excellent resource for avant garde music/film/etc

awallawall 673 Posts
edited June 2005 in Strut Central
anyone checked this site? www.ubu.comHUGE database of free mp3s (of whole albums), short films, writings, interviews, outsider/found art. all stuff that is out of print or was never available. in the first five mintues I browsed it I found the marshall mcluhan "medium is the message" LP, the John Cage and Sun Ra collaboration album, an interview with Jean-Luc Godard, some early Man Ray shorts...so much material you can get lost in it for hours. i think they might be taking the site down soon so jump on this shit now.

Comments

• MoSSMoSS 458 Posts
    Damn... good look'n. I needed a short off there. I would have really have been gassed a year or two ago as I was looking for the Kenneth Anger at one point

• grandpa_shiggrandpa_shig 5,799 Posts

awesome! wish i could watch these. im not a big fluxus fan tho. but hey, cant go wrong with ruttman, ray, moholy-nagy stuff.

• ariel_calmerariel_calmer 3,762 Posts
    Very cool website, too bad they're ending it. Have wiled away a lot of slow days at the job there.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    yowza!
    carolee schneeman and nam june paik AND hans richter - thank you for the link!

OH SHIT!

allow me to big up the dude david antin as he was a pal o mine during my college "read-a-book" days. a man after my own heart whose poems/prose was custom fitted to poppa shigs cuz it was meant to be heard and not read and in fact there is quite a bit lost in reading his stuff.

i used to trade him free jazz mixtapes for new directions anthologies dude had lying around his house. one of the great storytellers of our time. dude got paid for getting up on stage and babbling for an hour. it is a craft i tell you!

• mrmatthewmrmatthew 1,575 Posts
    This just made my day!! Thanks.

• high_chigh_c 1,384 Posts
    4'33"
    John Cage
    BBC 4, 2004 (9:22)
    January 15, 2004

Radio 3 plays 'silent symphony'

BBC Radio 3 has aired more than four minutes of complete silence... by design.

The BBC Symphony Orchestra gave a performance of composer John Cage's seminal piece 4'33", which does not contain a single note.

Radio 3 broadcast the entire composition live, even having to switch off its emergency system that cuts in when there is apparent silence.

This shit is bangin! Although it sounds like he's bitin my man Berhardt Gluckman.

4'33"
    John Cage
    BBC 4, 2004 (9:22)
    January 15, 2004

Radio 3 plays 'silent symphony'

BBC Radio 3 has aired more than four minutes of complete silence... by design.

The BBC Symphony Orchestra gave a performance of composer John Cage's seminal piece 4'33", which does not contain a single note.

Radio 3 broadcast the entire composition live, even having to switch off its emergency system that cuts in when there is apparent silence.

This shit is bangin! Although it sounds like he's bitin my man pootie tang[/b].

• Design enthusiasts, don't miss their online coverage of Aspen Magazine. So bangy bangy.

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    A friend of mine just put me up on ubu.com, and I'm so stunned I have to revive this thread. People who didn't catch it the first time need to do it now.

This website is incredible. Just finished watching Roland Kirk & John Cage - "Sound", and it's straight up .

There is so much amazing stuff there: righteous speak from Bobby Seale, Frank Zappa on talking assholes, polish experimental radio, Edgar Varese, Man Ray, Mick Jaggers soundtrack from "Invocation???", "Expanded Cinema" as .pdf, Aspen Mag ??? the list of nuggets is endless. I'm just getting started with this. I recall that the 365 days project has been up in other threads, but y'all have to look at the zillion other things they have in the archives. It's a veritable sm??rg??sbord of cultural treasures.

• awallawall 673 Posts

This website is incredible. Just finished watching Roland Kirk & John Cage - "Sound", and it's straight up .

There is so much amazing stuff there: righteous speak from Bobby Seale, Frank Zappa on talking assholes, polish experimental radio, Edgar Varese, Man Ray, Mick Jaggers soundtrack from "Invocation???", "Expanded Cinema" as .pdf, Aspen Mag ??? the list of nuggets is endless. I'm just getting started with this. I recall that the 365 days project has been up in other threads, but y'all have to look at the zillion other things they have in the archives. It's a veritable sm??rg??sbord of cultural treasures.

yeah i gave that cage/roland kirk thing it's own thread a while ago. essential viewing.

there is SO MUCH amazing stuff on there that i never really get bored.

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    I must have been sleeping . Oh well, a good thing can't get mentioned too many times.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    Design enthusiasts, don't miss their online coverage of Aspen Magazine. So bangy bangy.

INSANE IN DA MEMBRANE!!!!!!

• JoshDJoshD 215 Posts
    this is fantastic, thanks for sharing.

• nrichnrich 932 Posts
    Just finished watching Roland Kirk & John Cage - "Sound", and it's straight up .

this flick is ill! I really like this style of film making too. any other video recommendations?

climaxible force of being here

• this site is great..listening to some interviews...fucking crazy!