Tommy Boy "Hip Hop Essentials 1979-1991" comp...

BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
edited December 2006 in Strut Central
is pretty thowed. Peep the tracklisting stolen from t t l:CD 01Fearless Four: Rockin' ItBeastie Boys: Hey LadiesBoogie Down Productions: South BronxEgyptian Lover: Egypt EgyptSalt-N-Pepa: TrampMarley Marl: The SymphonyDoug E. Fresh: La Di Da DiSugar Hill Gang: Rapper's DelightDr. Jeckyll & Mr. Hyde: Genius RapToo Short: The GhettoGrandmaster Flash & Furious Five: ScorpioJJ Fad: SupersonicCd 2Funky 4 + 1: That's The JointGrandmaster Flash The Furious Five: FreedomPublic Enemy: Bring The NoiseRob base And DJ E-Z Rock: It Takes TwoKool Moe Dee: Wild Wild WestFat Boys: Fat BoysBusy Bee: Making Cash MoneyDe La Soul: Ring Ring Ring( Ha Ha Hey)Jungle Brothers: JimbrowskiQueen Latifah: Ladies First ft. Monie LoveWorld Famous Supreme Team: Hey DJJimmy Spicer: Money (Dollar Bill Y'all)CD 03EPMD: It's My ThingThe DOC: It's Funky EnoughSchoolly D: PSK What Does It Mean?A Tribe Called Quest: Can I Kick It?Just Ice: Goin' Way BackRoxanne Shante: Have A nice DayBoogie Down Productions: P Is FreeChubb Rock: Treat 'Em RightDJ Jazzy Jeff & fresh Prince: Girls Aint Nuthin' But TroubleSalt-N-Pepa: Let's Talk About SexCrash Crew: Breakin' Balls (Take Me To The Mardi Gras)Afrika Bambaataa And James Brown: UnityCd 04Public Enemy: Rebel Without A PauseKid N' Play: Last NightBiz Markie: Nobody Beats The BizMC Lyte: Paper ThinLL Cool J: Goin' Back To CaliDe La Soul: Plug Tunin'Young MC: Bust A MoveMain Source: Looking At The Front DoorDana Dane: CinderfellaEd OG & Da Bulldogs: Be A Father To Your ChildWhistle: Just Buggin'Tim Dog: F**k ComptonCD 05Spoonie Gee: The GodfatherSlick Rick: Children's StoryBoogie Down Productions: My PhilosophyGrandmaster Flash & The Furious Five: New York, New YorkGang Starr: Just To Get A RepEric B. & Rakim: My MelodyRun DMC: King Of RockTone Loc: Wild ThingBiz Markie: Just A FriendSugar Hill Gang: The Lover In YouMasterdon Committee: Funk Box Party2 Live Crew: We Want Some P**sydCD 06Naughty By Nature: OPPGang Starr: Words I ManifestBiz Markie: VaporsMC Lyte: I Cram 2 Understand USpoonie Gee: Spoonin' RapEric B. & Rakim: I Know You Got SoulSpecial Ed: I Got It MadeTreacherous Three: Body Rock2 Much: Wild ThangSir Mix-A-Lot: Posse On BroadwaySugar Hill Gang: 8th WonderMantronix: Fresh Is The WordCD 07Eric B. & Rakim: Microphone FiendA Tribe Called Called Quest: Bonita ApplebaumDJ Jazzy Jeff & The Fresh Prince: Parents Just Don't UnderstandTone Loc: Funky Cold MedinaEPMD: Gold DiggerN.W.A.: F**k The Police45 King: The 900 NumberAMG: Bitch Betta Have My MoneyLatee: This Cut's Got FlavorBig Daddy Kane: Ain't No Half Steppin'Digital Underground: Humpty DanceJoeski Love: Pee Wee's DanceCD 08Ice-T: I'm Your PusherStetsasonic: Talkin All That JazzAfrika Bambaataa & The Soulonic Force: Planet RockJimmy Spicer: The Bubble BunchSalt-N-Pepa: My Mic Sounds NicePublic Enemy: Fight The PowerRun DMC: Walk This WayDJ Quick: Sweet Black Pu**yQueen Latifah: Wrath Of My MadnessCrash Crew: On The RadioDigital Underground: DoowutchyalikeCD 09Audio Two: Top BillinKid Frost: La RazaKool G Rap & DJ Polo: It's A DemoRun DMC: It's Like ThatJimmy Spicer: The Adventures Of Super RhymesBiz Markie: Pickin' BoogersEric B. & Rakim: Eric B. Is PresidentBoogie Down Productions: The Bridge Is OverKid N' Play: Do This My WayAfrika Bambaataa & The Jazzy Five: Jazzy SensationChill Rob G: The PowerT-Ski Valley: Catch The BeatCD 10Grandmaster Flash & The Furious Five: White LinesUTFO: Roxanne RoxannePublic Enemy: Don't Believe The HypeUltramagnetic MC's: Ego Trippin'Big Daddy Kane: RawMellow Man Ace: MentirosaLL Cool J: Around The Way GirlT-La Rock: It's YoursRun DMC: Sucker MC'sKurtis Blow: 8 Million StoriesKool Moe Dee: Go See The Doctor2 Live Crew: Me So HornyCD 11Sequence: Funk You UpGrandmaster Flash & The Furious Five: The MessageSchoolly D: Gucci TimeIce-T: ColorsSalt-N-Pepa: Push It3rd Bass: The Gas FaceBrand Nubian: Slow DownHeavy D & The Boyz: Mr. Big StuffA Tribe Called Quest: Check The RhymeMalcolm McLaren & The World Famous Supreme Team: Buffalo GalsDe La Soul: Buddy - Native Tongue Decision VersionKurtis Blow: If I Ruled The WorldCD 12Kurtis Blow: The BreaksBeastie Boys: Hold It Now, Hit It!Afrika Bambaataa & The Soulsonic Force: Looking For The Perfect BeatRun DMC: Rock BoxJust Ice: Cold Gettin' DumbMC Shan: The BridgeDe La Soul: Me, Myself And IMain Source: Live At The BarbequeKing Tee: Played Like A PianoHeavy D & The Boyz: We Got Our Own ThangFearless Four: It's MagicCold Crush Brothers: Weekend

