Fender Rhodes/Wurlitzer VI's? (production related)

TabneticTabnetic 206 Posts
edited December 2006 in Strut Central
What do you use for a Virtual Instrument for Rhodes and Wurlitzer sounds?I have NI's Elektrik piano, but I always have to do so much eq-ing and compression to keep it from sounding thin. I wish I had the space for a real-deal, but that's not an option now, so I'm wondering what producers out there can recommend that comes close.I use Pro Tools, Logic Pro, etc. so it can be VST, RTAS, or whatever. Anyone tried Digidesign's Velvet yet? It seems promising...thx

Comments

• LuminLumin 807 Posts
    im down with that lounge lizard joint
    sounds really good in my opinion. i dont use it as much as i used to since i copped a real rhodes, but the lounge lizard software piano is really versatile
    check it

• velvet's alright.
    check out e-mu's vintage pro or vintage keys.
    im somewhat partial to the motif's rhodes.
    i think there might be some good sound fonts out there.
    i obviously prefer the real thing, though.

• im down with that lounge lizard joint
    sounds really good in my opinion. i dont use it as much as i used to since i copped a real rhodes, but the lounge lizard software piano is really versatile
    check it

word. i'm trying to get something to hold me over until i move into a studio space and can get a real joint. i'll check lounge lizard.

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    most of them sound like doo doo to my ears. The only one I would consider buying is the nord electro, but that certainly ain't cheap. The hammond on it sounds good too.

• this is the gosh darn truth right here. any else is other than the original is not touchin this.

• chasechase 767 Posts
    digidesigns has the velvet which Ive heard good things about..

you can even rent it for like 2 days..

crazy

• this is the gosh darn truth right here. any else is other than the original is not touchin this.

But yeah, for the price of one of these you could get both a suitcase Rhodes and a Wurly 200A.

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    this is the gosh darn truth right here. any else is other than the original is not touchin this.

If you're looking for the natural feel of a piano, or even a quality keyboard, this is not it. The keys are stumpy and feel cheap as hell. The sound, however, is gorgeous. I'd recommend copping the rack mount unit (if available, I can't recall) and running it with something you're more comfortable with.

Amp Fiddler uses it at his live shows, though. So, maybe that's worth something.

• Scarbee Vintage Keyboard Collection

this is the real shit right here, the most accurately sampled rhodes and wurlitzer sounds I've ever heard and I've played quite a few keyboards. Also included are horner clavinet and pianet samples which I;ve yet to play with...The samples sound really good and have lots of velocity layers, the size is about 3gb per keyboard!

other rhodes/wurli samples and emulations don't touch this in my opinion, I think it's because they don;t have enough samples to capture all the nuances...

lounge lizard is garbage

N.I. elektrik keyboards are okay

logic evp73/88 is good for it's size

can't speak for the nord

• dayday 9,611 Posts

lounge lizard is garbage

I beg to differ. The Wurly is decent on there. The Rhodes? Not so much. From what I've used outside of the actual inst. Elektric Piano is decent. It all depends on what you're doing.

btw - the vocals on the Nas joint sounds a likkle off beat, but otherwise you've got some nice stuff up on your page.

• Amp Fiddler uses it at his live shows, though. So, maybe that's worth something.

• LA somewhere? Kind of

I blew out an output channel on my Oberheim running it into my Rhodes amp...

• lounge lizard is garbage

I beg to differ. The Wurly is decent on there. The Rhodes? Not so much. From what I've used outside of the actual inst. Elektric Piano is decent. It all depends on what you're doing.

btw - the vocals on the Nas joint sounds a likkle off beat, but otherwise you've got some nice stuff up on your page.

I used an earlier version of lounge lizard but remembered I didn't like it at all...but maybe they improved it...

Also yeah I know the nas vocals don't really match up in a couple places on that track, I'm not that happy with it. I do think the track would work well as an instrumental though if I hooked up with a good mc.

soup

• LuminLumin 807 Posts
    im not tryin to sell lounge lizard or anythin
    but the reason why this program differs and why i prefer it over the others is that it is not using samples of rhodes or wurlis or whatever else, the program is based on physical modeling. so you can get different sounds depending on the velocity you are using. i know computers are gettin a lil more advanced so maybe the sampled rhodes programs are offering more variations with each key press. i havent tried the newest lounge lizard but im sure they got some demos on their website. peep it and let us know if thats what you are lookin for

• yeah i'll DL a trial of that and of scarabee. i might go the velvet route though. its just $295 which is not what i'm trying to pay for something to tide me over till i get a real one, but i need a good sound.

will report back after the holiday.

• The right eq and amp sim can really help the vst's. I use a freebie vst called Mr. Ray and it can sound quite nice, especially through an amp sim called Mr. Donald. Obviously it's not as good as the real thing, but within a mix it'll pass.
    Why don't they just make more Rhodes? Hell, they were built out of aeroplane scrap, they should be too hard to keep making!

For what its worth, this place (www.fenderrhodes.com) says nothing but good things about Scarbee.