An open letter to Tico Torres

johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
edited June 2005 in Strut Central
Dear Tico,Your drumming is fairly basic, but then again you play fairly basic music. You are no Tommy Aldridge, that's for sure. I believe you are right up there with Rikki Rocket of Poison.When the history of hard rock and heavy metal drumming is written, it is safe to say that you may be omitted.Then again, prove me wrong. Leave Jon Bongiovi and play some jazz, like many of your other hard rock and pop contemporaries. Steve Smith, I am sure you are familiar with his drumming in Journey, now has a career in jazz. Good music.Your drumming is not authoritarian. The guy who played on Gypsy's "Here In The Garden", that was authoritarian. In your face smacky wacky boomboom FWAP FWAP drumming. You, Tico Torres, are no George Suranovich.Thank you for your time.

Comments

• pknypkny 549 Posts
    You better check my pedigree, son[/b]

Tico Torres...
    As a young jazz fan, studying with Joe Morello, Tico never could have imagined the success that would come his way. Even before he joined with Jon Bon Jovi in 1983, Tico had a successful career as a drummer. His studio and live experience with Frankie and the Knockouts, Pat Benatar, Chuck Berry, Cher, Alice Cooper, and Stevie Nicks helped to establish him as a first call player. Playing with Bon Jovi has simply been the icing on the cake.

Few bands embodied the era of pop-metal like Bon Jovi. The New Jersey-based quintet developed an ingratiatingly melodic and professional variation of hard-rock - one that appealed as much to teenagers as to adults. Their videos helped propel 1986's Slippery When Wet and 1988's New Jersey into multi-platinum status around the world. The group managed to subtly change their image in the early '90s, moving away from metal and concentrating on straightforward arena-rock and ballads. The shift in style worked, and Bon Jovi was the only American pop-metal band of the '80s to retain a sizable audience in the '90s.

• mrpekmrpek 627 Posts
    Dude looks like Mel Gibson right there!

anybody seen the drummer Carmin Apice from Rod Stewarts "If you want my body Video" He is coming hard. Plus Rod had the jumming Bass player in that one

• Dude looks like Mel Gibson right there!

anybody seen the drummer Carmin Apice from Rod Stewarts "If you want my body Video" He is coming hard[/b]. Plus Rod had the jumming Bass player in that one

AYO...(jumming????)

• mrpekmrpek 627 Posts
    jumping
    though jumming could be some hot new Houston slang

• jumping
    though jumming could be some hot new Houston slang

I liked "jumming" better.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    anybody seen the drummer Carmin Apice from Rod Stewarts "If you want my body Video" He is coming hard.

Carmine Appice...killa...Vanilla Fudge, Cactus, Ozzy...ol' Rod "stomach pump" Stewart..plus many others...