Comments

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Isn't this like the FOURTH "greatest hits" series that Tommy Boy has put out? Talk about recycling your own catalog to death.

• The only disadvantage to this will be the price.

EDIT: ODub, I would say this goes well beyond a greatest hits. This thing's practically an anthology.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    i think it's a good focus period for younger hip hop listeners. there's a lot of influence during these years and kids aint gonna hear this shit anywhere else. if i had any younger relatives, i wouldnt hestitate in buying this for them. t t l has it for 100 which i think is quite reasonable for 12 cds even though it's recycled material

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts

The only disadvantage to this will be the price.

EDIT: ODub, I would say this goes well beyond a greatest hits. This thing's practically an anthology.

The 12 volumes are no joke but Tommy Boy's done multi-volume sets before (their 5-volume "Greatest Beats" being the most substantial):

http://www.amazon.com/Tommy-Boys-Greates...ie=UTF8&s=music

But there was also the 4-volume "The Perfect Beat" series.

Looks like TB has finally decided just to empty the cabinet.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    shit, i never really paid attention to any of those older comps. still though, this one is THOROUGH and priced well

• piedpiperpiedpiper 1,279 Posts
    yup, that seems to be a well done best of collection.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

The only disadvantage to this will be the price.

The 12 volumes are no joke but Tommy Boy's done multi-volume sets before (their 5-volume "Greatest Beats" being the most substantial):

http://www.amazon.com/Tommy-Boys-Greates...ie=UTF8&s=music

But there was also the 4-volume "The Perfect Beat" series.

Looks like TB has finally decided just to empty the cabinet.

Well, this one is not assembled exclusively from the TB catalog.

I don't know--looks kind of like a hodge-podge to me, but might be just the thing for younger listeners.

• no random rap??? or fast rap????

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    I dont understand the choices? Are these what Tommy Boy put out or someone @ TB outlook of essential singles.

Tim Dog was on Ruffhouse Columbia
    Many other acts werent even on Tommy Boy.

Did Tommy Boy absord the rights to all these seminal tracks/song and claim they put them out? WTF???

RUN DMC?
    Justice?

Or could it have been called Victoria's Secrets Hip Hop Hits 79-92.....right. Is it just simple Branding.