What gets you in the Holiday Spirit?

yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
edited December 2006 in Strut Central
My all-time favorite X-mas movie is Home Alone. I watch it almost every year around this time.Everyone's putting up their X-mas lights outside. And walking around the neighborhood at night while having a stoge gets me all soft and bittersweet, cuz this year I don't have my gf of 4 years with me.I'm listening to some mellow christmas music on the radio...What gets you in the holiday spirit?

Comments

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts

• cosine charlie.

talking to my sister about plans to go home. talking to my parents about the dinner menu. i'm loving our tree this year, that really helped; helping my friends sell their wares at various craft fairs. just taking some time to be with my family and friends, and try to share time with them.

i'm really excited about this christmas...

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts

What gets you in the holiday spirit?

Lots of liquor! LOL. Nothing really. I'm not a big fan of Christmas or the holidays. People act extra nice the whole month of December. Why are these same people not as nice the rest of the year? The whole month of December is somewhat disturbing and phony. People buy TOO many presents, sing too many silly songs, put too many dumb ass decorations all over their house, etc. I think it is just a bunch of activities to keep people from getting too depressed in the winter. All my family is in New York this Christmas and my wife and I will be here in Seattle. I think we might just cook dinner or go out and eat somewhere nice. I can't even drink too much because I have to work on the 26th.

Ya'll can call me "Big Scrooge" for the month of December instead of "Big Chan."

Bah humbug batches!

• verb606verb606 2,518 Posts
    I try to be all hard and cynical about holiday consumerism and religious hypocrisy round about now, but then i run into someone playing either Bing Crosby or Johnny Mathis' christmas album, and i get all sentimental. those are the soundtrack to a cozy Christmas at home with my family.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts

What gets you in the holiday spirit?

Lots of liquor! LOL. Nothing really. I'm not a big fan of Christmas or the holidays. People act extra nice the whole month of December. Why are these same people not as nice the rest of the year? The whole month of December is somewhat disturbing and phony. People buy TOO many presents, sing too many silly songs, put too many dumb ass decorations all over their house, etc. I think it is just a bunch of activities to keep people from getting too depressed in the winter. All my family is in New York this Christmas and my wife and I will be here in Seattle. I think we might just cook dinner or go out and eat somewhere nice. I can't even drink too much because I have to work on the 26th.

Ya'll can call me "Big Scrooge" for the month of December instead of "Big Chan."

Bah humbug batches!

The kids are REALLY getting me amp'd for Christmas this year! There is nothing like starting traditions with your own family.

• coffinjoecoffinjoe 1,743 Posts
    There is nothing like starting traditions with your own family.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    when I was a kid my fokls had this gawdy electric Hannukia that we kept on top of our wood panel microwave.

I'd light the candles (AKA twist the bulbs) and say the prayer over the lights and then I'd sing Mah-O-Tzoor for my deaf parents. they would smile back and then we'd get back to watching Death Wish 4, Lionheart or some other Van Damme./ Charles Bronson film.

I miss those days

• It???s not really the holidays until I get drunk off of and throw up Egg Nog.

• all day, err yerr

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    crack rap

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    crack rap

white christmas?

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    crack rap

white christmas?

• The holidays depress the fuck out of me. The only thing that makes it worthwhile for me is the exact moment giving gifts and or making phone calls to your family and friends.

I also like "The Christmas Story" but even that ,at times, bum me out.

Waahbulance on 22's

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    I'm a foot soldier in the war on christmas.

Except, I'm not on xmas's side. Xmas is my enemy.

We wear red and green camo uniforms to blend in.

We come like theives in the night.

Soon xmas will be destroyed!!!!!!

But Jews shouldn't feel safe either. Once xmas has been taken down, Channakuh is next on our list.

We've already order our blue and white camo uniforms and ninja stars shaped like the star of david.

This time around, the revolution will not be televised!

• My favorite holiday moments were when my pop and I would go Chrstmas Shopping for my mom...we always went on Christmas Eve, and it always included chowing down a big meal at a favorite restaurant and big spending spree at the candy store to top off the day of buying mom stuff. Sadly niether of my folks are here any more...I miss those shopping trips.

I had a lot of fun last year going to buy a live tree and decorating it with my girl, looking forward to that this week...perhaps tonight.

• also:

brings me good vibrations...