Anyone here own a KIA..or another cheap new car?

SouthCrackalackSouthCrackalack 3,853 Posts
edited December 2006 in Strut Central
I've been thinking about possibly getting a new car..a cheap car..maybe even a KIA!!! For years i've personally talked crazy shit about cars like that..cheap ass little 4 cylinder plastic cars, but as I get older(and I hear about brand new cars for $6,000), they sound more and more appealing. I heard at the right time, you can get a KIA Rio or one of those similar joints for like 5 or 6 G's. Also..like a lot of car manufacturers now and days, they offer a free(i think?) 10 year/100,000 mile "powertrain" warranty..and a free(once again, I think?)5 year "come pick ya ass up whenever/wherever you are" roadside assistance service. Yeah, you might be deader than dead if someone hits you really hard, but fuck it..who cares? Anyone here bought a new car 4 cheap lately? I aint really talking 'bout them 10,000 and over kinda "cheap" cars either..i'm keeping that shit under 10G's if I do it. Oh..and I have bad credit. So I am sure that really fucks me up when it comes to getting the cheapest possible prices and deals on a brand new ride. Oh..another thing..I currently drive a 1997 Lincoln Town car with a fucked up air suspension(needs new back shocks) and as of today WILL NOT FUCKING START. Left worked and hopped in the ride and NOTHING. It ain't the battery, so i'm thinking either starter or ignition. I probably owe something like 3 or 4 G's on that motherfucker(sad I don't even know, right?). Let's just say my first 28 years of existance, I haven't been the most responsible guy on the earth. So..being that I am already fucked up in this deal with a finance company with a car that I am currently paying on,still owe a good bit, and doesnt even fucking run...what the hell do I do? I ain't gonna lie..I don't know what to do. Do I call the finance company and find out what I owe, then go sit down at a dealership and tell them what's going on and see what they say my options are...or should I go about this another way? Either way..I knew someone on The 'Strut would know the right answer. This site is like my fucking Dear Abby/Dr. Phil when it comes to some things. So..what to do?

Comments

• JimBeamJimBeam Seattle. 2,012 Posts
    alright, if you gotta go with one of those jawns, hit up a hyundai. Don't go with a KIA. I've had to fix shit on both types, and the Kia's really are just shit. Hyundai's aren't spectacular, but I've never seen them just completely fuck up like I've seen KIA's do. You are correct, both offer 100,000 or 10 year warranties, but you won't want to keep the car for that long, hopefully. The Elantra or whatever their junky little 4 door is called is decent. I had a roommate that fried the tranny in his out on the freeway pushin that think about 105mph with the whole thing loaded and riding on the bumpstops. Hyundai picked him up on the side of the I-5 in San Diego, gave him a loaner, and took 3 days to put a new transmission in it. I therefore can't knock the service, considering it did not cost him anything to get the warranty, it's just how they sell their cars.

As far as your current non-responsive ride goes, if you are mechanically inclined, and sure that your battery is good, here's an easy test: (HOWEVER, IF YOU ARE NOT MECHANICALLY INCLINED, DON'T DO THIS. YOU WILL EITHER SHOCK THE CRAP OUT OF YOURSELF OR FUCK UP YOUR BATTERY.) use some jumper cables and connect a hot lead to the hot on your starter, and touch another hot to the remote signal input on your starter (ignition switch should be on "run" and car in "park".) If the starter engages, it's good, no need to replace it: There's something wrong w/ ignition or wiring to the starter. If it don't spin, get yo ass to autozone and get a remanufactured starter. It's two bolts and a couple wires, couldn't be simpler.
    Wouldn't wanna fuck with that air suspension on the back of those lincolns though, those things are fuckin awful.

another tip on those cheap rides: pay cash for the whole damn thing. Sell that lincoln, get a certified preowned hyundai from the dealer. No credit check, you still get the warranty, you're set.

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
    If you finance your new car, try to do so with your financial institution first.
    Financing through your dealership should be done
    only when all other options have been exhausted.

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    If you finance your new car, try to do so with your financial institution first.

Car dealerships make much money on the financing. Dealerships make no money selling new cars. All the money is in used cars, parts, service and financing.

• jleejlee 1,539 Posts

Car dealerships make much money on the financing. Dealerships make no money selling new cars. All the money is in used cars, parts, service and financing.

sayin.... that was the most suprising part when GMC sold their GMAC (financing side) part of the company. it was the only portion of the company making a profit.

and southcrack: do NOT[/b] buy a new car. only fools or very wealthy people buy a new car. i'd buy a used bentley before i buy a new car.

most used spots can come with warranties anyway. buy a used honda/toyata (Killa Cam-ary baby!!!!) and call it a night.

hola'

• If you finance your new car, try to do so with your financial institution first.

sayin.... that was the most suprising part when GMC sold their GMAC (financing side) part of the company. it was the only portion of the company making a profit.

and southcrack: do NOT[/b] buy a new car. only fools or very wealthy people buy a new car. i'd buy a used bentley before i buy a new car.

most used spots can come with warranties anyway. buy a used honda/toyata (Killa Cam-ary baby!!!!) and call it a night.

hola'

second that. buy used and BUY JAPANESE!!!!
    i had a mazda 323 that i got for 2gs that ran great for 4 years until i sold it to my boy for a grand. he drove it from philly to LA and still pushin, 4 years later! sure, he has had to get a little work, but the shit is solid and zippy. stick shift is dope too.
    then i got a '91 toyota previa for 5gs and proceeded to put 90k on it while i lived out of it and drove around the country. now im using it to haul building equipment for a house. man japanese cars run shit!!!!

if youre not worried about aesthetics (and if youre about to buy a kia, you must not be) spend 2-3 gs on a good used JAPANESE car. cant go wrong.

good luck with that financing shit.

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts

Get a used Honda, Toyota or a used Volvo. Do not buy a new car unless you have like $30,000+ to spend. Any new car for $6-7000 will be junk and a good used car for the same money will be MUCH better.

• Get a used Honda, Toyota or a used Volvo. Do not buy a new car unless you have like $30,000+ to spend. Any new car for $6-7000 will be junk and a good used car for the same money will be MUCH better.

See, i've always thought the same way,Big Chan...BUT..lately I have been persuaded into rethinking my stance on new cars vs used cars. The only thing I really give a fuck about in this whole thing is THE WARRANTY!. I want that piece of mind..knowing that if I want to take a road trip or a long drive and that shit fucks up on me, Somebody representing their company is gonna come scoop me up and fix my shit for free. That shit doesnt come with used cars..at least not comparible to a 10 year/100,000 mile warranty..does it? Trust me..I don't want to drive a fucking KIA. I like real cars. Chevys,Caddys,Lincolns..you get the idea. But..once again, it's the warranty that has me really considering going in to talk to some jerk off annoying salesman at the local Kia dealership(s).

What to do..what to do?

PS: I don't have $30,000 for a new car..that is for sure. I don't have money for shit to be honest. But having a dependable car is a must for my situation because of where I live. Public transit is a joke here, so you really have to have a car..and one that isnt breaking down every few weeks. I've been there and done that my whole life(from every car my parents had, to ever car that i've ever owned)..and NEVER want to fucking deal with that kinda headache anymore. Ya dig?