Kraftwerk LIVE!

Secret_ChimpSecret_Chimp 915 Posts
edited June 2005 in Strut Central
Saw these guys play last night here in DC. It was fucking awesome. Even though it was just 4 dudes standing up there with laptops, it was quite an experience.Even though I'm not a huge fan of theirs (I don't think I could listen to any of their albums straight through), this was really incredible. The sound was sooo good. And they had great visuals.All 4 of them stood up there with their black suits and were completely stoic. Not a single smile.I think they played 3 encores, too.Great stuff, I recommend this to all you electronica heads out there.

Comments

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    My lady & I have tix for Fri here in Detroit - looking fwd to it, def.

---

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    aaaaarrrrgh why isnt this coming up north!!!

• saulgravysaulgravy 112 Posts
    i saw them last time they were in san francisco. it was indeed awesome! at one point, the curtain closed, and when it reopened, they'd been replaced by moving dummies. then the dummies "performed" a song. best show i'd seen in a long time!

• Kraftwerk is the shiiiiit.

As far as live electronic music goes, THESE DUDES ARE THE FUTURE:
    http://www.yip-yip.com

Saw them open up for Mahjongg last week and they were so ill. From the
    albino Sandpeople costumes to the voice-changer microphone to the
    ridiculous keyboard + giant drums music, their live show is not to be
    fucked with. So weird and so cool.

• i saw them last time they were in san francisco. it was indeed awesome! at one point, the curtain closed, and when it reopened, they'd been replaced by moving dummies. then the dummies "performed" a song. best show i'd seen in a long time!

Yeah, that part was so dope! And the masks on the robots looked just like them.

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    Kraftwerk live is the straightup bomb! I've seen them live twice: '91 and '98. Both times were mind-blowing. For anyone who's interested in checking out the older version of Kraftwerk live, I can recommend this:

or any other of the numerous live bootlegs that are out. The above is from '75, and it's really interesting to hear the more primitive technical level they were on, wieved with current eyes. At one point the equipment even fucks up, and one of the guys is forced to stall the audience while they do some rewiring . Still, they were ahead of their time and the music is timeless.

• MondeyanoMondeyano Reykjavik 863 Posts
    i saw them last time they were in san francisco. it was indeed awesome! at one point, the curtain closed, and when it reopened, they'd been replaced by moving dummies. then the dummies "performed" a song. best show i'd seen in a long time!

Yeah, that part was so dope! And the masks on the robots looked just like them.
    Wordings. Saw them play in Iceland last year and they were extremely dope. Thought it was funny while all the "music dudes" were getting down, meaning moving slightly, the visuals dude was stiff as a board. He didn't move for the entire performance. DEDICATION BITCHES!!

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    There's a torrent of one of the DC shows here:
    http://www.dimeadozen.org/torrents-details.php?id=44541

Setlist
    -------
    Man machine
    Detroit techno (not sure of this song's name but Detroit and Germany were repeated)
    Tour de france
    Tour de france ii (early)
    Vitamin
    Autobahn
    The Model
    Neon Lights
    Radioactivity
    Trans-Europe Express

Encore 1
    -------
    12345678 / Computerworld
    Home Computer
    Pocket Calculator

Encore 2
    ---------
    Robots

Encore 3
    ---------
    EKG
    Aerodynamik
    Boing Bumm Tschak / Music Non Stop

Not sure of the sound quality, but the guy gives it a 4 out of 5.