Futura 2k, getting tired?

knewjakknewjak 1,231 Posts
edited June 2005 in Strut Central
Really, how long is he going to ride the pointmen theme out? Do you guys notice this? Its been about 10 years since he has changed his style in any way. Some may argue that one should just stick with a formula that works, and some may say that method is for suckers who are afraid of changing it up. Thoughts?-ksame goes for Shepard Fairey and the Andre the Giant steeze. The guys get mad press and respect, but yawn...

Comments

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    There's this really cool thing that artists/musicians/dancers/etc have, I think it's called a style, but I could be wrong.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    I'm getting tired of waiting for you to send me that mp3...

I like some of the new Recon stuff, and Fairey's new magazine is kinda nice. I get a feeling no one here could really give a shit though.

• soulrezsoulrez 565 Posts
    this a good question, im stumped...

• knewjakknewjak 1,231 Posts
    There's this really cool thing that artists/musicians/dancers/etc have, I think it's called a style, but I could be wrong.

and are you sayin' that a style can't get tired?

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts

I like some of the new Recon stuff, and Fairey's new magazine is kinda nice. I get a feeling no one here could really give a shit though.

good point

The "urban skate street culture art fashion toy shoe" market following is limited to a few first adopters and industry heads. What has happened is these trends start hot but trickle down lukewarm to the masses (Nike Presto, anyone?) It's an industry that is extremely inbred and innovation has stagnated since the late 90's. How many more retro graphics and singular (read: monotonous), style-oriented pieces can an artist make? I'm glad some are stepping up (Maharishi, Silas, Park Walk (I forget what Will Bankhead's new company is called), and some random japanese labels), but in truth most of this stuff is just recycled doo doo that shows up on every magazine from Anthem to Evilmonito to Beinghunted. Mega yawn at most of this ish. Saying, not meant to be a diss. Don't get me wrong, I love me some logo flippin' tweaks, but I'm rallying for some some new ish. I luh this stuff.

Regardless, mega props to F2K's and Shep's longevity as artists and innovators, no doubt. How many artists can re-invent themselves and still maintain a good portion of their cred while staying relevant and profitable? Saying.

cool beans Martin, spittin' that talk on the same level

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    Do's'e/Futura/Neckface[/b]/Shepherd

NOWHERE CLOSE TO THE SAME CATEGORY. PLEASE.

replace with TWIST BARRY MCGEE plaese

I'm taking my authentic TWIST piece to the grave.

thanks

• knewjakknewjak 1,231 Posts
    When it truly gets tired they will just start doing something else.

yeah, but part of my point is when does it 'truly get tired'?
    When the sales drop? or when they have enough self control to say 'ok thats enough I'm moving on'. It makes you wonder where their mind is. Sure everyone needs to get paid, but they are seriously pimping out their art. Do we need Futura 2000 shoe liners? I think not. Should we want them? I hope not.

and yes, Futura shoe liners really exist.

-k

• emyndemynd 830 Posts
    What has happened is these trends start hot but trickle down lukewarm to the masses (Nike Presto, anyone?) It's an industry that is extremely inbred and innovation has stagnated

I'm not gonna claim to be an expert on any of this shit, but from what I've noticed, a lot of that bullshit starts off as some pretty interesting and potentially subversive shit. Then it becomes popular and marketable and then stagnates like a muuuuuuug (i.e. Shepard Fairey). I don't mean to come across as some sort of elitist, but to some degree, I feel like it's almost on some shit where if you get too popular and marketable, it's worth considering that you might be doing something "wrong" (i.e. uninteresting).

...not that I know anything about this shit.

-e

I think Twist does a decent job of switching his stuff up to some degree. I might be biased.

No doubt, look at the progression (refinement) of his style since the early 90's. Dude has game and stays PAID for that ish. Peace to his family, RIP Margaret Kilgallen.

game (painted!) over!!!!

• asprinasprin 1,765 Posts
    Keep in mind that this is POP ART we are talking about. Popular culture is destined to stagnation and mundanity.

Keep in mind that this is POP ART we are talking about. Popular culture is destined to stagnation and mundanity.

really?

• I think what he means is folks MILK it...'till the end of the cow.