Feel Good Inc - Gorrilaz / De La Soul

Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts
edited June 2005 in Strut Central
Who feelin' this? I didn't know it made it up to #17 on the pop charts.

Comments

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts
    BTW, some very interesting happenings on these Billboard charts I'm looking at right now... my man Kem debuted at No. 5 last week, Common drops at No. 2 this week, The Gorillaz at No. 6. Young Gunz only come in at No. 15- is Jay gonna have to start rappin' dudes' whole albums for them to make this Def Jam gig a success? Yikes!

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,916 Posts
    Who feelin' this? I didn't know it made it up to #17 on the pop charts.

It charted in the UK on downloads alone. I think that may have been something of a marketing hustle, although there's still a lot of interest from certain quarters over here in what Damon Albarn comes with. Anything that puts De La back on the radar of the broader public is OK with me, though. The album is supposed to have some interesting moments, but I've not heard it yet.

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
    BTW, some very interesting happenings on these Billboard charts I'm looking at right now... my man Kem debuted at No. 5 last week, Common drops at No. 2 this week, The Gorillaz at No. 6. Young Gunz only come in at No. 15- is Jay gonna have to start rappin' dudes' whole albums for them to make this Def Jam gig a success? Yikes!
    Didn't hear it yet. I should pick it up this weekend. It's good to see common do so well on the charts because that record ain't "pop" to me, yet it still does well (I guess that's what happens when you put out good music). Phill, is that Young Gunz any good? Or your standard Roc-A-Fella release sans B.Sigel, Jay and Kanye?

• The Feel good track has been really popular in the UK, it seems that the man Dangermouse can do no wrong! Only had a quick listen to the album, and it seems like that is the stand out track, but overall I though it was pretty good!

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts
    Phill, is that Young Gunz any good? Or your standard Roc-A-Fella release sans B.Sigel, Jay and Kanye?

The only thing I heard was the "Set It Off" track... some Soulstrutters seem to like it, but for me personally it ain't really doin' it. As for the whole album I'm not hearing a lot of good things from people about it. Too bad, 'cuz I kinda liked some of the cuts on their 1st album and always dug those dudes on mixtape freestyles a little bit.

that's right, DangerMouse is doing production on the album. Dude is nastee. Plus De La is on that album..seems like a good bet.

Phill, is that Young Gunz any good? Or your standard Roc-A-Fella release sans B.Sigel, Jay and Kanye?

The only thing I heard was the "Set It Off" track... some Soulstrutters seem to like it, but for me personally it ain't really doin' it. As for the whole album I'm not hearing a lot of good things from people about it. Too bad, 'cuz I kinda liked some of the cuts on their 1st album and always dug those dudes on mixtape freestyles a little bit.
    Yeah, I can rock with Set It Off (esp. instrumental). Personally, I think the producers on their album drag their shit down. What I think they should do is get one or two producers to do their album, not 7 different dudes. This is probably why I'm still diggin' Freeway's debut album, which was mainly produced by Just Blaze.

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    I'm still diggin' Freeway's debut album, which was mainly produced by Just Blaze.

CO-SIGN!!!!!!!!!

• Diamante_DDiamante_D 215 Posts

It charted in the UK on downloads alone. I think that may have been something of a marketing hustle, although there's still a lot of interest from certain quarters over here in what Damon Albarn comes with. Anything that puts De La back on the radar of the broader public is OK with me, though. The album is supposed to have some interesting moments, but I've not heard it yet.

The LP is a really solid pop album, some purists might not feel it too much, but for what it is, it's pretty tight. That Feel Good tune is probably the only track with rapping on that's ever touched the Radio 2 play list. I personally find it pretty racist that they'll play rap-less mixes of popular RnB tracks happily, but anything with vocals that aren't 'traditionally' sung is obviously deemed too aggressive (or too 'black') for their listeners. More power to Gorillaz for not putting a rap-less mix on the single.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    The track "Dirty Harry" is what's really. Holy cow.

• The track "Dirty Harry" is what's really. Holy cow.

Yeah the Dirty Harry remix is what's up.

The lead off single to the album were sounding pretty awful to me. They are purrty cheesball.
    I had a roomate who really LOVED the first Gorillaz record and played it till the wheels fell off... and I ALMOST LOST MY MIND. If I ever hear the phrase "I Got Sunshine In A Bag..." again I will hurt something.

• KARLITOKARLITO 991 Posts
    I like that feel good one. The bpm's are high too so you could play it along side lots of danceable shit. Nice production work on that single.

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    I'm still diggin' Freeway's debut album, which was mainly produced by Just Blaze.

CO-SIGN!!!!!!!!!

freeway is better than that fake cartoon band

• Young_PhonicsYoung_Phonics 8,039 Posts

CO-SIGN!!!!!!!!!

freeway is better than that fake cartoon band

WORD UP SON! YO MAN YOU TELL 'EM YO! FUCK THAT! THEY AINT COMING WITH THAT HEAT, MAYNE! FREEWAY DOING IT REAL BIG YADDAMEAN!

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
    Heard the whole thing and it's not bad. I don't like it as much as the 1st LP. I liked the dubbed out quality of the first one better. This one is more straight forward. Still can't hate on a cartoon band flipping the script!!!!