Highest-earning actresses (WTF related)

rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
edited November 2006 in Strut Central
The Hollywood Reporter's annual list of Hollywood's highest-earning actresses1. Nicole Kidman $16 million-$17 million2. Reese Witherspoon $15 million3. Renee Zellweger $15 million4. Drew Barrymore $15 million5. Cameron Diaz $15 million6. Halle Berry $14 million7. Charlize Theron $10 million8. Angelina Jolie $10 million9. Kirsten Dunst $8 million-$10 million10. Jennifer Aniston $8 millionZellwegger? Barrymore? Man Hollywood sucks. What a vast, talentless wasteland.

Comments

• The Hollywood Reporter's annual list of Hollywood's highest-earning actresses

1. Nicole Kidman $16 million-$17 million
    2. Reese Witherspoon $15 million
    3. Renee Zellweger $15 million NO TALENT
    4. Drew Barrymore $15 million NO TALENT
    5. Cameron Diaz $15 million NOOO TALENT
    6. Halle Berry $14 million
    7. Charlize Theron $10 million
    8. Angelina Jolie $10 million
    9. Kirsten Dunst $8 million-$10 million HAS BEEN
    10. Jennifer Aniston $8 million STICK TO TV

Zellwegger? Barrymore? Man Hollywood sucks. What a vast, talentless wasteland.

• I'm not mad at the nicole kidman being #1- she's done some pretty challenging work:

• I'm not mad at the nicole kidman being #1- she's done some pretty challenging work:

• Yeah she's definitely done some good work; I'm not mad at her. I guess Kidman is pretty much all we got these days in terms of younger, serious actresses making big ticket movies?

Reese Witherspoon: Prolly my fav on this list. "Election" is dope, "Legally Blonde" is actually pretty funny too. And walk the line was a good performance. I could do without Freeway. But she's good, despite that her work is sorta on the lighthearted/silly side (Walk the Line aside).

Renee Zellweger: Dude, I can't stand this broad. Jerry Macguire, while a good movie, was good DESPITE homegirl, not at all because of her. And Bridget Jones and the rest of the romantic comedy bullshit? She was in Dazed and Confused (dope flick), but not even a speaking part so I don't think that counts...

Drew Barrymore: Wow. Just wow. Can't understand how she is so highly paid. Firestarter was dope. ET was dope. But those were so long ago it's like a wholly different actress at this point. And if memory serves me correct she has done one inexcusably bad romantic/comedic Adam Sandler vehicle (50 First Dates) and one OK romantic/comedic Adam Sandler vehicle (Wedding Singer) and that's about it. (Can't hate on Poison Ivy, but somehow I don't think that performance factors into her Hollywood status these days)

Cameron Diaz: YAWN. Frogface (but nice ass). I'd blap. But really no good movies besides Something About Mary.

Halle Berry: Uhhh....fine as hell but terrible actress right? I mean isn't that like universally accepted? Her "role" in X-Men is often presented as one of the more embarassing "performances." She has some good movies (Boomerang, Jungle Fever etc.) but her more "serious" work, e.g. Monster's Ball are actually her worst movies.

Charlize Theron: Said it before; will say it again: Poor man's Ashley Judd straight up.

Angelina Jolie: Whatever. That's like it's own thread. I think she's a) NOT that fine and b) makes whack flicks.

Kirsten Dunst: Bring it On is a bona fide classic. Besides that it's like all after school specials and shit, right?

Jennifer Aniston: YAWN. Again: derivative, formulaic romantic comedies. Shit is boring. Nothing substantive to her work.

HOLLYWOOD SUCKS RIGHT NOW.

• Kirsten Dunst is dope. Joint-smoking-in-undies-while-jumping-on-bed in "Eternal Sunshine" is scorched into my retinas. I dig her performances.

I became a Theron fan after her stint on "ARrested Development". The kudos she got for "Monster" were well-deserved.

Not beefing, but who are the actresses you'd like to see on the list instead? I think half of those are decent, half are wack. Par for the American course, eh?

• Not beefing, but who are the actresses you'd like to see on the list instead? I think half of those are decent, half are wack. Par for the American course, eh?

Saying. (Though for me it's more like 3/4 whack). I just wish there was better shit out there.

• Come on, you're all hatters. These people pretend to be other people by reading someone elses work aloud. That's a serious talent that deserves the annual budget of a small country.

Not to mention these people are just plain better than us mere mortals. I've heard that celebrities don't even use the toilet!

• Decent actresses who didn't make the cut:

Scarlet Johanson
    Kate WInslet
    Rachel Griffiths
    Rosario Dawson
    Edie Falco (may ahve been the best worker on both "Oz" and "Sopranos"??)

• Come on, you're all hatters. These people pretend to be other people by reading someone elses work aloud. That's a serious talent that deserves the annual budget of a small country.

Not to mention these people are just plain better than us mere mortals. I've heard that celebrities don't even use the toilet!

She was so AWFUL in Eyes Wide Shut

• Halle Berry: Uhhh....fine as hell but terrible actress right? I mean isn't that like universally accepted? Her "role" in X-Men is often presented as one of the more embarassing "performances." She has some good movies (Boomerang, Jungle Fever etc.) but her more "serious" work, e.g. Monster's Ball are actually her worst movies.

yo son! dont front on.... hahaha

Kate WInslet

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts
    Yeah she's definitely done some good work; I'm not mad at her. I guess Kidman is pretty much all we got these days in terms of younger, serious actresses making big ticket movies?

