audio engineering jargon. Flying tracks?

pjl2000xlpjl2000xl 1,795 Posts
edited November 2006 in Strut Central
I was just reading something and came across flying tracks in a software daw. What does this mean? Its that automation? Ive heard the term a few times but it never really registered.

Comments

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    I'm pretty sure it means sending a group of tracks from one interface to another, such as flying tracks from Pro Tools to an analog console for mixdown, or from a DAT into the DAW. Someone correct me if I'm wrong though.

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    Its like when some annoying r&b chick is singing a shitty hook on a hip hop song, and they're like "ok, fly the hook in, im going to go watch t.v. and get some food".

Basicicly you take the hook vocals and double them to everywhere that the hook should be in a track.

• I'm pretty sure it means sending a group of tracks from one interface to another, such as flying tracks from Pro Tools to an analog console for mixdown, or from a DAT into the DAW. Someone correct me if I'm wrong though.

that's pretty close/pretty much it.

to fly-in a track means to add sounds into a mix that have no synchronization.

alternatively, i've also heard the term used for when one part from a song/performance is recorded and then re-recorded back into the song at a different place in the timeline.

it's similar (but not exactly) like punching-in a pre-existing recording (or at least that's my understanding).

• pjl2000xlpjl2000xl 1,795 Posts
    cool cool. Thanks for clearing that up. That just reminded me of an article in tape op i read last week where dude was talking about just flying in this vocal hook that he recorded somewhere else without the mix, like they didnt even know what key or tempo the song was in, but dude was like just sing this and gave a reference key with a guitar, and the vocal fit exactly into the mix perfect on some freaky type shit. Like what dude was saying about no sync, just kinda throwing it in there.