PRODUCERSTRUT: Selling the mpc

pjl2000xlpjl2000xl 1,795 Posts
edited December 2006 in Strut Central
Im thinking about selling my mpc. Ive been using ableton pretty extensively and am sort of phasing the mpc out. I love the mpc and all but ableton can do all of its features, from the sampling, chopping, to sequencing. Its just hard to get rid of it for sentimental reasons. It was what i really learned on and ive had it for over 5 years now. but i could really use a motu soundcard, 2 gigs of ram for this pc, and maybe a new mixer. I know though when i get some decent cashflow around i will purchase another 2000xl no doubt. But times is hard right now. what would you do? Keep the mpc around gathering dust, or beef up studio...

Comments

• kalakala 3,361 Posts
    when was the last time you made a beat with your mpc?
    its hard to beat that tactille feel as much as it is a pain in the ass to work with
    [editing,redraw time,all the limits it imposes ]
    but
    the filters and their envelopes as well as the filter cut offs and the seq clock feel is special
    as well as the pad feel and the low end whompass are not the same with a computer

taking each pad/drum/sample and hardware synth into a console strip and eqing/compressing/effecting at the at the board has a huge organic impact as opppsed to plugins and soft synths

i like them both but if you do individual outs thru a real board I can hear a gigantic varience in depth in the finished song.

as opposed to dialing in an approximation of that with pro tools/live

which also works and is much easier but less visceral?

• SupergoodSupergood 1,213 Posts
    Yeh, if money was tight, I'd probably sell since I didn't use it all that often. If money were not an issue, though, I'd keep it just for sentimental value and the odd occassion when I wanted to produce tracks in different way. Sometimes stepping away from the norm (which is now mainly Ableton, right?) can be inspirational during times of writer's/producer's block.

Lately I've been producing exclusively in Reason, but sometimes I like to go back to the ol' Cubase 4/VST instrument combination just fer kicks.

SG

• pjl2000xlpjl2000xl 1,795 Posts
    yeah i mean the attachment i have to it is the only real issue. I never sample with it though anyway, ive been using it just as a sequencer since i first got live 3. I found the sample engine limited, lack of filters frustrating, editing was a hassle, basically it is just a drum sampler when it comes down to it. I use wavelab to sample and loop shit now, ableton to do editing, chopping, mixing, midi routing, effects, etc... i also use reason as a vsti, and im just starting to get into sonar 6 to mix down my completed ableton beats.

the more i think about i think im going to sell it. I can get this phonic firewire mixer

http://www.zzounds.com/item--PHOHELIX18FW
    some ram, and a new hd probably with the money from the mpc. I have a trigger finger so its not like im losing the pad feel.

you think ill get a better price on it because its all customed out?

• funny you brought this up, cause I've been thinking the same thing. I love the .wav editor and the pads, but haven't used it in a while. Thinking of getting the new MPD 24:

and rocking the computer with it.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    if you aren't using it and you have adjusted your workflow towards ableton, then i dont see why you should keep it. one important thing to realize is that due to differences in workflow, you may create/notice different beats/things depending on what you are using which could or could not be important for you. i was going to sell my mpc but decided to keep it just because i really don't like computer sequencers all that much