Cloned meat makes for good eatin'?

dayday 9,611 Posts
edited December 2006 in Strut Central
FDA: Clones Animals Safe to Eat The government declared today that food from cloned animals is safe to eat. The Food and Drug Administration concluded that cloned livestock is "virtually indistinguishable" from conventional livestock. Officials said they don't think special labels are needed to let consumers know if they are eating cloned meat.[/b]hmmm... P*t***k's tofu taco's aren't looking so bad after all...

Comments

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    While it may be indistinguishable, it's a bad idea to let people know that they're eating clone.

Clone burgers, that's just crazy.

I'm gonna wait it out for vat-meat -- meat grown in a lab, with no "animal" killed in the process.

• slushslush 691 Posts
    PLAY WITH LAVA
    YOULL GET VAPOURED

• slushslush 691 Posts

I'm gonna wait it out for vat-meat -- meat grown in a lab, with no "animal" killed in the process.

I'm gonna wait for a super virus to eat my body

• I'm gonna wait it out for vat-meat -- meat grown in a lab, with no "animal" killed in the process.

• gross. never a better arguement to stop eating meat. is it meat or a reasonable fax-simile of meat?

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    they took this off the front page of CNN with the quickness.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    OK, here's the thing.
    Man has been "genetically engineering" livestock and crops for as long as animals have been domesticated and the dawn of agriculture. Man picked the most docile, dumbest, slowest, plumpest animals to domesticate and kept that thought going continually up until present.
    Cloning, on the other hand, is taking a embryo and inserting the same genetic material from another existing animal into the empty embryo to replicate said existing animal. To put it another way, it is the equivalent of man replicating an animal that has previously lived. That simple. It is unethical because of the uncertainty of the cloned animal (Dolly the sheep died a horrible cripple, and they recently had to kill some type of rare oxen they fucked up in the cloning process because it was also a fat cripple). This is not tomacco or rat gene carrots or golden rice, this is eating clones of animals that have already existed.

• and its real fuckin weird.

i'll abstain thank you.

...while meat eaters unwittingly contribute to the amazon being turned into cow pastures.

I'll give you it's weird. It seems unnecessary, just let animals hump, or let the spunk collectors inseminate animals the old fashioned away and stop taking jobs away from hard workin' Americans!

• ZachDZachD 318 Posts
    While it may be indistinguishable, it's a bad idea to let people know that they're eating clone.

Clone burgers, that's just crazy.

But what if they found the ONE COW that could make the JUICIEST burger in the whole world and cloned it.. you have to admit the results could be pretty delicious.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    This is not tomacco

But wouldn't it be awesome if it were?

Honk if you demand satisfaction!

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Hey,

There could be unforseen dangers in cloning meat. The issue is that during cloning, unforeseen mutations could take place with effects on unknown effects on the health of consumers. This is scary and just the impetus I need to become a vegetarian. What's next, fuckin' Soylent Green?

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
    What's next, fuckin' Soylent Green?
    That was the first thought that crossed my mind when I read this thread.

Hey,

There could be unforseen dangers in cloning meat. The issue is that during cloning, unforeseen mutations could take place with effects on unknown effects on the health of consumers. This is scary and just the impetus I need to become a vegetarian. What's next, fuckin' Soylent Green?

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

The concern in the short term is more animal rights related than mutation related. Since the cloned animal is being cloned from a known pre-existing quantity, and reproduction isn't necessarily part of the discussion, there is no danger of mutation unless this cloned animal breeds with another animal. And then, there is no increased risk of mutation (mutation is just change, it doesn't automatically equal bad) over natural "freak on".
    Peace
    T.N.

• But what if they found the ONE COW that could make the JUICIEST burger in the whole world and cloned it.. you have to admit the results could be pretty delicious.

And we all know how well the "To hell with variety; ONE great thing is great for EVERYBODY" theory works in the music world.

• But what if they found the ONE COW that could make the JUICIEST burger in the whole world and cloned it.. you have to admit the results could be pretty delicious.

And we all know how well the "To hell with variety; ONE great thing is great for EVERYBODY" theory works in the music world.

The average consumer demands uniformity and a few, decent options when it comes to food. Cloning is just another of industrial agriculture trying to cater to the demand we've all created. It's nothing new.

• Officials said they don't think special labels are needed to let consumers know if they are eating cloned meat.[/b]

One of the most depressing things about industrial agriculture and consumers in the US is that we have no clue where our food comes from, how it is grown/processed, or who/what is harmed while producing it.

