Remember Me?

ArchaicArchaic 633 Posts
edited June 2005 in Strut Central
The one you got your idea from?I swear, from now on I want some kick-back from all you lil dudes who can't stop having pretend conversations with me in your blogs.Latest instance:"Where some people will take a needessly provincial attitude towards their local scenes on some cornball "I discovered this first, you're not entitled to enjoy this, blah blah" sense of pseudo-ownership..." Nick, all that says to me is that you STILL DON'T GET IT. Yeah, I did say that media outlets such as MTV, The Source, and even Fader should be looking to hire insiders to cover these local scenes rather than just having the same everything-must-first-be-filtered-through-the-NYC-perspective rehashed over and over again. That's far from "pseudo-ownership". It's just common sense. Also, that who "discovered this first" b.s. that you mention is YOUR GAME, not mine. Again if anything, it's instead a contrast between someone activiely involved and invested within said sub-culture versus lame-dick imperialism. That being said, I'm definitely glad that the likes Devin and Rapid Ric are FINALLY getting jobs in New York. I'm even glad that you trendy fucks are getting the chance to check them out. Y'all want to make me the villain of rap blogdom just because I remind you that you spent 10 years sleeping before finally waking up out of an oh-shit-I-HAVE-been-jocking-the-wrong-stuff coma, then go right ahead. Just let me email you my PayPal ID so that you can start crediting your source.

Comments

• asprinasprin 1,765 Posts
    the villain of rap blogdom

Now there's a title worthy of some recognition

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    on blast

• hogginthefogghogginthefogg 6,098 Posts
    on his own planet

• dayday 9,612 Posts
    claygee

Out of curiosity, did he address you by name or do you "just know" he's talking about you?

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    villain of rap blogdom

that has a nice ring to it.

• ArchaicArchaic 633 Posts
    The tart has popped.

• soulrezsoulrez 565 Posts

Just let me email you my PayPal ID so that you can start crediting your source.

:raw:

• jdeezjdeez 638 Posts

• I'm oofing out before I'm again aloof.

• J*sh,

*awaits backlash*

• lucerolucero 425 Posts
    and I thought this was going to be a thread about the trinika's ...

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    and I thought this was going to be a thread about the trinika's ...

I thought it was gonna be an RBX Appreciation Thread!

Everynight they shoot, it's like Bei-rut
    Maybe you should get a teflon vest for your chest
    anytime steppin through my hood
    But that'll do you no good
    One slug to your face, no haste
    you're gettin smoked like wood
    Nasty nigga bloody pumps face flat
    on the concrete, here comes the white sheet
    Mr. Coroner, cocked with some yellow tape
    but, the murderers escape
    Audi like 5 G's
    Lyrical gangbang but it's just a G thang

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    SHOTS FIRED!!!!!

Damn, archaic's gone crazy. He's takin shots at everybody. Yall need to hold a press conference or something. make a charity donation.

catchdubs with the subliminals! this should be the illest blog battle ever!!

• catchdubscatchdubs 492 Posts
    dude:

i have NO PROBLEM WITH YOU WHATSOEVER. i have never met you. we have had fairly cordial email conversations. you have tried to put me on blast on this message board a few times, but i couldn't care less about those kind of things - in the "arguments" in question, i'd have to say we just agree to disagree. i'm fine with that. again, let me reiterate: DESPITE OUR DIVERGENT OPINIONS I HAVE NO BEEF WITH YOU AND FEEL ZERO NEED TO TAKE POTSHOTS AT YOU, next time i'm in austin, lets go get a shiner bock or something.

now, for the blog post in question:

"This sort of goes without saying, but I will say the shit out of it anyway: props to Matt Sonzala for working to make this TX/NYC exchange program happen. Where some people will take a needessly provincial attitude towards their local scenes on some cornball "I discovered this first, you're not entitled to enjoy this, blah blah" sense of pseudo-ownership, my man Soneezy actually appreciates that other people are into the same stuff he's into, and is down to collaborate with folks like Roxy and put in work so that creative and lucrative shit can pop off for all involved."[/b]

i was not trying to target "subliminals" at you or anyone else. if i wanted to call someone out, i have ZERO problem doing so by name. the statement was merely pointing out that said "needlessly provincial attitude" EXISTS - among a lot of people, there's no denying that - and it's a fucked up stance to take.

if people really care about their scene, why not be supportive when people outside that locale want to big it up? it's self-defeating and fucked up, and the shit that matt is doing is an infinitely better, proactive attitude to take.

that said:

if the shoe fits...