This may be splitting hairs, but isn't she like 40 years old? That doesn't qualify as a young actress, she's closer to Edie Falco than to Scarlett Johanssen. And I'm 37 so don't throw the age-ist accusation at me, it's just an observation.

Kate WInslet

I swear to G*d am I the only one who can't think of a single other movie homegirl has been in besides Titanic? Obviously she's got some other ones under her belt, and I could easily google/IMDB her. But it just seems like for an actress THAT famous (and if you don't believe she's that famous, go the the UK, where she is HUGE), she hasn't really done that much.

• Yeah she's definitely done some good work; I'm not mad at her. I guess Kidman is pretty much all we got these days in terms of younger, serious actresses making big ticket movies?

This may be splitting hairs, but isn't she like 40 years old? That doesn't qualify as a young actress, she's closer to Edie Falco than to Scarlett Johanssen. And I'm 37 so don't throw the age-ist accusation at me, it's just an observation.

I guess I just associate her more with a younger crowd than, say, Frances McDormand or Kathy Bates. They represent an older bunch for me. Maybe I'm wrong. BTW both of them are prolly better than anyone on the list up there.

• Kate WInslet

I swear to G*d am I the only one who can't think of a single other movie homegirl has been in besides Titanic? Obviously she's got some other ones under her belt, and I could easily google/IMDB her. But it just seems like for an actress THAT famous (and if you don't believe she's that famous, go the the UK, where she is HUGE), she hasn't really done that much.

heavenly creatures was one of her early films and it is a bangor.

• yeah she's got a couple. but her canon just doesn't seem extensive enough to warrant all the fame. she seems to hardly ever work. who's her agent?

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts

Drew Barrymore: Wow. Just wow. Can't understand how she is so highly paid. Firestarter was dope. ET was dope. But those were so long ago it's like a wholly different actress at this point. And if memory serves me correct she has done one inexcusably bad romantic/comedic Adam Sandler vehicle (50 First Dates) and one OK romantic/comedic Adam Sandler vehicle (Wedding Singer) and that's about it. (Can't hate on Poison Ivy, but somehow I don't think that performance factors into her Hollywood status these days)

Barrymore has her cutesy romantic comedy lead act honed to a fine art, she's been in the game for a long time now and think the money she gets is probably as much to do with knowing how to play hollywood as much as anything. Also can't forget the Charlie's Angels films where she not only starred but produced them as well giving her a reasonable amount of power in hollywood terms.

Zellweger should no way in fucking hell be on that list though.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts

Barrymore has her cutesy romantic comedy lead act honed to a fine art, she's been in the game for a long time now and think the money she gets is probably as much to do with knowing how to play hollywood as much as anything. Also can't forget the Charlie's Angels films where she not only starred but produced them as well giving her a reasonable amount of power in hollywood terms.

Yep, i think Barrymore produces a lot of her own work. So she's bound to be paid well.

The list doesn't seem too bad. And the male equivelant isn't a lot better. But it's pretty amazing the difference in pay between the sexes.

Will Ferrell
    Earnings: $40 million*

Johnny Depp
    Earnings: $37 million*

Ray Romano
    Earnings: $36.5 million*

Will Smith
    Earnings: $35 million*

Denzel Washington
    Earnings: $30 million*

Tobey Maguire
    Earnings: $32 million*

Tom Cruise
    Earnings: $31 million*

Adam Sandler
    Earnings: $28 million*

Matt Damon
    Earnings: $27 million*

Brad Pitt
    Earnings: $25 million*

(this is probably out of date, but its the only one I could google.)

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts

Ray Romano

Ray Romano

Ray Romano

Ray Romano

Ray Romano

Ray Romano

Ray Romano

Ray Romano

• Ray Romano

Ray Romano

Ray Romano

Ray Romano

Ray Romano

Ray Romano

Ray Romano

Ray Romano

I was wondering about that too.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    yeah she's got a couple. but her canon just doesn't seem extensive enough to warrant all the fame. she seems to hardly ever work. who's her agent?

It's because she doesn't do hollywood blockbuster films. She's more geared to artsie type deals. Where 99.9% of say the people on the strut would never watch. Loved her in things like Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, Sense and Sensibility, Heavenly Creatures.

I'm actually glad she doesn't take big roles.

But then, what do I know. In the mid 90's I thought Parker Posey was going to be huge until she did Josie and the Pussycats and I lost a lil bit of respect for her. And same goes for Rosario Dawson. Love her and she did that... And Pluto NASH... Lawd have mercy.

Tho, she did make me start to like her again with Sin City!

• I still gots love for Parker Posie though!

• thropethrope 750 Posts
    this thread seems pretty

and to turn this into a homo argument, bridget jones diary (the first one) is literally infinitely better than legally blonde

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Yo,

I thought Charlize Theron did an excellent job in North Country. But I agree with most, a lot of that list of young actresses was just plain boring. How about these (in no particular order)?

-Kerry Washington.
    -Rachel McAdams.
    -Hillary Swank.
    -Thora Birch. (maybe).
    -Christina Ricci (maybe).

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• Kirsten Dunst is scorched into my retinas. I dig her teeth.

• thropethrope 750 Posts
    i thought monster was horrible, came off like a lifetime original movie. i blame the director i guess.

was pleasantly surprised by north country. good flick.

• literally infinitely better

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

-Kerry Washington.

Yes--more films featuring Kerry Washington, plaese.

Kate WInslet

And lest we forget...