Recommendationstrut: Expand on a topic RR

dollar_bindollar_bin I heartily endorse this product and/or event 2,326 Posts
edited December 2006 in Strut Central
So...I have a friend (not me, I swear) who just discovered Lonnie Liston Smith Expansions and is begging for further recommendations of stuff along those lines. I dashed off a few suggestions (Idris Mohammad, Headhunters, etc.) but I thought I'd throw it out to the strut brain trust for some more.Or should I just tell him to ?

Comments

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    eddie henderson

• pjl2000xlpjl2000xl 1,795 Posts
    some les mccan, want to get real weird and cosmic sun ra, chico hamiliton, maybe some gary bartz. lots of stuff on dutchman has that weird trippy jazz feel.

• dollar_bindollar_bin I heartily endorse this product and/or event 2,326 Posts
    Awesome, thanks! I believe that weird and cosmic might be the way to go for this cat.

• bthavbthav 1,538 Posts
    pharaoh sanders and terry callier for some reason remind me of lonnie.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    gil scott heron

• Manzel

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    pharaoh sanders and terry callier for some reason remind me of lonnie.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    Charles Earland - Leaving This Planet

• pharaoh sanders and terry callier for some reason remind me of lonnie.

lonnie played quite a bit on pharoah's impulse releases...

also on some of gato barbieri's flying dutches.

alice coltrance i recommend also.

I love this dude. One of my favorite artists off that label. I use a lot of his records for weird abstract noises for beats.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts

alice coltrance i recommend also.

Ptah, the El Daoud, Universal Consciousness and, in particular, Journey in Satchidananda are some of my favourite headphone albums.

Henderson's Sunburst album is great.

Also, while a little more off centre, would recommend checking Gary Bartz's Medicine Man and Norman Connors' Dark Of Light.

• waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts
    headphone albums.

That's an apt description that I've never heard before.

• Isn't/wasn't there a whole UK scene built around 'jazz dance' tracks like this? Correct me if I'm wrong.

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    Azymuth?

• Hell, Dexter Wansel's Life on Mars is close (in my pmg, anyway)

• Larry Young "Lawrence of Newark" perhaps? That's pretty "out there".

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts

I love this dude. One of my favorite artists off that label.

No, do not send your friend looking for Gato LPs, dollarbin. His sax will kill the buzz of the funky Rhodes sound dude is going for. I'll cosign some Les McCann, but LL can work a Fender like none other...

Tell him to pick up these other choice Smith releases:

Then move into the Pharoah camp, starting with:

or

that is true. gato does get pretty buckwild with the sax and electric sax. can get pretty abstract. Ive got to get that karma joint. I have thembi and i love it. back to the og post though, how about some ronnie foster? some of his stuff, is on that acid jazz/funk jazz tip. and also gene harris some chill jazzy sounding joints. Not really like liston, but i would refer them to people that dug liston.