edit:Jayz buy his own albums?

pjl2000xlpjl2000xl 1,795 Posts
edited December 2006 in Strut Central
edit:fuck what i og postedDecember 8. In its first week on the market, Jay Z latest album Kingdom Come sold an impressive 680,000 copies. But the numbers may not be what they seem. MediaTakeOut.com received an anonymous email from a person claiming that in an effort to inflate sales figures, Jay Z may have purchased his own albums.The full text of the email is printed below:Just wanted to let you know that the "numbers" that Jay put up are probably fake. I work at Def Jam and everyone here knows that [Jay Z] bought more than 200,000 copies of the album himself. Ain't that some [EXPLETIVE]. I guess money really ain't a thing for [Jay Z].He was all up on the BET Awards saying "Numbers don't lie." Fake [EXPLETIVE] [EXPLETIVE].And there seems to be evidence to support the tipster's claim. MediaTakeOut.com has learned that in its second week on the market, sales of Kingdom Come declined by 81% - a drop off that's almost unheard of in the record business.Developing...

Comments

• edit:fuck what i og posted
    December 8. In its first week on the market, Jay Z latest album Kingdom Come sold an impressive 680,000 copies. But the numbers may not be what they seem. MediaTakeOut.com received an anonymous email from a person claiming that in an effort to inflate sales figures, Jay Z may have purchased his own albums.

The full text of the email is printed below:

Just wanted to let you know that the "numbers" that Jay put up are probably fake. I work at Def Jam and everyone here knows that [Jay Z] bought more than 200,000 copies of the album himself. Ain't that some [EXPLETIVE]. I guess money really ain't a thing for [Jay Z].

He was all up on the BET Awards saying "Numbers don't lie." Fake [EXPLETIVE] [EXPLETIVE].

And there seems to be evidence to support the tipster's claim. MediaTakeOut.com has learned that in its second week on the market, sales of Kingdom Come declined by 81% - a drop off that's almost unheard of in the record business.

Developing...

Have you ever looked at the site you are citing as a credible source? The whole M.O. over there is to come up with salacious, completely false items to draw in traffic.

• pjl2000xlpjl2000xl 1,795 Posts
    sorry man. it was forwarded to my email. i just reposted what i was sent.

but i could see it happening, with the mentality that if people see it at #1, and see a big amount of purchases in the first week that this would generate more sales down the road. If that was the case it backfired pretty bad.

• sorry man. it was forwarded to my email. i just reposted what i was sent.

but i could see it happening, with the mentality that if people see it at #1, and see a big amount of purchases in the first week that this would generate more sales down the road. If that was the case it backfired pretty bad.

It's actually much simpler, and holds true for Game and all of the other fairly sizeable first-week debuts this year: the first week sales figure factors in pre-order sales, both in physical stores and online (especially at Amazon) and these pre-order offers are sometimes introduced up to a month before the physical album is available. Consequently you're seeing a decent sied portion of the artist's hardcore fanbase buying the record in the weeks leading up to its official release date. That means the weeks after that first week are reflective of people who are not so loyal to the artist who have decided to buy the record based on hearing the single, or album cuts, or reading reviews. Based on the reviews of Kingdome come and the lack of a compelling second single, not surprisingly he hasn't convinced alot of peopl outside of his core fanbase to go out and spend money on something they can get for free on the internet.

• chasechase 767 Posts
    he couldnt just pay stores to rack up scans like everyone else?

or

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    he couldnt just pay stores to rack up scans like everyone else?

I was gonna say... this is the standard practice, why bother with spending millions on the physical copies?

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
    It's all fake BS anyhow. The numbers usually represent the "whole-sale" of stores stocking up. It doesn't mean every copy has a "retail" sell.

• i've heard that master p did this same thing early in his career in order to get onto the billboard charts and attract distributors .. genius!

• chasechase 767 Posts
    publishing companies do that with books to get on the best sellers list...

• its common practice. They are just more direct with labels/artists buying now that alot of mom and pop shops that "marketing companies" would use for scanning are closing up.