Anyone in Hong Kong? Plaese holler

empanadamnempanadamn 1,462 Posts
edited December 2006 in Strut Central
hi, aser and i are trying to have a lover's get-away to HK for new year's / valentine's day 2007. just trying to figure out what's good in the hood and how plausible it is to get a gig (no trance-mo) as a gualo (sp) from new york city. are the clubs skrickly genre-ized, or do folks respond to a set that's cross genres onya?

Comments

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
    kenny
    davesrecords

are in HK. good luck!

b

• You know you could of just gone to Vermont to get married. But I guess since Aser is such a stickler for tradition that he wanted to have a traditional AzN wedding. I can't blame either of you, who could scoff at the prospect of having matching his and his rickshaw's.

OR

You've taken your yellow fervor to a new high-low, Gualo.

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    I think "sno" is too....

You're invited to the ceremony p*t, after all we do need an el salvadorian to pull them rickshaws. No HK'er will do it nowadays.

• snicka_gsnicka_g Hong Kong 276 Posts
    hi, aser and i are trying to have a lover's get-away to HK for new year's / valentine's day 2007. just trying to figure out what's good in the hood and how plausible it is to get a gig (no trance-mo) as a gualo (sp) from new york city.

are the clubs skrickly genre-ized, or do folks respond to a set that's cross genres onya?

What type of music would you want to play? Commercial hip-hop and breakbeat are the money gigs. How many nights/weeks would you be looking to stay?

• snosno 332 Posts
    Yes I am at HKG.
    For the record it should be spelled "gweilo".
    I am so disconnected from the night life in HKG, so I cannot offer any quater-decent advise. That said, I am sure you can spend a few nights at Macau. They got great food and great entertainment there.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,896 Posts
    Spent some of our honeymoon in HK. Expen$ivene$$!

However, I had the best food ever in Tom Yums Thai, 44 Hennessy Road, Wanchai. King prawns skewered on lemongrass was like manna.

Yes I am at HKG.
    For the record it should be spelled "gweilo".
    I am so disconnected from the night life in HKG, so I cannot offer any quater-decent advise. That said, I am sure you can spend a few nights at Macau. They got great food and great entertainment there.

MACAU -- http://djsheep.imeem.com/photo/3nGOgsQF/

peace.

• What type of music would you want to play? Commercial hip-hop and breakbeat are the money gigs. How many nights/weeks would you be looking to stay?

in nyc, i play all kinds of shit, but to please an audience, it falls mostly for a lowest common denominator crowd, so i gotta stick with commercial hip-hop, r&b, dancehall, and some pop, and not getting too off more than 10-12 yrs. old for that stuff.

i prefer to play all over the place, starting with chill stuff >> hip-hop/r&b/dancehall >> classics/80s/house/broken beat/bass/bmore club >> southern hip-hop/crunk/snap >> reggae stuff or some sort of scheme like that.

i'd also like to play a valentine's day gig with strictly music for lovers - r&b, (modern) soul, lick your lips like ll hip-hop, reggae, 80s pop, etc.

i definitely want to get some sort of more posh spot with aser so we can do some nipple tweaking house, broken beat, mad loungey sessions, spilling martinis and shirley temples all over each other.

are there places / audiences there open to that kind of shit, or is it a pretedermined diet for folks? if so, i'm fine with that. what's the average age of the club goer i HK? what's their frame of reference for music? i find it difficult to play for younger crowds because all they want to hear is chris brown or some shit. is there any charts for HK that show what's hot in the clubs/radio/streets? i want to be prepared when i send out promo stuff.

i won't play trance, and i know that's what a lot of kids are into. i'm just not into that.

any feedback, opinions, or tips would be greatly appreciated.

thanks homie.

kinda tough to get gigs in Taiwan, one of the guys in my crew and soulstrutter Kenny lives out there and has connects but done a handful of gigs in the years he's been back from Australia...

Good luck tho, I would suggest looking online for clubs and hitting them up direct!

peace.

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    we'll also be in shanghai eating dumprings for pennies a day, w00t!

emp wants some mainland love down at Sham Shui Po. Hook him up Kenny & Sno!

• snosno 332 Posts
    No worries. Sham Shui Po, Mongkok, wherever in Hong Kong, we got you covered.

• kennykenny 1,024 Posts
    yea no problems!

hit me up on the email: [email]djkenny@mail.com[/email]

HORRA AT CHA BUOY!!!

• ok asser just explained to me about those areas and getting love.

i don't love 'em hoes/
    i'm out the do'