going for a little less than $200 on ebay though and that worries me a little. why is an 8mp camera so cheap?

• SnagglepusSnagglepus 1,756 Posts
    You could always attach a Canon HF-DC1 to your SD600:

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

• yes, but what if you were to want to attach a lomo colorsplash flash? a hotshoe is needed.

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
    yeah i saw that. i want to use a flash with the swivel so i can bounce it off the ceiling for more even lighting

here's an example i took with my friends slr. this what taken in my room at night, but the lighting looks natural and even compared to the blast of light with a flash pointed directly

I actually have that Vivitar flash for my SLR. Me likey. But the Canon flash is wireless ... so you could aim it anywhere. However, certainly not as convenient as a mounted flash that can swivel (unless you ask a friend to hold the flash for you ).

here's an example i took with my friends slr. this what taken in my room at night, but the lighting looks natural and even compared to the blast of light with a flash pointed directly

nice ... and I'm with you on the whole hatred of direct flash. It absolutely draws the life out of photos. I just suggested the Canon flash as an easy option that doesn't require purchasing a new camera ... and, as it is wireless, with either clever mounting or simply holding it you could aim it anywhere. Though I've never used it so take my suggestions with a grain of salt.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    check out the canon powershot g7. it doesnt do raw but its 10mp and fairly compact

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canong7/

• sony dsc-v3 might be worth a punt but is now discontinued