Crazy 60s Mod Psych Monkees Soul TrainWreck (ytr)

SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
edited December 2006 in Strut Central

I couldn't turn away!

Comments

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Is it me or does Julie look like she's thinking
    "I want to strangle Brian Auger for making me do this"
    the whole time? Weird that they don't show him, but it's
    gotta be him on the organ.

• So what exactly is the problem? Seriously, this sounds fucking great! I don't see no train wreck, this is choice quality stuff.

I believe it is him on the organ. This clip is from a 1969 Monkees TV special (33 1/3 Revolutions Per Monkee) that Brian and Julie guested on - they had more musical numbers than this. Fats Domino, Jerry Lee Lewis, Little Richard, the Clara Ward Singers and the Buddy Miles Express also appeared on this special.

Although I gotta say, even though I'll forever defend the Monkees, Driscoll's "ice queen" routine is amusing (she was a hottie, too). If you notice, she steadfastly refuses to look Micky Dolenz dead in the face...

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    So what exactly is the problem? Seriously, this sounds fucking great! I don't see no train wreck, this is choice quality stuff.

I believe it is him on the organ. This clip is from a 1969 Monkees TV special (33 1/3 Revolutions Per Monkee) that Brian and Julie guested on - they had more musical numbers than this. Fats Domino, Jerry Lee Lewis, Little Richard, the Clara Ward Singers and the Buddy Miles Express also appeared on this special.

Although I gotta say, even though I'll forever defend the Monkees, Driscoll's "ice queen" routine is amusing (she was a hottie, too). If you notice, she steadfastly refuses to look Micky Dolenz dead in the face...

There were some truly embarrassing performances in 33 1/3, and although this isn't really one of them (see the Monkees exacerbating the dated, overplayed "we're just props...NOT! (heh heh...ahem)" routine with literal wind-up cranks in their backs), it's not one of Mickey's finest moments, either. He's not really up on the call-and-response timing.

If you'll check out Driscoll's US Springboard cash-in (below), you'll see that this was just her current look alongside one of her failed shots to make it in the states.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    I wouldn't say I had a "problem" with it -
    I was into it enough to start a thread over it...
    my calling it a trainwreck is with affection -
    I just think it is pretty chaotic, with Mickey
    getting all soulful and trying to press up on
    Julie, and Auger's organ burying Julie's voice
    in the mix, and the crazed camera work...and
    the whole not-looking-Mickey-in-the-face thing
    is partly what I meant about her looking like she
    doesn't want to be there, whether it is her schtick
    or not, it's funny to watch her completely avoid her
    singing partner, instead of the usual singing into
    each other's eyes of Sonny & Cher or Marvin & Tammi, etc...
    she seems to cringe at times when Mickey is all trying to scat

• that ending edit is hilarious! "cut to - HER FACE - the end." hahaha
    Auger rips it up of course. mickey was trying too hard on many levels, and julie looked a bit sleepy/scared to be there, but something tells me the "no look" was planned. mickey is staring at her the whole time, way more than he would if the plan was just "sing and do a duet." i bet there was an attempted high concept like: "ok, you NEVER look at me, and ill ALWAYS look at you. and it will therefore be very meaningful and psychedelic."