Producers with Day Jobs, How many beats a day...

MangomanMangoman 549 Posts
edited April 2005 in Strut Central
Producers with Day Jobs(other than making beats), How many beats do you bang out a day or week on the average? And Producers with Day Jobs(other than making beats)and have kids/families, How many beats do you bang out a day or week on the average? Just wondering, cause I've read of dudes doing 3-8 beats a day, I can't imagine if you work a full time day job and taking care of a fam would do to a dude.... Big Up for those dude's who can pull it off! Since I'm on the subject, who are if any well known producers still work that day job.... Jakeone, who else?

Comments

• djdazedjdaze 3,099 Posts
    I would say like 1/16 per day...pretty good huh?

• EscalanteEscalante 197 Posts
    Producers with Day Jobs(other than making beats), How many beats do you bang out a day or week on the average?

And Producers with Day Jobs(other than making beats)and have kids/families, How many beats do you bang out a day or week on the average?

Just wondering, cause I've read of dudes doing 3-8 beats a day, I can't imagine if you work a full time day job and taking care of a fam would do to a dude.... Big Up for those dude's who can pull it off! Since I'm on the subject, who are if any well known producers still work that day job.... Jakeone, who else?

I recently got a 9-5 and that got me to about 4 beats(keepers) a week if i'm lucky...

I also got a studio so that takes up alot of my extra time doing sessions too..

• 20 beats a day, easy. Some of them have hi-hats, some of them have no hi-hats.

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts
    20 beats a day, easy. Some of them have hi-hats, some of them have no hi-hats.

...some of them are only hi-hats.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    Good post, I just read some interview of guys making 8 beats a day. I don't know how good you are, but 8 banging beats a day? 56 HOT ASS BEATS A WEEK? Whatever. Maybe one of those is the truth in a week, while the rest go in the "hook up a homie up/wack mc with a little money" disk file.

I make one keeper once every 2 weeks. I don't even bother keeping crap, it just takes up disks. When I was doing NOTHING I was making 2-3 beats a day, but barely any of them are even worthwhile.

But now that I'll have the summer off maybe I can make a keeper once a week.

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    im pretty focused right now.

but that said i couldnt calculate how many tracks in 1 day... i have about 30 tracks on my harddrive that i work on till shit gets done.

i think i've finished about 8 since january.

and those are all gettin/got pressed so by done i mean DONE.

Word. What's the point of making/saving 20 beats when they aren't worthwhile of getting heard/sold/pressed up?

Word on the Madlib thing as well, I just got one of his beat CD's. Out of like 56 I liked maybe around 7 or 8.

Dubious:

Yeah, when I say one beat a week, that's a beat I like and I would give to emcee's/etc...

• If I can get 3 a week, that's gravy. My schedules more stable now , so I'm shooting for 7-10.

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    Word. What's the point of making/saving 20 beats when they aren't worthwhile of getting heard/sold/pressed up?

cannibalising to make better tracks out of later??

i often go grab little bits and pieces from half finished tracks.

but then again its real easy to move stuff around on a computer.

sometimes that FIRE 8 bars you never really made a whole joint out of fits right in as the middle 8 on some other jam that is workin.. and then it's just the icing on the cake!!!

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts

• MorseCodeMorseCode 1,516 Posts
    Word on the Madlib thing as well, I just got one of his beat CD's. Out of like 56 I liked maybe around 19 or 20.

Which really surprised me actually, 'cause I tend to cheerlead for dude.

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    Word on the Madlib thing as well, I just got one of his beat CD's. Out of like 56 I liked maybe around 19 or 20.

Which really surprised me actually, 'cause I tend to cheerlead for dude.

Y'all heard his broken beat shit? He's the homie and all, but it was bammer!

Actually I really liked his broken beat stuff MORE than anything he's done in the past year or two.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    Good post, I just read some interview of guys making 8 beats a day. I don't know how good you are, but 8 banging beats a day? 56 HOT ASS BEATS A WEEK? Whatever.

That shit always bugged me, too. Motherfuckers bragging about, "I can make a beat in 15 minutes!" "Yeah, well I can make one in 10!" And then you hear it, and it sounds like...something sombody slapped together in 10 minutes. Howzabout focusing on quality instead of speed? You're not gonna be measured by throughput but by how dope your stuff is.

Anyway, yeah, I can maybe do one or two a week. It sort depends on how crazy I want to get with them. Sometimes I get obsessed over some little detail and spend all week working on that one detail of one beat. Other times, things just flow together. But it was definitely easier making beats when I didn't have a job because I had all day to noodle around and let the creativity set its own schedule rather than having just a couple hours per night to try to make something happen.

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
    Producers with Day Jobs(other than making beats)and have kids/families, is this board really a part of your life?

• JacobWizzleJacobWizzle 1,003 Posts
    I make anywhere from 1-5 beats in a week. Really depends on if I have to track beats out, edit or mix something. I don't like working on slaps for more than a hour or two at a time. It all starts sounding like crap after awhile. I don't know anyone who makes 8 good beats a day.

• HAZE1HAZE1 40 Posts
    i usally make one beat a day. 1 before work and 1 after work and the gym. I really try to get that in though. If i dont i feel mad guilty and think that im slipping.

• MoSSMoSS 458 Posts
    During the week I'm out. Usually what I end up doing is 5-6 beats every second weekend. No time after the 9-5, especially since I have a part time also. To be honest, I've been selling a lot of shit I made three years so the work effort has been allowed to slack a bit. I can't force music so either I vibe or don't. I also can't spend too much time on a track. I'm not one of those fools that spends 5 hours to do 1 bridge that happens for 10 seconds in a 5 minute song.

• FYIFYI 15 Posts
    I think there also needs to be a distintion between beats for Mc's versus instrumental beats. If you're doing a beat for an MC it can be a lot more sparse because You have an MC. If you are making instrumental beats you have to Spend alot of time on the details to make it interesting to the listener. Which means it could take a week or more just for one beat

• erewhonerewhon 1,123 Posts
    I've had less and less time to spend making beats lately, so my output is like one nice beat a month.