commute strut

roneazyroneazy 111 Posts
edited December 2006 in Strut Central
Just curious who does it, how long, is it really as bad as they say in your opinion? I've done it a few times in my life, and they were tough times, but I liked the routine of it and the opportunities it provided in terms of employment... this would be for school, but i'm possibly facing this prospect again.. seems 'extreme commuting' is quite a buzzword these days... 3.4 million Americans since 2000 and counting... thoughts, please! RON

Comments

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    Just curious who does it, how long, is it really as bad as they say in your opinion? I've done it a few times in my life, and they were tough times, but I liked the routine of it and the opportunities it provided in terms of employment... this would be for school, but i'm possibly facing this prospect again.. seems 'extreme commuting' is quite a buzzword these days... 3.4 million Americans since 2000 and counting... thoughts, please!

RON

Don't move to La.

Until I moved into the city proper I was commuting 2 hours both ways (grand total of 4 hours on the road daily. Los angeles has terrible public transportation and traffic and Los angeles are forever linked.

Now that I lvoe i nthe city its a 20 minute drive both ways and a whole lot more sleep

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    I commuted from Philadelphia to Las Vegas every weekend for almost 18 months.

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    Los angeles has terrible public transportation

I've ended up in some pretty shady neighborhoods because of it.

• Just curious who does it, how long, is it really as bad as they say in your opinion? I've done it a few times in my life, and they were tough times, but I liked the routine of it and the opportunities it provided in terms of employment... this would be for school, but i'm possibly facing this prospect again.. seems 'extreme commuting' is quite a buzzword these days... 3.4 million Americans since 2000 and counting... thoughts, please!

RON

Don't move to La.

Until I moved into the city proper I was commuting 2 hours both ways (grand total of 4 hours on the road daily. Los angeles has terrible public transportation and traffic and Los angeles are forever linked.

Now that I lvoe i nthe city its a 20 minute drive both ways and a whole lot more sleep

How long, Guzzo?

• theory9theory9 1,128 Posts
    I live five minutes from my job.

• I'm 40 minutes both ways, and while it is totally doable, it is the worst part of my day. I, for one, hate driving, and HAAATE commuters, and their fucking Hummers and agro driving. So, that is part of my beef. But, I have a reverse commute (live in the city; work in the burbs) so traffic isn't a huge issue, and it is pretty managable.

My mom commuted 2 hrs. each way growing up, and ended up buying a 2nd house to spend the night in after night classes. After 15 years of that, she and my Dad decided it was time to live in one house again...so, they did it EXTREME and made it work.

• a 20 minute walk for me - great way to start the day

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    Just curious who does it, how long, is it really as bad as they say in your opinion? I've done it a few times in my life, and they were tough times, but I liked the routine of it and the opportunities it provided in terms of employment... this would be for school, but i'm possibly facing this prospect again.. seems 'extreme commuting' is quite a buzzword these days... 3.4 million Americans since 2000 and counting... thoughts, please!

RON

Don't move to La.

How long, Guzzo?

are you asking how long I was making this trek?

the answer would be 2 years. I always hoped that the redline/ gold line anyothercolorlone would eventually open up near my old spot but no plans have been put in motion. So I went ahead and moved

• I travel an hour each way by bus to NYC.

I think you have to have a certain kind of personality to be a good bus/train commuter. I see people who seriously blow their top when we're stuck in traffic. You have to give up control when you're not driving. I find that easier than dealing with road rage.

I deal with it by looking at it as enforced "down-time". I can turn off my phone, read the paper, listen to music, sleep, whatever, and it gives me an hour to prepare for work in the morning and decompress in the evening.

• if i can make all the lights-10 minutes, if i get caught by the lights, 15 minutes...for the last 10 years I have lived no further than 5 miles away from work. I cant fucking stand getting on an interstate for rush hour, also it would pain me to have to give up that much $$$ in gas....

"sounds to me like your working for your car, man...simplify!"

• I travel an hour each way by bus to NYC.

I think you have to have a certain kind of personality to be a good bus/train commuter. I see people who seriously blow their top when we're stuck in traffic. You have to give up control when you're not driving. I find that easier than dealing with road rage.

I deal with it by looking at it as enforced "down-time". I can turn off my phone, read the paper, listen to music, sleep, whatever, and it gives me an hour to prepare for work in the morning and decompress in the evening.

i loved my three years of training it to work, and i can't wait until some of the stuff here gets built up, and the commuter rail starts going to our front door.

• covecove 1,566 Posts
    A lot of attractive girls ride the bus round these parts. Makes the 10 minute ride almost too short some days...

• My commute SUCKS!!!! I drive 90 minutes each way 5 days a week. From LA to OC. The traffic is pretty awful and the only thing that makes all this shit palatable is having my sirius satellite radio. Howard Stern has made my morning commutes smoother for years now. Dunno what kinda apocalyptic shit will go down once he's off the air though.

• last year i was in my car about 2 hours a day, this year i gave that up. i walk everywhere, unless it's a DJ gig then am in my car less time than it takes to load/unload my gear cause most of my gigs are in town.

walking is where it's at.

