Let's Get It On vs. What's Goin On

batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
edited December 2006 in Strut Central
OR What U got ...............AND WHY Batchez????????And dont be tryin to bring other albums into the equation.

Comments

• schitt is just so deep politically. more of a bellweather of the times than let's get it on and yet the music is somehow just as timeless.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    schitt is just so deep politically.

Let's Get It On = Black Love Politics.....???

Devils advocate.

• hit it to what's going on more than let's get it on.

hit it to what's going on more than let's get it on.

so u pop in WGO before LGO when its time to get busy?

Becky- " Wholy Holy is my shit!!"

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Emotionally, I'd have to go with "Let's Get It On." Just on a song-for-song basis, it's such an amazing and pleasurable listen:

Let's Get It On
    Please Stay
    If I Should Die Tonight
    Distant Lover
    Just to Keep You Satisfied

The fact the album ends with that last song is incredible too...it's like undoing the whole arc of the album yet there's no denying how incredibly powerful it is too.

• hit it to what's going on more than let's get it on.

so u pop in WGO before LGO when its time to get busy?

Becky- " Wholy Holy is my shit!!"

yep call me crrraaaazzzzzzzy.

Just to add - I think "What's Going On" is the superior album musically. But "Let's Get It On" just appeals more, if that makes sense.

• theory9theory9 1,128 Posts
    Just to add - I think "What's Going On" is the superior album musically. But "Let's Get It On" just appeals more, if that makes sense.

• PonyPony 2,283 Posts
    I was hoping this was going to be a mash-up post!

I have instrumentals and acapellas for both title tracks, could make it happen!

True/No Doubt.

Leon Ware vs. Whomever?

Just to Keep You Satisfied
    The fact the album ends with that last song is incredible too...it's like undoing the whole arc of the album yet there's no denying how incredibly powerful it is too.

Pre-cursor to Here My Dear. But dont try to bring other albums into this bitch.

Distant Lover-

You know, when you're in love and your lover leaves you
    And you've got nobody, the lonely hours over here
    Sittin' home and thinkin', you say:

Distant lover, darlin', ooo hoo hoo
    So many miles away, ooo please
    Oh please, baby, think about me
    Hey, in misery
    Oh say, baby, as I reminisce about your life
    That we shared together
    The promises we made, baby
    Of the day you left, child
    Then all of a sudden, if it may seem to explode
    Now I gaze out my window, sugar, down a lonesome road, ooo

Distant lover, ooo, sugar
    How can you treat my heart so mean and cruel
    Didn't you know, sugar, that I dream
    Of what I spent with you
    I treasure it like it was a precious jewel, oh baby
    Lord have mercy!

Oh baby, don't go
    Please come back, baby
    Ooo, something I wanna say
    When you left to go away
    No 'ther do I want, do you wanna have me plead and scream
    Please! Please, oh please baby
    Come back home, girl
    Oh baby, come back
    Oh oh

or

What's Going On-

Mother, mother
    There's too many of you crying
    Brother, brother, brother
    There's far too many of you dying
    You know we've got to find a way
    To bring some lovin' here today - Ya

Father, father
    We don't need to escalate
    You see, war is not the answer
    For only love can conquer hate
    You know we've got to find a way
    To bring some lovin' here today

Picket lines and picket signs
    Don't punish me with brutality
    Talk to me, so you can see
    Oh, what's going on
    What's going on
    Ya, what's going on
    Ah, what's going on

In the mean time
    Right on, baby
    Right on
    Right on

Father, father, everybody thinks we're wrong
    Oh, but who are they to judge us
    Simply because our hair is long
    Oh, you know we've got to find a way
    To bring some understanding here today
    Oh

Picket lines and picket signs
    Don't punish me with brutality
    Talk to me
    So you can see
    What's going on
    Ya, what's going on
    Tell me what's going on
    I'll tell you what's going on - Uh
    Right on baby
    Right on baby

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    modern american movies have spoiled let's get it on for me (at least the title track)

• schitt is just so deep politically. more of a bellweather of the times than let's get it on and yet the music is somehow just as timeless.

