Sample tutorial (Informing the Uninformed R)

hemolhemol 2,578 Posts
edited December 2006 in Strut Central
Not sure if anyone remembers but I had asked for some help over the summer in regards to the oldest instance of sampling that anyone could think of; it was for a paper on sampling. The paper has grown, and I have to present it, and I'm going to need to give a really clear idea of how sampling works in a hip-hop context. Keep in mind that this is for an academic audience, most of whom have never touched a sampler, let alone done any digging. So my question is, "What original-track and track-that-sampled-it combo would you choose?" The bonus layer of this question is coming up with something subversive that will go over the heads, but will hopefully be a good laugh for any 'fools that stay knowin'. Keep in mind that I am basically limited to itunes, and the library at my school (their stacks are kind of deep) for source material.

Comments

• KidKKidK 119 Posts

I mean...

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Hey,

Here are some right off the dome:

-"Together"-Cannonball Adderley Quintet ("Rock On-Remix"-Funkdoobiest).
    -"Impressions"-McCoy Tyner ("The Choice is Yours"-Black Sheep).
    -"California Dreamin"-George Benson ("Jeep Ass Niguh"-Masta Ace, Inc.).
    -"Nautilus"-Bob James ("Sun Won't Come Out"-Pete Rock & C.L. Smooth).
    -"More Peas"-The JBs ("Phuncky Feel One"-Cypress Hill).
    -"That's Alright with Me"-Esther Phillips ("Pink Cookies-Remix"-L.L. Cool J and "Give Up the Goods"-Mobb Deep).

I especially like the last first and last ones because they both take some chopping to sequence 'em properly given their 3/4 time signatures.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• "What original-track and track-that-sampled-it combo would you choose?"

my personal fave is Warren G Regulate[/b] utilizing the sweet honkie soul of Michael McDonald I Keep Forgettin[/b]

• pjl2000xlpjl2000xl 1,795 Posts
    im a big fan of steely dans black cow that was used on lord tariq and peter gunz uptown baby, and also mf doom used a different chunk of it. I also like hall and oates i cant go for that, which de la used. Hmm... there is a lot more. i played a bunch of shit that was sampled at my gig tonight, but my brain is fried right now. oh and i love redmans smoke budda that sampled rick james mary jane. Nothing complex - just straight loops, but their versions make me enjoy the original that much more. oh and another is that jam Windy city by 100% pure poison maybe? That i think pete rock, and jay dilla used.

• KidKKidK 119 Posts
    It may be wise to keep the records (both the sampled and the sampling) to material that's familiar to most of your audience. As cool as it would be to break down the background of a lord tariq record, you may lose them in your own self-indulgance.

On the other hand, sometimes you just gotta show 'em that

Choose wiseley!

It may be wise to keep the records (both the sampled and the sampling) to material that's familiar to most of your audience. As cool as it would be to break down the background of a lord tariq record, you may lose them in your own self-indulgance.

Choose wiseley!
    thats true but dude is staying out in Manhattan. That song was blown up out there back when it dropped so a lot of people do recognize it. I live out in PA, and even out here when i drop that shit its like a bomb going off with everyone chanting the lryics.

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts

Choose wiseley!
    thats true but dude is staying out in Manhattan. That song was blown up out there back when it dropped so a lot of people do recognize it. I live out in PA, and even out here when i drop that shit its like a bomb going off with everyone chanting the lryics.

I think the geographic significance is a fun card to play--it's subversive but not offensive.

Thnaks for all of the recommendations. I'll be sure to cite some heads when I present the paper.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Not sure if anyone remembers but I had asked for some help over the summer in regards to the oldest instance of sampling that anyone could think of; it was for a paper on sampling. The paper has grown, and I have to present it, and I'm going to need to give a really clear idea of how sampling works in a hip-hop context.

Keep in mind that this is for an academic audience, most of whom have never touched a sampler, let alone done any digging. So my question is, "What original-track and track-that-sampled-it combo would you choose?"

The bonus layer of this question is coming up with something subversive that will go over the heads, but will hopefully be a good laugh for any 'fools that stay knowin'. Keep in mind that I am basically limited to itunes, and the library at my school (their stacks are kind of deep) for source material.

You might also consider Hall and Oates' "I Can't Go For That" ---> De La Soul's "Say No Go."

Or if you want to stay on the Steely Dan tip, "Peg" ---> De La's "Eye Know."

Or shit, Billy Joel's "Stiletto" --> Kool G Rap and Polo's "Road to Riches."

im a big fan of steely dans black cow that was used on lord tariq and peter gunz uptown baby, and also mf doom used a different chunk of it. I also like hall and oates i cant go for that, which de la used.[/b] Hmm... there is a lot more. i played a bunch of shit that was sampled at my gig tonight, but my brain is fried right now. oh and i love redmans smoke budda that sampled rick james mary jane. Nothing complex - just straight loops, but their versions make me enjoy the original that much more. oh and another is that jam Windy city by 100% pure poison maybe? That i think pete rock, and jay dilla used.