• BeekBeek 146 Posts
    About 40 minutes there and 40 minutes back on the bus. I really don't mind it, I just relax and listen and to music. Plus I'm scheming on this one female... (Great thing about women commuting on the bus, you know they're employed and at least somewhat grown up.)

When the bus gets a little full, I get a little irritated and grumpy due to claustrophobia, and there are some snotty high school kids some days. But it beats driving as far as my wallet and sanity are concerned. ESPECIALLY in the winter when the roads are shit.

When the weather's nice, I might get off the bus a little early. So it'll be a 30 minute ride plus a 50 minute walk. Very relaxing.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    i walk five minutes to work

• My job is about a 15 minute drive away from my house in the opposite dirrection of most traffic so it's no problem.

I try to ride my bike to work at least 2 times a week. That usually takes 30 to 45 minutes.

• I walk about 5 minutes right now. That won't last forever but it's sweet for the time being.

I used to commute about 8 miles within the city and it would take me 30-45 minutes driving.

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts
    My commute is between 60-75 minutes each way on the subway, depending on how long transfers take and such. Like a few other people have mentioned, I try to make the most of it by reading, listening to music and prepping for/unwinding from the day.

Maybe it's because I'm a lifelong NYC resident, but I've never had a job where I didn't commute at least 20-30 minutes each way. If I could hop in a car and be home in 5 minutes, I don't think I'd be in the right frame of mind to relax when I got home, I'd still be in work mode, and vice versa in the AM. I need that subway ride to switch gears, especially in the AM, nothing throws my day off like running into someone I know on the train and having to talk and stuff instead of getting in the work frame of mind.

• DJFerrariDJFerrari 2,411 Posts
    15 minutes no rain... 30 minutes with rain. Fucking Californians not knowing how to drive in the rain!

It's all good, I got a new car a couple weeks ago so I don't mind that much. Besides, I used to commute an hour each way when I was living in San Francisco so this is much better.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    My Commute is 90 seconds by vehicle.

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Hey,

My commute to work is about 20 minutes each way (or about 18 miles there and back). On the one hand, driving on the main roads through downtown Milwaukee (my route to work) is pretty easy, especially after rush hour when I go into (or leave) the office (circa 10AM and 7PM, respectively). On the other hand, Interstates 43 and 94, traffic-wise, are virtually impossible to drive during rush hour. I use the drive in to listen to music and gear up (or down) for (from) the day. It's cool.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    15 minutes no rain... 30 minutes with rain. Fucking Californians not knowing how to drive in the rain!

It's all good, I got a new car a couple weeks ago so I don't mind that much. Besides, I used to commute an hour each way when I was living in San Francisco so this is much better.

My comnmute is roughly 40 min in the morning, 50-60 in the evening. There are times when it drags but for the most part, it's not so bad since it's rarely in stop and go.

NPR helps a lot.

• Maybe it's because I'm a lifelong NYC resident, but I've never had a job where I didn't commute at least 20-30 minutes each way. If I could hop in a car and be home in 5 minutes, I don't think I'd be in the right frame of mind to relax when I got home, I'd still be in work mode, and vice versa in the AM. I need that subway ride to switch gears, especially in the AM, nothing throws my day off like running into someone I know on the train and having to talk and stuff instead of getting in the work frame of mind.

Cosign.

It's a funny thing about NYC though, my coworkers who live in Queens and Brooklyn think I'm crazy for commuting an hour each way, but it takes them almost as much time to get to work as it does for me, between waiting for the subway and transfers and police activity and all the usual stuff.

• A lot of attractive girls ride the bus round these parts. Makes the 10 minute ride almost too short some days...

If you're from Montreal I believe that- best looking women in the world HANDS DOWN!

• Thanks for the input guys! Most of you seem pretty lucky! I don't consider anything under 30 minutes even worth mentioning! Unfortunately, I'm looking at 1.5 hrs each way... but the money it'll save me might be worth it - plus my sanity as I won't be relegated to being stuck in hickville Kitchener-Waterloo, Ontario as oppose to downtown Toronto... i don't know.. we'll see! I might have to bite the bullet and dawn a mullet for the greater good, but we'll see! Thanks again!

RON

ps. so far, the girls in KW that I've seen are NOTHING like those in Montreal.. I mean, atleast the girls in MTL have teeth!

• move!
    you don't want to be stuck doing that route in the winter. i did thornhill to oakville for a year and it wasn't fun. an hour commute can easily be 2 or 3 in bad weather (and it was). kitchener/waterloo definitely does sound bad, but you'll be saving THREE hours 5 times a week. assume you would otherwise drive 15 minutes - you're saving over 10 hours a week. put it into dollar terms even - assume your time is $20/hr (20/hr)(4 wks)(10 hrs/wk) = $800. don't forget the additional gas in that too and oil changes etc. you could easily head to toronto for the weekend parties and spend lavishly on hotels & drinks.
    and yeah, k/w ladies may not be the finest, but at least you have laurier & waterloo migrants for 8 mos/yr.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    I use the drive in to listen to music and gear up (or down) for (from) the day. It's cool.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

My commute is around an hour and a half each way by train and foot and I use it for the same purposes. As long as I've got some new music to listen to every couple of day i really don't mind the journey - really good for getting work out of my system before I get home as well.