A quick question about iPod formatting

luckluck 4,077 Posts
edited December 2006 in Strut Central
Situation: I recently purchased a new iPod (id est, the beginning of the rest of my life). When I got this device, I had not yet purchased my new Mac. To tide me over, I added some songs to my iPod on my work computer, which is a PC. Unbeknownst to me, the iPod became PC formatted. Last weekend, I got my new Mac.I'd like to reformat, but will this wipe my iPod of its young library? Is there a risk of losing more than music? Like: Will my world collapse? Will my clothes fall off? Will my Seahawks finally win a game convincingly?Seriously, though.

Comments

• you can get the songs off of your ipod, format your ipod, then load them onto your home mac. for mac, there is a program called ipod rip, which is free for 10 days or something. google it, it's pretty intuitive from there.

best
    t

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    just grab the songs off the ipod w/ a variety of programs available. Then you can reformat it and reupload your songs/playlists.

http://www.fadingred.org/senuti/

• another program is media four's x-play - you can get a free trial but its only $15 or something, basically will interface with your ipod across the two different operating systems

• pj4533pj4533 481 Posts
    Situation: I recently purchased a new iPod (id est, the beginning of the rest of my life). When I got this device, I had not yet purchased my new Mac. To tide me over, I added some songs to my iPod on my work computer, which is a PC. Unbeknownst to me, the iPod became PC formatted. Last weekend, I got my new Mac.
    I'd like to reformat, but will this wipe my iPod of its young library? Is there a risk of losing more than music? Like: Will my world collapse? Will my clothes fall off? Will my Seahawks finally win a game convincingly?

Seriously, though.

any reason you want to reformat? My iPod is PC formatted right now, but I use it connecting to Mac & PC, mostly my macbook though.

-pj

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    My fucking iPod (which is a replacement to one that died on my ass 6 months ago) now won't show up when I plug it into my computer... fucking piece of crap. ALL I want to do is get 2 songs off of there, and then I'll reformat it or whatever I have to do... fucking bullshit.

Anyone got any bright ideas?

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    My fucking iPod (which is a replacement to one that died on my ass 6 months ago) now won't show up when I plug it into my computer... fucking piece of crap. ALL I want to do is get 2 songs off of there, and then I'll reformat it or whatever I have to do... fucking bullshit.

Anyone got any bright ideas?

Mac or PC?

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Mac.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    Mac.

Ah, shit. I know a lot less about the inner workings of the Mac than I do about PCs unfortunately. I expect you've tried the general stuff like running the ipod updater? Have you tried plugging it into someone else's mac to see if it's recognised on there?

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    Situation: I recently purchased a new iPod (id est, the beginning of the rest of my life). When I got this device, I had not yet purchased my new Mac. To tide me over, I added some songs to my iPod on my work computer, which is a PC. Unbeknownst to me, the iPod became PC formatted. Last weekend, I got my new Mac.
    I'd like to reformat, but will this wipe my iPod of its young library? Is there a risk of losing more than music? Like: Will my world collapse? Will my clothes fall off? Will my Seahawks finally win a game convincingly?

Seriously, though.

any reason you want to reformat? My iPod is PC formatted right now, but I use it connecting to Mac & PC, mostly my macbook though.

-pj

I cannot update my iPod on my computer without having it Mac formatted.

• Mac.

have you downloaded ipod rip to see if it recognizes it?