Fur Coat Depreciation Post

white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
edited December 2006 in Strut Central
I know these things are supposed to be a sign of riches and extravagance. But everytime I see an old lady with a fur coat on, I want to puke. It's not like they're wearing the fur of a cool animal like a lion (not that I would ever condone killing such a magnificent beast), but always the fur of a rodent-like creature with some brownish-blackish fur. Shit just looks like carnage. I'm not vegetarian and believe you me, I can get down with a decent leather jacket (though I sport a wool coat most times). But every year I see these coats and forget that they were once the money coat, the top of the line fits. I can't believe it. Anyway, it kind of makes me want to carry around a can of red paint.

Comments

• funny that you posted this. i was just looking through an old issue of complex where they do spot checks and talk to certain folks who are on top of the scene there. this issue was supreme and sureshot. supreme's must have was his mink coat.

• JustAliceJustAlice 1,308 Posts
    Personally, I have nothing against wearing fur. I dont understand why people get bent out of shape about other peoples choices. If you dont like it dont buy it, but why be pissed if someone else feels differently?? I think peta and anti-fur campaigns are no different than evangelist right wing pro-life folks that condenm anyone for believing in something they think is wrong. Its a personal choice and if it doesnt affect you directly why go on about how awful it is?? Thankfully though, you have the right to complain and I have the right to wear fur.

I did happen to catch the first part of the billboard music awards last night and thought this part with Mary J. was pretty entertaining.

She came up to accept her first award ( I think three6mafia was giving it to her and they were fucked up beyond belief!! Probably never be invited back for that again...anyways ) So MJB comes up to get her award and she is wearing a 6 foot stole, sunglasses and a couple frisbees for earings. The stole kept falling off her shoulder during her speech...eventually she just dropped it on the ground and one of the three6 dudes picked it up and is all waiving it around in the air and shit......it was funny. I tried to find a picture but no luck on that.

Also, they make leather out of Stingray and Shark nowadays so it is ever evolving. Maybe in the future they can make cruelity free fur and grow it in a lab.......then everyone can be happy. Just kidding, thats gross.

• DeeRockDeeRock 1,836 Posts
    funny that you posted this. i was just looking through an old issue of complex where they do spot checks and talk to certain folks who are on top of the scene there. this issue was supreme and sureshot. supreme's must have was his mink coat.

Don't forget about the matching hat!!! Lol.........

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    this year my fur game was at an all-time high

• I know these things are supposed to be a sign of riches and extravagance. But everytime I see an old lady with a fur coat on, I want to puke. It's not like they're wearing the fur of a cool animal like a lion (not that I would ever condone killing such a magnificent beast), but always the fur of a rodent-like creature with some brownish-blackish fur. Shit just looks like carnage. I'm not vegetarian and believe you me, I can get down with a decent leather jacket (though I sport a wool coat most times).

But every year I see these coats and forget that they were once the money coat, the top of the line fits. I can't believe it. Anyway, it kind of makes me want to carry around a can of red paint.

I would fully support fur coats if I felt the people had gone to battle against a creature of equal or greater weight and are wearing their coats as a trophy.

I think their tacky from a pure fashion standpoint because often it looks like several animals stitched together. Honestly, I think Peta people wouldn't be so up in arms if these coats were made out of ugly animals.

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts
    Personally, I have nothing against wearing fur. I dont understand why people get bent out of shape about other peoples choices. If you dont like it dont buy it, but why be pissed if someone else feels differently?? I think peta and anti-fur campaigns are no different than evangelist right wing pro-life folks that condenm anyone for believing in something they think is wrong. Its a personal choice and if it doesnt affect you directly why go on about how awful it is??

Have you told De how you feel? (I keed!)

• kalakala 3,361 Posts
    as a vegan/veg imho fur is fucked up because of how they treat the animals -as a commodity and they do fucked up shit to mink before they kill them
    it grim as hell and you wouldn't wish it on anyone
    BUT

Shit looks Fly

can't really pimp/lean without it

shit is warm

and life is too short

dress what you want

who gives a fuck what i think ya know?

eskimos tell peta to eat it

context is an issue here

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,902 Posts
    I used to wear my dad's old fake-fur coat to school. I was rocking that malnourished Jimmy Durante / Bernie Winters look, but like, all the NYC B-Boys had sheepskins so I thought this would be close enough. Only, in Widnes, they weren't too down with the NYC B-Boy scene and so I was clowned mercilessly but a few hot girls gave me props, which was worth it at that age.

The transient fat issue is of course much more important than the death of a few vermin.

• I see some of these folks out here wearing furs and I think, "damn, they treat those animals better dead than alive."

Once in college I was taking this sound engineering class. One rich bitch classmate of mine (just telling it like it is, folks) announced to us all that she would be doing an audio project on animal rights.

The day she said it, she was wearing this long, conspicuous-looking fur coat that was dragging the ground. To this day, I wish that I, or somebody else, had busted her out on that shit.

Now, I'm no vegetarian either - I wouldn't object to, say, leather, and I eat meat on the regular. But based on that experience in that college class, I've had the hardest time taking women in fur coats seriously. I knew too many shallow, bridge-burning Paris Hilton types in college who kept rocking that look like we were supposed to be impressed. (This was late '80s/early '90s, before the PETA types damn near drove the fur out of existence.) And they looked good wearing them animals, I ain't gonna lie, but for once my mind overrides my penis -just from those old college encounters, I have a serious bias against that shit. And men in furs look even worse.