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    Officials said they don't think special labels are needed to let consumers know if they are eating cloned meat.[/b]

One of the most depressing things about industrial agriculture and consumers in the US is that we have no clue where our food comes from, how it is grown/processed, or who/what is harmed while producing it.

All of this is too crazy. I doubt the public will go for it, but...how will we even know?

We're gonna be seeing "non-cloned" labels like some year 3000 shit. Not feelin it.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    I ate some RAW KITFO tonight. Like a pound of that shit. Wow, it fucked me up, in a good way, I hope that it wasn't cloned. FUCK IT.

Whattup DAYYYY>>>>

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

All of this is too crazy. I doubt the public will go for it, but...how will we even know?

We're gonna be seeing "non-cloned" labels like some year 3000 shit. Not feelin it.

Well, like you say - certain companies will advertise
    all-natural foods that are not cloned, to appeal to the
    vast numbers of people who don't want to eat cloned food.
    Just like it is now with cage-free eggs and non-hormone beef, etc.

• This is scary and just the impetus I need to become a vegetarian.

If cloning is the thing that's going to turn you to a vegetarian, then you probably haven't been playing close attention to our food system.

I think a much more reasonable step would be for people to start shopping at farmer's markets instead of Wal-Mart (the #1 retailer of food in america). At least then you would be well aware of everything that goes into producing your food, assuming you speak with the farmer that sells you your food.

Also, FYI, family farms don't produce the food you probably eat. The US government has been phasing the family farm out over the past several decades.

• I think a much more reasonable step would be for people to start shopping at farmer's markets instead of Wal-Mart (the #1 retailer of food in america). At least then you would be well aware of everything that goes into producing your food, assuming you speak with the farmer that sells you your food.

Here are two sites that will help you farmer's markets and stores selling locally grown or organic food.
    http://www.foodroutes.org/localfood/
    http://www.localharvest.org/

• We're gonna be seeing "non-cloned" labels like some year 3000 shit. Not feelin it.

Vat-grown meat will become the standard, and meat from real live animals will become a delicacy for 5 star restaraunts and the rich.

In the Transmetropolitan books by Warren Ellis, there was this fast food chain called "Long Pig" that sold meat from cloned humans that were grown without brains, or at least the parts that necessary for sentience. Not on some secret soylent green shit, because no brains = no guilt, so why not try a little human flesh? It sounds ludicrous but is it really that far off?

• In the Transmetropolitan books by Warren Ellis, there was this fast food chain called "Long Pig" that sold meat from cloned humans that were grown without brains, or at least the parts that necessary for sentience. Not on some secret soylent green shit, because no brains = no guilt, so why not try a little human flesh? It sounds ludicrous but is it really that far off?[/b]

Yes, it is really far off.

• In the Transmetropolitan books by Warren Ellis, there was this fast food chain called "Long Pig" that sold meat from cloned humans that were grown without brains, or at least the parts that necessary for sentience. Not on some secret soylent green shit, because no brains = no guilt, so why not try a little human flesh? It sounds ludicrous but is it really that far off?[/b]

Yes, it is really far off.

OK yeah I was kind of stoned when I wrote all that.

But I did just read this on wikipedia:

"The cheapest source of material from which food grade L-cysteine may be purified in high yield is human hair. Its use in food products is widespread worldwide."

Anyway as long as cloned cow meat isn't giving me cloned tapeworms or cancer, I could really give a fuck

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts
    I could really give a fuck.

You couldn't[/b] give a fuck. Sorry to be a grammar Nazi, but no one on soulstrut uses this correctly anymore.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,894 Posts
    I would turn veggie rather than eat this excrement. Or just stick to fish. Thing is ... Why bother cloing meat? Surely it's cheaper for a farmer to just stick a load of cows in a field with a bull and let it happen naturally? Leave the clone-mongers to do some useful work, like creating a world of Stepford babes [this is said with complete sarcasm].

• fejmelbafejmelba 1,139 Posts
    I would turn veggie rather than eat this excrement. Or just stick to fish.
    We emptied the seas and grow the fish in farms. Giving them loads of drugs to avoid them gettin sick.

• ScottScott 420 Posts
    I could really give a fuck.

You couldn't[/b] give a fuck. Sorry to be a grammar Nazi, but no one on soulstrut uses this correctly anymore.

Thanks for fucking caring.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    This is scary and just the impetus I need to become a vegetarian.

If cloning is the thing that's going to turn you to a vegetarian, then you probably haven't been playing close attention to our food system.

Sadly this is very true, IMO... and no, I'm not a militant vegetarian. I'm not a vegetarian at all, actually.