Seattle Storms

CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts
edited December 2006 in Strut Central
How are folks doing out there? Sounds pretty rough.
SEATTLE, Washington (AP) -- About 1.5 million homes and businesses in Washington and Oregon had no power early Friday after howling windstorms and heavy rains caused at least three deaths, closed two major bridges and sparked flooding.One of the concourses at Seattle-Tacoma International Airport was without electricity, and an airport spokesman said some flights likely would be canceled.A 41-year-old Seattle woman died Thursday after she became trapped in her basement while it flooded. Neighbors had called for help after they heard screaming.Also in Washington, two people died in traffic accidents involving windblown trees.Colder temperatures were expected Friday, as the storm passed and winds calmed, bringing heavy snow to lower elevations. (Watch which areas are being affected by this winter storm )About 700,000 customers of Puget Sound Energy were in the dark early Friday and about three-fourths of the circuits were down in the company's nine-county service area, spokesman Roger Thompson said.When repair crews were sent to assess damage, "they've had to pull back," Thompson said. "It's just been too hairy out there."Some customers won't have their lights back on for days, he said.Other utilities reported about 300,000 customers without power.The Hood Canal Floating Bridge, which links Washington's Kitsap and Olympic peninsulas, and the Evergreen Point Floating Bridge, which links Seattle and its eastern suburbs, were closed because of high wind gusts. The Hood Canal bridge was reopened Friday after about nine hours. (Watch how bridges are holding up against the big storm )In Oregon, Portland General Electric reported that power had been lost to about 245,000 of its customers -- about 30 percent of its service territory."That shows you the effect of the combination of wind and downed trees can have," said Mark Fryburg, a PGE spokesman.Pacific Power, which covers most of the rest of the state, reported 105,000 customers had lost electricity by Thursday night.The Oregon Department of Transportation closed three major highways crossing the Cascade Range because of fallen trees or downed power lines, and winds gusted past 90 mph on the Oregon coast.The National Weather Service said rainfall was expected to be as high as 8 inches on the coast and 5 inches in the Cascade Range, with snow at higher elevations. (Watch Chris Fisher's video of pounding waves as far north as Victoria, British Columbia )Rain drenched Qwest Field in Seattle just before kickoff of the NFL game between the Seahawks and San Francisco 49ers. The rain left standing water on the field, and about 30 minutes before kickoff, a power surge briefly knocked out the large video screens at both ends of the stadium.Seattle public schools were closed Friday, as were numerous smaller school systems and The Evergreen State College in Olympia.

Comments

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    Thank you for your concern. We live downtown so things are not too bad. Our parking garage was flooded, elevators stopped working in the building, etc. When I got to work this morning there was a huge tree that had fallen onto a car that was parked on the street. SMASH! Not good. My hommie in Montlake, near the University of Washington campus, was without power all night. I had power all night downtown. The worst parts are outside of the city. THOUSANDS of people without power 3 or 4 people killed in accidents, power lines and trees down all over. Reivers are flooding, etc. I am glad I live downtown in the city. Things are pretty hectic.

• Glad to hear your doing all right. The city center is usually the best place to be in these types of storms. They seem to have the proper infrastructure. It???s definitely the outlying areas that get fucked the worst. Hope the other struters out there are doing all right too.

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    I know that most of the other Seattle cats that post here live in the city as well. I think everyone should be good.

• It's pretty wild out here - there were a million people without power this morning, 175k of them within the city limits.

As of a couple hours ago most of the city is back online. They say some of rural King County will be out for three or four days.

Four people dead so far - one drowned and three hit by trees.

I drove out to the Eastside this morning to see what was happening at my work. Streets were flooded, huge trees down, people lining up for firewood and gas.

On the other hand, Capitol Hill was like a party today... the power was on, everyone had the day off work so every restaurant and store was crammed with people.

• Oh, and although we only lost power here (Beacon Hill) for a couple hours last night, our internet was out until an hour ago. Possibly explaining the radio silence from some of the other Seattle dudes...