Mariska Veres of Shocking Blue R.I.P.

soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
edited December 2006 in Strut Central
I haven't got any positive confirmation of this, but if it's true, it's such sad news.-------------------------------------------------------Shocking Blue Singer Dead Mariska Veres, of the 1970's pop group Shocking Blue has died from cancer aged 59. The group had the worldwide hit 'Venus' in 1970. The song reached the top of the American music charts making it to number one.-------------------------------------------------------I interviewed Mariska in 1994 and she seemed to be a genuinely sweet soul with a positive attitude, good feelings about her past accomplishments & bandmates, and nothing bad to say about anyone. This isn't the Shocking Blue's most well-known, or even their best, song, but it seems to be fitting for this tragic news: Rock in the Sea Mariska you will be missed.

Comments

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
    That's sad. They were a tight band and her singing was a major key. "Love Buzz" still kills it to this day!!!!!!

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts

• TabaskoTabasko 1,357 Posts
    I haven't got any positive confirmation of this, but if it's true, it's such sad news.

-------------------------------------------------------
    Shocking Blue Singer Dead
    Mariska Veres, of the 1970's pop group Shocking Blue has died from cancer aged 59. The group had the worldwide hit 'Venus' in 1970. The song reached the top of the American music charts making it to number one.
    ---------------------------

It's true. She died from cancer.

sad news indeed.

• Yeah saw this on Dutch TV yesterday.
    The weird thing is i copped the 'At Home' lp a few days ago and was listening to it a day before she passed away..A Dutch legend only 59 years old..very sad news.

Rust in vrede Mariska.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    RIP.

• DJFerrariDJFerrari 2,411 Posts
    Oh man... that's terrible news. No lie, Shocking Blue is my favorite rock group ever.

RIP Mariska

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts
    Sad news. Will listen to "The Butterfly and I" today.