James Brown RR question

hammertimehammertime 2,389 Posts
edited December 2006 in Strut Central
I've got 2 copies of the It's a Mother LP on King, orange and black labels. Both have the old 2 piece cover and are otherwise identical except one is on very thin flimsy vinyl and the other is much thicker. I assume the thicker one is older? Is there a year they switched to thinner vinyl, or is there any other rhyme or reason to it?

Comments

• The real flimsy one COULD be a bootleg, or an import.

Look for small things that are diffrent on one than the other, lettering,symbols, check the dead area in the center of the wax, look at both sets of numbers, they may give you a clue as to where it was pressed.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    I had assorted lp's like this - where the only difference is the thickness of the vinyl. I'm not completely sold on the earlier vs. later pressing. Perhaps pressed at different factories?

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,085 Posts
    I have Ain't It Funky as a German press on Polydor and the vinyl is more pliable like than the solid domestic King's

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    The real flimsy one COULD be a bootleg, or an import.

I've seen/owned King-label JB LPs that were almost certainly vintage bootlegs...

Records that were popular in their day but not neccessarily on-hand at every single store had knock-offs circulating, purportedly mob-related

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Records that were popular in their day but not neccessarily on-hand at every single store had knock-offs circulating, purportedly mob-related

Yeah, I was shocked to hear stories from old-time
    record dudes about how certain Boston stores were
    just bootlegging popular albums of the time, like
    Dylan records and Eagles and shit...so there's all
    these weird boots from the 70's floating around out
    here of the stuff. I've definitely found some boot/sketchy
    pressing James Brown albums over the years, too.