budget options before Microwave?

mordecaimordecai 2,204 Posts
edited December 2006 in Strut Central
The catch 22 of getting Microwave for me is, (besides being horrible at saving $) I don't want to buy the here today/gone tomorrow stuff that most big clubs/corporate gigs want you to play....so I can't earn the $ I need to get Microwave. So...1. I'm looking for a budget mixing option before I get Microwave, hopefully sometime next year. any recommendations below $500? specific CD decks I should look at?a co-worker is giving me his old iBook but its too ancient to run Microwave... and its too ancient to run DJAY ( http://www.algoriddim.net/ ) [doesn't use real turntables, but looked like it might be cool to mix with until I get Microwave] that won't run on anything before 10.4. [I contacted them to see if they had an old version that would run on 10.3]For now, it looks like i'll just use the crossfade between tracks on iTunes (hatt me now).2. anyone got a drag & drop BPM counter for Mac???

Comments

• The catch 22 of getting Microwave for me is, (besides being horrible at saving $) I don't want to buy the here today/gone tomorrow stuff that most big clubs/corporate gigs want you to play....so I can't earn the $ I need to get Microwave. So...

1. I'm looking for a budget mixing option before I get Microwave, hopefully sometime next year. any recommendations below $500? specific CD decks I should look at?

a co-worker is giving me his old iBook but its too ancient to run Microwave... and its too ancient to run DJAY ( http://www.algoriddim.net/ ) [doesn't use real turntables, but looked like it might be cool to mix with until I get Microwave] that won't run on anything before 10.4. [I contacted them to see if they had an old version that would run on 10.3]
    For now, it looks like i'll just use the crossfade between tracks on iTunes (hatt me now).

2. anyone got a drag & drop BPM counter for Mac???

1) M-audio just came out with "tork" but i don't know much i trust what they do. Rane has also promised that all updates will be free downloads have been good about updating the software. They will come out with a pitch & time plugin that might cost money but will be under $50

2) the newest version of Microwave has tap temp, 1.7 will have automatic BPM. i prefer tap tempo programs cuase i don't trust auto BPMS for odd tempoed songs.

3) if $$$ is an issue maybe you should just stick with records for a bit. i got Microwave because i had a money gig lined up that i was going to need alot of music i didn't have for and i figured that was the right time for me to get Microwave. try to set up a wedding/prom gig for $$$$ so you can justify dropping the money.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    drew,

get a credit card and get that shit! mine payed for itself and my laptop in a couple weeks. then you can sell all those doodoo records to help subsidise as well.

• mordecaimordecai 2,204 Posts
    get a credit card and get that shit! mine payed for itself and my laptop in a couple weeks. then you can sell all those doodoo records to help subsidise as well.
    sold most of my doodoo records already.

• this is like asking what gemini DJ-in-a-box set you should get to tide you over until whenever.

don't be a sissy.

• don't be a sissy.

So says PandaMan.