starting a new message board - which software?

mordecaimordecai 2,204 Posts
edited January 2007 in Strut Central
i'm thinkin' about starting up a new board (probably underground/indy and/or Virginia hip-hop) and i was wondering what software those who have their own boards would recommend.especially of the FREE variety.thanks

Comments

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    You want people to help you cheat on SoulStrut?

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts
    I hope you're not in any way implying that there's not enough love for underground/indy hiphop on the strut.

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts
    vBulletin is pretty pimping although not free. It's quite an amazing piece of software and probably the most advanced message board system out there. You get what you pay.

• waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts
    i'm thinkin' about starting up a new board (probably underground/indy and/or Virginia hip-hop) and i was wondering what software those who have their own boards would recommend.

especially of the FREE variety.

thanks

Um, that's grounds for BAN.

• yeah vBulletin is the leader, but if you have no money take a look at:

http://invisionfree.com/

board + server for free

• parenparen 537 Posts
    Lussumo Vanilla is hands down the best look, IMO. I use it on multiple client sites, and I know DWG use it.

Vanilla

• mordecaimordecai 2,204 Posts
    Lussumo Vanilla is hands down the best look, IMO. I use it on multiple client sites, and I know DWG use it.

Vanilla
    DWG doesn't have PM's which I find to be a pain.

thanks for the advice so far.

i don't really have $ to be putting into this and I don't really want to seek donations, so free is lookin' like the move.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    You want people to help you cheat on SoulStrut?

Don't worry about the software, just focus on upping your post count over the next month with mostly stuff about how SS has fallen off. Then frame your new ubb around cute things like "soul strut migrant" and such.

• ZEN2ZEN2 1,540 Posts
    i'm thinkin' about starting up a new board (probably underground/indy and/or Virginia hip-hop)

Not enough PBR appreciation posts on Soulstrut?

• parenparen 537 Posts
    DWG doesn't have PM's which I find to be a pain.

Don't sell it short... just because DWG chose not to employ them, Vanilla add-on's allow for a lot of customization. Allow me to direct your attention to the PM add-on.