Let's Get It On may not have been "a bellweather of the times," but then again that wasn't the point...

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    Let's Get It On = Black Love Politics.....???

I think you're going over the heads of many crack rappers here.

Moving on, What's Going On has a very introspective feel to it that I appreciate.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    What's Goin On is a truly beautiful, beautiful, album. Having said that, I tend to play Let's Get It On all the way through on a far more regular basis.

Therefore, while recognising the genius of WGO, from a personal point of view, I'll go with LGIO.

• catalistcatalist 1,373 Posts

Instant decision , didn't have to think twice.

This album just speaks to me more, such deep music and his lyrics are amazing.... I'll have to pull out Let's Get It On and give it another listen but I know that record and I know this record and for me I can't really compare.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    "Whats Going On" because I've burned out on "Let's Get It On" and can't take it seriously, plus aside from "Trouble Man" "Inner City Blues" is maybe the best song he ever did.

Anyone have the Deluxe version of Let's Get It On?

Word. The extra material here is better than on the similar package for "What's Going On."

I also agree with a previous posters: excessive abuse of "Let's Get It On" makes it harder to enjoy that song but in general, the other songs definitely help balance things out.

But yes, "Inner City Blues" is fucking amazing.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

the rawest emotion filled album cover EVAR!

don't even debate it, just accept

There is a disturbing irony here, no?

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    'round my way we got that one and the john Leguizamo billboard

both are

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts

great thread.

lets get it on is an amazing piece of work, even with the over exposed title track,(which only attests to the mans brilliance IMO) a beautiful journey of an album but whats going on is a staple in my house, i absolutly love this album. (and does anyone else think that the photo on the back sould have been the cover?}LGIO would dominate in just about any other competition, but in this case, its WGO.

WGO.

Just to add to NZ's point:

What's remarkable about Gaye's songs is that they've totally been overexposed, covered (badly) by dozens, and as thoroughly saturated into the larger mass culture world as anything you can imagine...YET...for the most part, the poignancy of the songs survive intact. I can't say the same for other songs that have been put through the marketing wringer (say, for example, songs associated with "The Big Chill").

But a song like "What's Going On" or "Let's Get It On" STILL sound amazing. If that's not a testament to their greatness, I don't know what is.

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts

Word

Double . Lots of goodies on that double set. Highly recommended. I really like the '72 live show from The Kennedy Center on disc 2. You can hear that Marvin hasn't performed in 4 years, he's nervous and high, and there's been minimal rehearsal time with the orchestra. Take a listen to the performance of Right On. There's a sluggish feel to it (you can even hear his voice cracking at one point), but at the same time it's got an honest and emotional quality that I'm feeling.

I vote WGO, but LGIO is amazing as well.

• tuneuptuneup 586 Posts
    Just to add to NZ's point:

What's remarkable about Gaye's songs is that they've totally been overexposed, covered (badly) by dozens, and as thoroughly saturated into the larger mass culture world as anything you can imagine...YET...for the most part, the poignancy of the songs survive intact. I can't say the same for other songs that have been put through the marketing wringer (say, for example, songs associated with "The Big Chill").

But a song like "What's Going On" or "Let's Get It On" STILL sound amazing. If that's not a testament to their greatness, I don't know what is.

this is the absolute truth.....well said. Also, i guess i'd have to go with WHAT'S GOIN ON as well. The overall vision on that record is so special, that nothing can truly compare.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    don't think i can pick - each feeds a different part of the brain/soul, scratches a different itch.

• pknypkny 549 Posts
    Gotta give it up to "What's Goin On", just for the fact that so many people like Berry Gordy told him that putting out the record would be commercial suicide. Dude didn't care, and put his career on the line to get the record released, because he was so moved by what was going on at the time.

How many artists of today would dare do such a thing?