Next time somebody complains about rap violence

SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
edited November 2006 in Strut Central
Next time somebody complains about violence in rap lyrics, ask them what they think of this gnarly shit:I met a little girl in KnoxvilleA town we all know wellAnd every sunday eveningIn her home I'd dwellWe went to take an evening walkAbout a mile from townI picked a stick up off the groundAnd I knocked that fair girl down She fell down on her bended kneesFor mercy she did cry"Oh Willy, dear, don't kill me yetI'm unprepared to die"She never spoke another wordI only beat her moreUntil the ground around meWith her blood did flow I took her by her golden curlsAnd I dragged her 'round and 'roundThrowing her into the riverThat flows from Knoxville townGo down, go down, you Knoxville girlWith your dark and roving eyesGo down, go down, you Knoxville girlYou can never be my bride [/b]I started back to KnoxvilleGot there about midnightMy mother, she was worriedShe woke up in a frightSaying, "Dear son, what have you doneTo bloody up your clothes?"I told my anxious motherThat I was bleading in my nose I called for me a candleAnd I called for me a bedAnd I called for me a handkerchiefTo bind my aching headI rolled and thrashed the whole night throughAll horrors I did seeThe devil stood at the foot of my bedPointing his finger at me They carried me down to KnoxvilleAnd put me in a cellMy friends all tried to get me outBut none could grow my bailI'm here to waste my life awayDown in this dirty old jailBecause I murdered that Knoxville girlThe girl I loved so well"knoxville Girl" was a moderate hit for the Louvin Brothers in 1959.

Comments

• thropethrope 750 Posts
    that picture seriously creeps me out

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    Imagining them beating the shit out of some woman like in the song doesn't help.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    Appalachian CNN.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    Appalachian CNN.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!

I downloaded this album the other day and finally got around to listening to it today on my headphones. When they got to the part about beating her with a stick I was like "uh... did I just hear that right?" and for the rest of the song I was in total shock. I had to google the lyrics!

ILL.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    Appalachian CNN.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!

I downloaded this album the other day and finally got around to listening to it today on my headphones. When they got to the part about beating her with a stick I was like "uh... did I just hear that right?" and for the rest of the song I was in total shock. I had to google the lyrics!

ILL.
    From on the Three-chord Highway by Colin Escott:

"The Everley Brothers borrowed the sound of the Louvin Brothers. The Louvins sang an old murder ballad called 'The Knoxville Girl,' and if you dig around you'lll find that the Blue Sky Boys recorded an even spooker version twenty years earlier, in 1937, and that the first recorded version dated all the way back to the dawn of the country music record business in 1924. Dig around some more and you'll find that the song came over from England as 'The Wexford Girl,' but what's really interesting is that 'The Wexford Girl' isn't really 'The Knoxville Girl.' Something happened in the darkness and isolation of Appalachia, something indefinable.[/b] It happened before the recording machine, and it happened in the little hollers [sic] and valleys. The American experience warped and transformed the immigrants, changing their music as it changed them. 'The Knoxville Girl' is eerier and darker than 'The Wexford Girl,' despite the fact that 'The Wexford Girl' is more explicit" (vii).source

jesus!

• About 12 years ago, I had an opportunity to hang out with Charlie Louvin on several occasions. He was a creepy dude, to say the least.

About 12 years ago, I had an opportunity to hang out with Charlie Louvin on several occasions. He was a creepy dude, to say the least.

NO WAY!

DETAILS???

• About 12 years ago, I had an opportunity to hang out with Charlie Louvin on several occasions. He was a creepy dude, to say the least.

NO WAY!

DETAILS???

I am a fan of this oddball classic:

NO WAY!

DETAILS???

now...this is a story I'd like to hear...

• My then-girlfriend worked for a small (now defunct) label that was gonna put out Charlie's "comeback" record. I swear to God, he wanted to call it "Back to the Future." Anyway, dude was a handful.

When my friend who also worked at the label asked Charlie why he left his wife back in Bell Buckle, Tennessee. By the way, that's not a typo; he really was living in a town called BELL Buckle. Louvin, pushing 70 at the time, answered, "Bringin' your wife on tour...that's like bringin' a ham sandwich to a picnic."

That week, he walked into a radio station with the press team and the receptionist said, "Who are you here to see?" Without missing a beat, Charlie speaks up and says, "I don't know who they're here to see, but I'm here to see you!"

The next night, when my then-girlfriend showed up at his gig, he remarked, "You clean up real good--wanna dance?"

He would also regale us with stories of how his sons were "pussies." "They can't chop wood all day like I can."

And one of my favorites: the label head was a serious gourmand who ate out at every single meal. He took Charlie to a very high-end restaurant, where Charlie just squinted at the menu, ordered something, and requested a side of sliced jalapenos. When asked why, he stated (loudly), "That way, if I don't like the taste, I can just burn it out."

(Shakes head)

I also heard a story--not from him--about the Louvin brothers kickin' Elvis's ass in the 1950s, but I have no idea whether or not it was true.

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    HAHA, that story just made my day...

"ham sandwich to a picnic"...

NO WAY!

DETAILS???

I am a fan of this oddball classic:

'Great Atomic Power' and 'The Christian Life' are the schitt...

I think it was Charlie Louvin who had a rep as a supremely nasty and out of control drunk...

wow!

Thats the kind of dude I would hang out with ALL THE TIME.

• wow!

But does he get a seat in the lowrider???

wow!

But does he get a seat in the lowrider???

definitely. But I can't let him ride shotgun. He might actually bring a real shotgun.