The True Price Of Raerness?

JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,899 Posts
edited December 2006 in Strut Central

Comments

• oripsorips 238 Posts
    Lately, I have seen some vinyl stores go out of business in my area. It's too bad people don't recognize the value of music on vinyl. Give me a sealed raer 1970 latin funk workout over an iTunes download of same album any day of the week.

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    "One dealer told me, 'You've just devalued my entire stock,'" he says. "I said, 'No I haven't, I've just devalued my stock. If you think it's worth more, you can buy it from me and sell it in your shop.'

For the record Beanos refused to sell online - personally I think David might still be in business if he'd embraced the opportunity a little earlier. Or at all. Great store though with nce people so I'm sad to see it go.

• subsub 311 Posts
    some vikingbreaks question :
    i'll visit london for a couple of days from the 28th of december on. are there still some nice records left that make it worth going there? any other good, cheap (in terms of london) second hand stores you can recommend? or any good flea market? thanks for the info.

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    Hello mate. I can certainly give you a few pointers for north London.

These shops are all in Islington (Angel tube). For new stuff, re-edits and reissues try Disque on Chapel Market - great selection and do ask the guys in there for help and recommendations as they are genuinely happy to help and clued up. Good pool bar opposite called the Elbow Room.

For used stuff five minutes walk away on Essex Road you have Flashback -friendly, good prices and good stock although not a huge amount of it. Two minutes walk further on is the legendary Haggle Records - a gargantuan amount of stock piled everywhere and an owner whose rudeness knows no bounds, but don't let that put you off since there's gold in them thar hills. Somewhere. And don't be fooled by the name - Lynn is not gifted when it comes to haggling and is more than likely to lose it fairly early on in the 'negotiations' although he will knock a couple of quid off here and there.

Ten minutes further north in Finchley is Alan's Records - lovely shop, very knowledgable and helpful owner and a favourite with the dealers. Really interesting stock and very fair prices. There's nothing else of interest up there so it's worth a trip but only if you have the time.

For street numbers and phone details just Google them. Portobello market in west London will have a few stalls under the Westway (Friday and Saturday) and there are also record shops like Honest Jons and other London institutions. None of them that cheap but they will have stuff you won't easily find again.

Camden has a couple of record shops on Camden High Street and Inverness Street near the tube and there are also one or two stalls in the Lock market and the Stables market.

Have a good trip.

• subsub 311 Posts
    thanks a lot for the infos. i'll check them out......