Dude, if you were really down, you'd know that Shiner hasn't been any good for like 14 years, ever since some raiding imperialists bought them out.

Seriously though, I've got no real problem with you either. I just like to play games on my computer.

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    Shit, these blogsters got me now:

Jay Z & Aztec
    Herm posted this joint up on soulstrut and apparently the roc is getting down with some mexican power. Aztec is some rapper out of houston, he says 3rd ward but I've never heard of this dude and can't seem too find any info on him so if anyone knows what's up drop some info. Jay-z uses up a majority of the song with Aztec only getting in two very short verses. His verses aren't mindblowing or anything but since David wants to post some Lil Rob I figure we kept up with the browntown looting. Word on the internets is that Aztec is some new Roc "la familia" artist and that kay slay says "spic can spit." Which bothers me because kay slay should not be assuming we are down with using spic like blacks use nigga. You want to call us ese's fine, but spic ain't fucking cool because kay slay thinks it is. Blacks took it upon themselves to flip a derogatory term, don't assume that you can do the same for spic when you're not even one of us. Whatever though this shit just annoys me but whatever here's the goddamn mp3.

I got the internet going loco in the cabeza, hoLmes.

Herm

P.S. Serg, these Supermarket dubs are collecting dust on my dresser. I'ma get off my lazy ass I swear!!

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts

if people really care about their scene, why not be supportive when people outside that locale want to big it up? it's self-defeating and fucked up, and the shit that matt is doing is an infinitely better, proactive attitude to take.

CO
    SIGN
    OF
    THE
    CENTURY

• Out of curiosity, did he address you by name or do you "just know" he's talking about you?

lol. C'mon, Robert, you gotta admit that's a little bit funny.

• ayresayres 1,452 Posts

That being said, I'm definitely glad that the likes Devin and Rapid Ric are FINALLY getting jobs in New York. I'm even glad that you trendy fucks are getting the chance to check them out.

Y'all want to make me the villain of rap blogdom just because I remind you that you spent 10 years sleeping before finally waking up out of an oh-shit-I-HAVE-been-jocking-the-wrong-stuff coma, then go right ahead.

Totally. It's ridiculous that Nick wasn't flying down to Texas to write about Odd Squad shows for The Fader ten years ago, when he was a freshman in High School.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts

Word on the internets is that Aztec is some new Roc "la familia" artist and that kay slay says "spic can spit." Which bothers me because kay slay should not be assuming we are down with using spic like blacks use nigga. You want to call us ese's fine, but spic ain't fucking cool because kay slay thinks it is. Blacks took it upon themselves to flip a derogatory term, don't assume that you can do the same for spic when you're not even one of us. Whatever though this shit just annoys me but whatever here's the goddamn mp3.

Who wrote this?

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    Totally. It's ridiculous that Nick wasn't flying down to Texas to write about Odd Squad shows for The Fader ten years ago, when he was a freshman in High School.

(see also: that carpetbagging cocaineblunts.com guy)

end debate.

Out of curiosity, did he address you by name or do you "just know" he's talking about you?

lol. C'mon, Robert, you gotta admit that's a little bit funny.

This post was meant to be all sorts of funny.

Some folks need to learn to not take me so seriously/literally all of the time.

Something I can say now to follow-up is in regards to Fader specifically...in that unlike the various audio blogs Fader is very much selling lifestyle rather than just music. The magazine is very photo-centric. Yet how much of a localized scene can a roaming reporter accurately portray with say a week's worth of photos in the barrio/JA/hood/etc. Yeah, it makes for interesting graphics to show a young vato getting beat down or some yardies wearing fresh threads...but the question for me becomes how much are externally-derived stereotypes being perpetuated in favor of actually capturing the natural vibe/intent of a place?

