Benefit for local Soul Singer SUGARPIE DeSANTO !!

peacefulrotationpeacefulrotation 3,481 Posts
edited January 2007 in Announcements
San Francisco R&B queen Sugar Pie DeSanto lost everything when her Oakland apartment burned down October 26th of last year. Her husband died trying to fight the blaze. Help us give back to a lady who's given us so much, truly a Bay Area music legend. She will likely be in attendance that evening. 100% of proceeds will go to the the Sugar Pie Desanto Fund. If would like to simply donate, please contact Wells Fargo to make contributions: (510) 597-4210.from sf gate:"The husband of well-known Oakland singer Sugar Pie DeSanto died Thursday while trying to put out an early morning three-alarm fire in the couple's third-floor apartment, fire officials said.Jesse Davis, 52, died inside the apartment at 3833 Telegraph Ave. in the blaze, which also left a firefighter-paramedic hospitalized in serious condition with second-degree head burns, fire Capt. Melinda Drayton said.Three other firefighters were treated at a nearby hospital for burns and an eye injury before being released. The four injured firefighters were hurt in an explosion apparently caused by superheated gases igniting thick dust in the air.Pop and blues singer DeSanto was in the apartment with her husband when the fire broke out and was able to flee.The fire started in the couple's living room and was believed to be accidental, Drayton said. A smoke alarm in a nearby hallway failed to work because its battery was missing.Drayton identified the firefighter who remained hospitalized as Tim Takis, who was being treated at St. Francis Memorial Hospital in San Francisco."The fire flashed on the third floor, so superheated gases caused basically a fire explosion," Drayton said. "All the ... small materials like dust particles get to a point where they ignite."The building's residents were evacuated, and about two dozen of them, including DeSanto, received emergency housing in nearby hotels from the American Red Cross, spokesman Alan Tobey said."She's in remarkable shape, given the circumstances,'' Tobey said. "She's obviously shocked but otherwise does not appear to be injured.''DeSanto began her recording career in 1955 and recorded her biggest hit, "I Want to Know,'' in 1960. She is known for her wide range of musical styles, including soul, jazz and funk -- along with her energetic delivery and her ability to perform backflips during performances. She has shared stages with James Brown and with Ike and Tina Turner, and received a Bay Area Music Award, or Bammie, for best female blues singer in 1999.The blaze was reported shortly before midnight Wednesday. Five dozen firefighters had the fire under control in about half an hour.The owner of a liquor store across the street said Davis was a regular customer and a "nice, down-to-earth guy.''Davis enjoyed cooking and taking care of the couple's apartment while his wife performed, according to DeSanto. He married her twice, the first marriage ending in divorce before the couple recon- ciled."He's my biggest fan, and he'll try to do things that keep me happy and keep me mellow,'' she said in an interview in the current Living Blues magazine.Hatim Nasher, owner of Choice Liquor, said Davis and his wife would shop in the store once or twice a week, and would often give him audio- and videotapes of DeSanto's performances."I hate to see him go,'' Nasher said. "It's so sad. He was so nice, so polite, such a wonderful man.'' "

Comments

• hello

• BamboucheBambouche 1,484 Posts
    Unfortunately I won't be able to attend, but I called Wells Fargo and spoke to a fellow named Sergio who informed me that anyone not in the Bay Area who is interested in contributing can simply mail a check to:

Wells Fargo
    151 40th Street
    Oakland, CA 94611

and specify that the money is for the Sugar Pie Desanto Fund. Those of you who are local can go in to Wells Fargo and deposit money into the fund.

Thanks to one of my favorite record stores and two of the nicest guys I know (I've never met Vinnie, but it's safe to assume he's aces) for organizing this. I appreciate it.

Best,
    ~B

• B****U****M****P

Hey B thanks for poppin in over here...and as always for your support and sense of community.

btw: I am now the proud owner of the wonderful 45 by Last Of The Blacksmiths (on Vanguard Records dunnz), "And Then Some" b/w "You Think I'm Okay"!

Superb stuff with delightful packaging...although is it me or is the pressing a lil noisy? Damn y'all really captured that bass drum perfectly tho. These folks are seriously good.

• BamboucheBambouche 1,484 Posts
    Insomnia again...

I woke up at 3 from a dream where I was riding up an endless elevator with my best friend who was all bloody, and when we got to the top floor he ran out and dove out a window. I got out of bed and wondered what it would feel like to lose someone you love, as well as everything you own, and watch it all burn.

I feel for Sugar Pie.

[color:pink] is it me or is the pressing a lil noisy? Damn y'all really captured that bass drum perfectly tho. These folks are seriously good.

I think that is specific to your copy. Word on the street is, you lick your records when you get them? (b/w "How Drunk Were U?")
    [/color]

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    Unfortunately I won't be able to attend, but I called Wells Fargo and spoke to a fellow named Sergio who informed me that anyone not in the Bay Area who is interested in contributing can simply mail a check to:

Wells Fargo
    151 40th Street
    Oakland, CA 94611

and specify that the money is for the Sugar Pie Desanto Fund. Those of you who are local can go in to Wells Fargo and deposit money into the fund.

Or hit me up as I also work for WF.

Herm

• (I've never met Vinnie, but it's safe to assume he's aces)

Vinnie is a great dude.

Josh, I'll be gigging that night so I can't make it out to support, but I will be sliding through WF in the next few days to place my drop in the bucket. Props to y'all for doing it.

• Blogged and check mailed. Thanks all who organized this.

• You guys rule.

• BUMP

Looking forward to this tonight.

• jinx74jinx74 2,287 Posts
    good luck with this tonight yall. wish i could make it out but i just got another shot for my back two days ago so ill be laying around til i gotta go back to work on monday.

would love to see photos after the event... please post!

• Props to Jesse for the Auction he held in benifit for Sugar Pie.DRINKS ARE ON ME DUDE!

Chris

• her loss was great. i can only imagine the grief and pain she must be going through right now.

you guys are very thoughtful and consederate to do this. people need to have each others backs in hard times.

peace

• djstefdjstef 534 Posts
    I took a few pics. Didn't get one of Ms. Sugar Pie herself, though. What did she think of the event, guys?

http://www.kodakgallery.com/I.jsp?c=3b3zd2.72dwh0p7&x=0&y=-7tzjdt