The world's flyest bird (beatbox related)

hemolhemol 2,578 Posts
edited December 2006 in Strut Central
You gotta watch until around 2 minutes in for some ridiculous skillz.

Comments

• watch what?

• TabaskoTabasko 1,357 Posts

you forgot the link dude,
    but Im guessing you mean this bird:

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    WHAT THE FUCK

i assumed it was that shitty video floating around of that parakeet or whatever that could impersonate a really really shitty beatbox, but this bird is fucking blowing my mind!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

NO WAY!! That shit CANNOT be real!!

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts

you forgot the link dude,
    but Im guessing you mean this bird:

Right. Good lookin. And further on the WTF animal related tip: Wildin' Weddle Seals.

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    Right. Good lookin. And further on the WTF animal related tip: Wildin' Weddle Seals.

sounds like a fucking synthesizer...weird

• I was sucked in until the bird made the chainsaw noise.

• alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts
    if u look closely, of freeze frame the frame rate to 5 frames per second, u can see the guy from police academy hiding behind one of the bushes. or it may be rahzel, i forget.

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts

NO WAY!! That shit CANNOT be real!!

From Wikapedia:

A lyrebird's call is a rich mixture of its own song and any number of other sounds it has heard. The lyrebird's syrinx is the most complexly-muscled of the Passerines (songbirds), giving the lyrebird extraordinary ability, unmatched in vocal repertoire and mimicry. Lyrebirds render with great fidelity the individual songs of other birds and the chatter of flocks of birds, and also mimic other animals, human noises, machinery of all kinds, explosions and musical instruments. The lyrebird is capable of imitating almost any sound ??? from a mill whistle to a cross-cut saw, and, not uncommonly, sounds as diverse as chainsaws [2], car engines and alarms, rifle-shots, camera shutters, dogs barking and crying babies. Lyrebirds are shy birds and a constant stream of bird calls coming from one place is often the only way of identifying them and their presence. The female lyrebird is also an excellent mimic, but she is not heard as often as the male lyrebird [3] [4] [5]

One researcher, Sydney Curtis, has recorded flute-like lyrebird calls in the vicinity of the New England National Park. Similarly, in 1969, a park ranger, Neville Fenton, recorded a lyrebird song, which resembled flute sounds, in the New England National Park, near Dorrigo in northern coastal New South Wales. After much detective work by Fenton, it was discovered that in the 1930's, a flute player living on a farm adjoining the park used to play tunes near his pet lyrebird. The lyrebird adopted the tunes into his repertoire, and retained them after release into the park. Neville Fenton forwarded a tape of his recording to Norman Robinson. Because a lyrebird is able to carry two tunes at the same time, Robinson filtered out one of the tunes and put it on the phonograph for the purposes of analysis. The song represents a modified version of two popular tunes in the 1930's: "The Keel Row" and "Mosquito's Dance". Musicologist David Rothenberg has endorsed this information. [6] [7] [8]

[edit] An anecdotal example
    A Lyrebird's tale

During the early 1930s, a male lyrebird, called "James", formed a close bond of friendship with a human being, Mrs. Wilkinson, after she had been offering food to him over a period of time. James would perform his courtship dance for her on one of his mounds which he had constructed in her backyard ??? and he would also put on his display for a wider audience, but only when Mrs. Wilkinson was one of those present. On one such occasion, James' performance lasted for forty-three minutes, and included steps to a courtship dance accompanied by his own tune ??? and also included imitating perfectly the calls of a Magpie, and a young magpie being fed by a parent-bird, a Whipbird, a Bellbird, a complete laughing-song of a Kookaburra, two Kookaburras laughing in unison, a Black Cockatoo, a Gang-gang Cockatoo, an Eastern Rosella, a Pied Butcherbird, a Wattle-bird, a Grey Shrike-thrush, a Thornbill, a Scrubwren, a Striated Pardalote, a Starling, a Yellow Robin, a Golden Whistler, a flock of parrots whistling in flight, the Crimson Rosella, several other birds whose notes his audience were not able to identify, and the song of honey-eaters (tiny birds with tiny voices), that gather in numbers and "cheep" and twitter in a multitudinous sweet whispering. In order to mimic the honeyeaters' singing faithfully, James was obliged to subdue his powerful voice to the faintest pianissimo, but he contrived, nevertheless, to make each individual note of the soft chorus audibly distinct. Also included in James' performance was his perfect mimicry of the sounds made by a rock-crusher at work, a hydraulic ram, and the tooting of motor-horns. [9]

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

sometimes I don't mind being

as long as it also involves me being totally

I want one!! I could play it MP3's of Boscoe until it
    learned the album and would play it to pick up women -
    it's so crazy that it will sing to hit on human females,
    and not just birds...

...that's, um, pick up women for itself, like in
    the article, you know, not pick up women for me, huh...

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts

sometimes I don't mind being

as long as it also involves me being totally

I want one!! I could play it MP3's of Boscoe until it
    learned the album and would play it to pick up women -
    it's so crazy that it will sing to hit on human females,
    and not just birds...

...that's, um, pick up women for itself, like in
    the article, you know, not pick up women for me, huh...

Brah, it's David Attenborough Trust that man.