Cingular vs. Verizon (or others? Celly Related)

Deejay_OMDeejay_OM 695 Posts
edited December 2006 in Strut Central
okay...so, here's the dealie...my gurl and I are getting new phones. We both like the verizon phones (at least I do haha...nah, they got the chocolates, and the ladies love them but, I was curious how their service was? anyone in the bay...and in the US in general (cuz, I like to travel and have a phone that works! ...what do you think of Cingular vs. Verizon (comments that are helpful are greatly appreciated)...or if you are in the Bay and have another service that is icey hot...please to share...thanks..

Comments

• Verizon is cool service wise, really really strong. However they are a company owned and staffed by evil servants of Satan himself that live only to suck your lifejuice away slowly, causing immense physical pain and spiritual agony.

Cingular on the other hand is awesome, but I seem to recall their service in the Bay being spotty. Although that was years ago, and last time I was out there (with my Cingular phone) I had no problems.

• on the east coast verizon has the best service. i think cingular is probably cheaper though and verizon has stiff penalties if you try to switch carriers.

• I use Verizon and have no problems.

• Verizon is cool service wise, really really strong. However they are a company owned and staffed by evil servants of Satan himself that live only to suck your lifejuice away slowly, causing immense physical pain and spiritual agony.

Cingular on the other hand is awesome, but I seem to recall their service in the Bay being spotty. Although that was years ago, and last time I was out there (with my Cingular phone) I had no problems.

thanks johnny...just curious...what makes them evil? is it the whole switching services, etc...my close homeboy who has cingular and lives in the bay swears by it....but, all this input will definitely help my decision...

curious if the minutes roll over on verizon (arcadian?)...

• thanks johnny...just curious...what makes them evil? is it the whole switching services, etc...my close homeboy who has cingular and lives in the bay swears by it....but, all this input will definitely help my decision...

curious if the minutes roll over on verizon (arcadian?)...

anyone?

• BelsonBelson 880 Posts
    Cingular pretty much blows - fewest dropped calls?

• I live in NC. I've had Cingular for a couple of years and overall it was fine, but service in areas that were off the main roads (like where my old house was located) was spotty-to-nonexistent. Since then, my ex has gotten a Verizon phone and now she can call from her house with no problems, whereas with Cingular we had no service at all. That clinched it for me, so my new Verizon phone should be arriving in a few hours. I'll let you know how it goes.

BTW - pricing between the two companies for a 700 minute family plan w/ text messaging was almost exactly the same.

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    I live in Berkeley and Cingular has served me fine for years. Their reception used to be spotty but now I'm yet to find a spot where I don't get a signal. Between the two, I go with whichever one is cheaper, and get a phone that gets damn good reception. Most crappy signals have to do with crappy phones.

• Though come to think of it, I don't think the Verizon minutes roll over, while the Cingular ones did. I should have considered that before switching, though to be honest we never used all our monthly rollover minutes with Cingular anyway.

• coselmedcoselmed 1,114 Posts
    We've had a shared plan with Cingular for over three years. I've been very pleased with the service (including internationally), and occasionally get service on the subway. Plus, with the rollover, I have like a million minutes!

That said, I only travel to major cities (my hometown excepted), so I don't know what the service is like on the road.

• I got charged out the ass on Verizon for overages. I always went over and of course I should have moved up to the next plan up but Verizon has never really been price-competitive and it was more money than I wanted to pay. The Cingular plan I switched to was cheaper and plus I never have overages; I save $20-50 a month because of that. The contract cancellation was a bitch, but in a year I've made up for the difference in savings... and as I told the asshole on the phone at Verizon, "I would gladly pay $250 to stop dealing with you."

I have had more extensive problems with their business unit and the company itself does not give a shit if you are happy with the situation. I have been told numerous times by assistants up to managers to go pound when I had a problem.

Fuck Verizon (sorry Sween!). If I could find a better option for internet service I would gladly move that business as well.

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts
    Verizon is also usually the last to get the latest technology when it comes to phones. If you're happy with a Chocolate great, but if you want the newest phones when they come out, go with Cingular.

• I switched to Verizon over the summer and bought a 29.00 phone. All I know is that it came with a DOPE GPS system that came on the phone and come on a few of their models. It works great when traveling to new cities and what not. I can type in a few store names/or descriptions of stores and it will sort them out by milage and give perfect directions.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    cingular has been dope with reception and service. i pay my bill like a month late on the regular and all they do is just send me "have you forgotten about us?" letters. i never really had to deal with customer service cos shit has been all good so that's cool. dealing with verizon business at work has been a huge fucking pain in the ass and all my friends who have had verizon wireless have switched as soon as they could.

if you really digging a verizon exclusive phone, you can probably get an unlocked one in china town or something or ebay maybe and then choose whatever provider but that is kind of a pain in the ass.

• reskresk 391 Posts
    verizons plans are expensive, especially compared to others. And if you use a smartphone, the plans with taxes start like at 120 a month.

with that being said, its hard for me to leave them since i have moved so much in the last six years (though my current spot, i bought), that i am shocked my phone has had good service in each of my places. And im talking like 6 homes in 4 years.

they dont have the fanciest phones, but cant front on the service. Only one place where i can think where i had no service, and it was in a basement (at a hospital i was working at, the only basement i know of in miami). A coworker who had nextel surprisingly had reception in the basement.