Today's NYTimes XWord is fire! (headzreadyrelated)

kitchenknightkitchenknight 4,922 Posts
edited December 2006 in Strut Central
Anyone here fuckin' with today's Times crossword? Man, it is that :fuego:So, who wants to put some real headz together on this? I won't give away the theme, but even figuring that out, this one is still . I've erased the upper left about four times, and the middle is the fuggin' dustbowl for this dude.Holla at a crossword doer, dogs.

Comments

• Allllllright...so, the strut massive- not so into the xwords.

anyway, here is the theme, because it is cool, and some of you into puzzles might dig it:

it is called, "Lay of the Land," and within it, it uses state abbreviations in place of letters.

So, "ALANLADD," is actually a seven letter clue, spelled, "Al LANLADD," with the AL being for Alabama. There is also MoMENTUM, LETMeTRY, etc.

But, with so many possibilities, it is fucking haarrd. There is one with a four letter answer for "INDIA," but you then have to figure out the downs to know whether to use IN, ND, or IA. I really admire anyone who can write these...

Ok. Enough geekdom. Next time, I'll go to weirdrecordsthatsuck.com for my puzzle nerdery.

• Thanks for the tip. I was thinking to myself when I first glanced at it, "I know that dude's name is Gary Snyder. What the fuck's the twist." Good puzzle work.

• sorry dude. i can usually sympathize, but friday was my last day in school, so no more free NYT's for a month! i'm going to figure out what to do with the extra hours in my day. anyhow, INDIA [four-letters] would have to be iowa unless i misunderstood and am oversimplifying.

• Thanks for the tip. I was thinking to myself when I first glanced at it, "I know that dude's name is Gary Snyder. What the fuck's the twist." Good puzzle work.

Thanks, man; Gary Snyder was one of the keys for me.

Even then, the number of combinations is what's making it so hard. I then figured out that AlANLADD was actually ALaNLADD, to cross with DILaTORS for 'Eye Openers'.

This is the toughest puzzle I've seen in a while, and I'm not gonna be close to finishing it, but it is fun in the best way.