A long time ago on here I brought up "They All Asked for You" by the Meters as an example of a classic/vital/utilitarian song within a localized scene that is thoroughly neglected by the external fans of 70's NOLA funk. The transformation from what is culturally real to what is imperialistically contrived in defining these loaclized scenes is something that should be curbed by those who know better.

Haven't really noticed too many outrageous instances of tweaking when it comes to the growing national coverage of Texas rap but from teh jump I have sensed a certain amount of treating the whole thing like a novelty (hello there, Sway)...which has been my reason for stressing Cham/Big Moe/Z-Ro over Slim Thug/Paul Wall/Chingo Bling.

Anyway...

• emyndemynd 830 Posts
    The transformation from what is culturally real to what is imperialistically contrived in defining these loaclized scenes is something that should be curbed by those who know better.

It's a reality that--for better or worse--the distinction between the "culturally real" and the "imperialisitcally contrived" has been made obselete by Late Capitalism and the culture industry. The re-occuring reason that so many of us disagree with so much of what you have to say is because you operate on a fundamentally different set of assumptions than most of us: you assume that there is some sort of space of "cultural authenticity" to be found and cherished, while most of us accept the fact that that space simple doesn't exist anymore (if it ever did).

Read "Can't Stop, Won't Stop."

The very moment "hip-hop music" was committed to record (and, honestly, probably even before that), it made the move from "culturally real" to "imperialistically contrived." It's been "inauthentic" from the beginning.

Again, for better or worse, in our postmodern world, preserving "authenticity" is a zero-sum game that is absolutely, necessarily, and inexorably doomed to failure.

In other news, the Devin the Dude show was fucking phenomenal.

-e

The transformation from what is culturally real to what is imperialistically contrived in defining these loaclized scenes is something that should be curbed by those who know better.

It's a reality that--for better or worse--the distinction between the "culturally real" and the "imperialisitcally contrived" has been made obselete by Late Capitalism and the culture industry. The re-occuring reason that so many of us disagree with so much of what you have to say is because you operate on a fundamentally different set of assumptions than most of us: you assume that there is some sort of space of "cultural authenticity" to be found and cherished, while most of us accept the fact that that space simple doesn't exist anymore (if it ever did).

The very moment "hip-hop music" was committed to record (and, honestly, probably even before that), it made the move from "culturally real" to "imperialistically contrived." It's been "inauthentic" from the beginning.

Again, for better or worse, in our postmodern world, preserving "authenticity" is a zero-sum game that is absolutely, necessarily, and inexorably doomed to failure.

In other news, the Devin the Dude show was fucking phenomenal.

-e

So it's pointless to inform newbie Meters fans that to folks in NOLA that "They All Asked for You" was their most beloved song of the 70s era?

Or that in Texas Z-Ro is much more popular/important than Paul Wall?

I should instead just sit back and watch outsiders get these stories wrong, because unlike me they have already fallen headfirst down a slippery slope of "there's no such thing as authenticity"?

Sorry, but I couldn't disagree with such a take/suggestion more.

• coselmedcoselmed 1,114 Posts

I thought you wrote a nice review of this, Archaic.

• jdeezjdeez 638 Posts

In other news, the Devin the Dude show was fucking phenomenal

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    So it's pointless to inform ... that in Texas Z-Ro is much more popular/important than Paul Wall?

Ummm yeah. It's pointless because it's not true. Paul Wall is both more popular here (Houston/Texas in general) and more important.

You might be able to fool non-texans with that though. Nice try.

• 33thirdcom33thirdcom 2,049 Posts
    actually i agree with Archaic. I get more requests from texas heads for us to carry Z-Ro and Cham product than Paul Wall. Most of the swishahouse stuff we have ran through has been sent to areas outside of Texas. But that's just my own experience. I am not in Texas so can't speak on what is or isn't hot down there I just know what people are coming at me with.

I jsut wish I could get ahold of Z-Ro product because its impossible to get through distributors.

• jdeezjdeez 638 Posts