shipping 25 records from UK to US, best method?

knewjakknewjak 1,231 Posts
edited December 2006 in Strut Central
Anyone know the best way to ship 25 12" records from the UK to the US (without going surface)?I ask because I think the $150 (78gbp), that I am being quoted for regular Airmail is a bit high. This summer I shipped the same amount of records from the US to Austrailia and it was only $50 (Global Parcel).Did the postal rates rise? Any suggestions? Does FedEx or UPS deliver to the US from abroad? thanks dudes

Comments

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    US to UK for that weight/amount is like $85 for Air Mail.

• knewjakknewjak 1,231 Posts
    US to UK for that weight/amount is like $85 for Air Mail.

yeah, but does it make sense that UK to US is twice the amount??

• shipping from the US to the UK will be in a dollar amount equivalent to the pound amount you will be charged for shipping in the other direction. Unfortunately, the pound is about double the dollar right now.

I don't think, that being considered, the quote is high.

But it does make a strong argument against buying records from the UK right now.

shipping from the US to the UK will be in a dollar amount equivalent to the pound amount you will be charged for shipping in the other direction. Unfortunately, the pound is about double the dollar right now.

But it does make a strong argument against buying records from the UK right now.

I dont see how the exchange rate comes into play (that much at least). For example, it costs roughly $10 USD to ship a 12" to the UK. And it costs about 6gbp to ship the same thing back to the US. Which means shipping 25 from the UK to US (or vise versa) should be about the same when coverting the money. Like Reynaldo said, it would take about $85 to ship to the UK. Then it should take about 42gbp to send the same abount back to the US, no?
    ehhh, Im ready to have these shipped surface at this point.

• That is a high quote...

as Johnny said, the prices are equivalent...i.e. I got a 45 from the UK recently and the postage stated 2.15(pounds sterling) $4.30 USD...which is what it costs to send a 45 to the UK...

dude is trying to make a few bucks on the postage...I am guessing it would be in the 40 to 50 pound range (80 - 100 bucks)

• shipping from the US to the UK will be in a dollar amount equivalent to the pound amount you will be charged for shipping in the other direction. Unfortunately, the pound is about double the dollar right now.

I dont see how the exchange rate comes into play (that much at least). For example, it costs roughly $10 USD to ship a 12" to the UK. And it costs about 6gbp to ship the same thing back to the US. Which means shipping 25 from the UK to US (or vise versa) should be about the same when coverting the money. Like Reynaldo said, it would take about $85 to ship to the UK. Then it should take about 42gbp to send the same abount back to the US, no?

Admittedly I send a lot of records to but do not get a lot of records from the UK.

That said, most other things cost roughly double what they would cost here - for instance, a sandwich would be 6 gbp which is a bit pricey in dollars. A $20 record is 20 pounds... and so on.

I don't know the UK postal rates but I wouldn't assume that they're high merely because our currency is worth half.

dude is trying to make a few bucks on the postage...

I think you are right on this. But, he supposedly had them weighed at a post office and was quoting them directly. We'll see when the package arrives what the sticker says.

Anyway, thanks for your input guys.

• a 12" with jacket weighs about 8 oz.

a box/tape for 25 records, being liberal weighs a pound.

so you are looking at about 13 pounds, or 6 kilos...

according to www.royalmail.com

small packets at 2kg is 19.59 UK pounds, so x3...59 UK pounds roughly, or $120

• That said, most other things cost roughly double what they would cost here - for instance, a sandwich would be 6 gbp which is a bit pricey in dollars. A $20 record is 20 pounds... and so on.

???
    If you're paying ??6 for a sandwich then they saw you coming when you were last in the UK...

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts

That said, most other things cost roughly double what they would cost here - for instance, a sandwich would be 6 gbp which is a bit pricey in dollars. A $20 record is 20 pounds... and so on.

???
    If you're paying ??6 for a sandwich then they saw you coming when you were last in the UK...

or they're buying their sandwhiches in an upscale sit down caf, which is totally possible...

Royal Mail has a website with a shipping calculater, same as USPS does...

off the top of my head, i'd say that quote is a little high...

• small packets at 2kg is 19.59 UK pounds, so x3...59 UK pounds roughly, or $120

This is the key. You need to break it down into several parcels, each weighing less than 2kg (i.e. about 8 or 9 records each), otherwise they'll charge a much higher rate.

• ...the service you need (parcels below 2kg) is called Small Packet rate.

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    shipping from the US to the UK will be in a dollar amount equivalent to the pound amount you will be charged for shipping in the other direction. Unfortunately, the pound is about double the dollar right now.

Admittedly I send a lot of records to but do not get a lot of records from the UK.

I don't know the UK postal rates but I wouldn't assume that they're high merely because our currency is worth half.

I finally found a cheap ($1) hookup for King Size Smokings in the US. I try to buy in bulk but that store ain't going to be around for much longer. Bedford & Grand in Wburg. Plaese to support!!